Slim Phatty - 2 modulations?

Everything Phatty.
jeebustrain

Slim Phatty - 2 modulations?

Post by jeebustrain » Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:07 pm

So I'm playing around with my Slim Phatty and I decided that I wanted to make the classic Cars "Let's Go" sound. I've done this several times and currently utilize AL-1 on my Kronos when I play it live (the sync sounds way better and less aliased than when I use the Prophet 12).

Anyway, so I set up a modulation source to have the filter envelope modulate OSC2 frequency, that works great. Now what I'd like to do is use something else (mod wheel, aftertouch, whatever) to trigger an LFO to modulate the overall pitch. I've been reading the manual and it I can't seem to figure out a way to do this. Is this possible on just the regular Slim Phatty? Or will this extra modulation require something like a CP-251?

autoy

Re: Slim Phatty - 2 modulations?

Post by autoy » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:45 pm

You do have a modulation destination 2 but the source, amount and rate are shared with the main one, as the Phattys (except the Sub37) have just one modulation bus. Yes, the CP-251 would let you add a second LFO for pitch, filter or amp via CV inputs.

jeebustrain

Post by jeebustrain » Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:52 am

well nuts, that's kind of what I thought. Thanks.

Tuskerfort

Post by Tuskerfort » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:06 am

This technique works for me. There are speeds below which the "LFO" does not go, of course ... but I get usable results at "vibrato" rates ...

http://forum.moogmusic.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=14650

Hoping this helps you ....

MoogProg

Post by MoogProg » Thu May 21, 2015 4:05 pm

BUMP! :D

Have been enjoying the Slim Phatty for a few weeks now, and to be honest the single LFO started to limit me. So I began sending the CV LFO out from a MicroBrute over to the Slim Phatty, to put more modulation into the sound—usually just slow pitch or filter mods to make things fatter. But then the Micro is limited by sharing its LFO with the Moog. :(

I figured there had to be a stand-alone LFO out there, just some simple solution, right? Today I finally discovered an Android app that creates a simple LFO signal, and its free (my kinda price). So, now I'm happily using my phone to modulate the Slim Phatty; has Sine, Square, both Triangles, and S&H. Slider or numerical entry for Rate, headphone Volume control is the Depth. So cool! 8)

medwaystudios

Post by medwaystudios » Fri May 22, 2015 9:41 am

Hi what's the name of the Android app, is it the 'microbrute' one?
Windows 7 x64 / Sub Phatty

MoogProg

Post by MoogProg » Fri May 22, 2015 10:17 am

It's just called LFO Generator and the description says he built it to control a MircoBrute. So, yea the Microbrute one. Very simple app.

Oh boy! It all gets so much better this morning! I decided to record a 5Hz Sine wave to a looper pedal, and that is working perfectly. This suggests I can record the CV ENV output from the MicroBrute to create complex CV loops, and one-shot CV effects. Also, I perhaps could overdub multiple waves to create summed CV signals.

Pretty much my head exploded on the vast possibilities low-frequency audio,and headphone cables can introduce to my mini-modular set-up. :shock:

medwaystudios

Post by medwaystudios » Fri May 22, 2015 6:58 pm

Thanks for the headsup will check this out just need to find my 3.5mm jack cable.

Did you have to amplify the mobile phone signal like the app description states?

MoogProg

Post by MoogProg » Sat May 23, 2015 8:34 am

medwaystudios wrote:Thanks for the headsup will check this out just need to find my 3.5mm jack cable.

Did you have to amplify the mobile phone signal like the app description states?
Read no instructions, just ran the app and plugged the headphone out to the Pitch CV IN of the Slim Phatty. With Volume set right at the 'warning level' (where it tells me I'm at risk of hearing damage LOL), the Slim Phatty reacts with a normal vibrato effect, and at full-tilt volume it gets pretty wild. For my purposes—basic thickening through pitch modulation—it works perfectly.

Filter CV is not working as well. I can achieve modulation, but something is not right about it as far as the depth is concerned. Not sure why.

Recording the CV signals to a Digitech Jamman Stereo gave mixed results, very similar to the above. LFO signals from the App and from the actual MicroBrute both recorded well, and reproduced themselves perfectly on playback. Meaning, I recording several minutes of me turning the Amount and Rate knobs and used that loop to modulate the pitch of a sound. Really cool!

But take note: Recording ENV signals was a complete wash. No success at all. So, mileage varies it seems. :?

medwaystudios

Post by medwaystudios » Wed May 27, 2015 1:09 pm

Cool thanks.

I remembered my Scope Modular can send out CV info so tried that and had some success. I had issues with slower LFO rates though where the full cycle wouldn't get recognized. I have a feeling it's due to the low hz being used which probably starts to get lost.

Higher audio rate LFO speeds worked fine though.

Btw I did stumble upon this which looks like a fairly inexpensive solution:

http://patchblocks.com/