Sound Design / Synthesis Resources

Everything Phatty.
markthom

Sound Design / Synthesis Resources

Post by markthom » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:41 am

Hi Guys, as a long time guitarist, but relatively fresh faced synthesist I currently feel like I'm only scratching the surface of my Sub 37 (and other bits and pieces) at the moment and am wondering if there are any great resources out there which will help me better understand the synths architecture and how it can be used to shape sounds?

As an example I'm still a bit wooly in terms of Modulation and Envelopes e.g. I can understand (and hear!) what the amp envelope does, but have yet to understand the filter envelope and it's applications and anything beyond things like simple vibrato effects via the modulation section is just guess work at the moment ;)

Syntorial has caught my eye, and I've worked through the free part which covers the basics, and was useful - anyone care to comment on the content you get once you actually buy it?

Any suggestions welcome!

Regards

namnibor

Re: Sound Design / Synthesis Resources

Post by namnibor » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:25 pm

These series of articles that this link will take you to is a master link for ALL the Sound On Sound, Gordon Reid "Synth Secrets" Series. It's the most comprehensive AND **FREE** collective of various synthesis tutorials and save from spending a few years as an apprentice with a master sound designer, here you have an invaluable resource and lifetime of learning. These actually ran for over -3- years on that website. If you scroll to very bottom of page/link it will be easier to start in proper order of the particular topics you wish to learn. Here you go: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/allsynthsecrets.htm
Sub 37

DonutDude

Post by DonutDude » Fri May 22, 2015 7:27 pm

I just started using the free version of Syntorial and really enjoy it. It is a unique program that plays a patch for you without showing you how the patch is set up. Then you try to recreate the sound you hear on your own using the built-in software synth. Very cool and worth checking out!

If you have a Voyager I'd also recommend downloading the Moog Voyager videos that go along with Syntorial. The videos take what you learned with the Syntorial software synth and apply them to the Voyager's controls. AWESOME!

Thanks markthom for the heads up on this!

www.syntorial.com

ImNotDedYet

Post by ImNotDedYet » Fri May 22, 2015 10:44 pm

namnibor wrote:These series of articles that this link will take you to is a master link for ALL the Sound On Sound, Gordon Reid "Synth Secrets" Series. It's the most comprehensive AND **FREE** collective of various synthesis tutorials and save from spending a few years as an apprentice with a master sound designer, here you have an invaluable resource and lifetime of learning. These actually ran for over -3- years on that website. If you scroll to very bottom of page/link it will be easier to start in proper order of the particular topics you wish to learn. Here you go: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/allsynthsecrets.htm
Great resource on all things synthesis, although some of it does require a degree in mathematics.