Minifooger Chorus

Everything Phatty.
mmarsh100

Minifooger Chorus

Post by mmarsh100 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:48 pm

Soooooo, I have had a Digitech iStomp as the last effect in my Sub37 audio chain to 'stereoize' the sound. I don't switch it on all the time, but when I want stereo, there it is. Lately it has been sounding a little digital to my ears, so I decided to try the Minifooger Chorus as a replacement. Oh boy.

I got it (finally) yesterday and hooked it in and it sounds fantastic. Not only subtle chorus spread, but huge slow wobbles are possible as well as some awesome metallic modulated slap-back sounding stuff. Lots of tone shaping possibilities here and a GREAT substitute for the current 'stereo-izer'. I'll post some samples in this thread later this weekend.

My Sub37 chain looks like this:

Sub37 + Werkstatt as third oscillator -> Minifooger Delay -> Minifooger Chorus -> interface/computer. All Moog up to the interface!

Mike

JonLukas

Re: Minifooger Chorus

Post by JonLukas » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:55 pm

I have found that my Sub 37 can overload the inputs of my Strymon BigSky--so I use it in an aux loop which is less convenient than hooking it up inline.

The Sub37 can create a really hot output from some patches...do you find that you can overload the inputs of the Minifoogers? Or are you able to use the Sub 37 at full volume without any problems?
Pianoteq, Guda KickR, Drumaxx, Diva, Pigments, Flow Motion, Kontakt, Omnisphere 2, StudioLogic SL73, MainStage, Logic Pro X.
Downtempo performed live: http://echofabric.com

MoogProg

Post by MoogProg » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:29 pm

JonLukas wrote:I have found that my Sub 37 can overload the inputs of my Strymon BigSky--so I use it in an aux loop which is less convenient than hooking it up inline.
I run a similar chain. Sub37 -> Minifooger Delay -> Hardwire Supernatural Reverb. I find the reverb adds a 'digital' quality to the overall sound. Subtle difference but once I hear I cannot un-hear it, right? Probably need to move the reverb to an insert or send loop.
JonLukas wrote:The Sub37 can create a really hot output from some patches...do you find that you can overload the inputs of the Minifoogers? Or are you able to use the Sub 37 at full volume without any problems?
I asked this in another thread, too. No issues overloading of the MF effects, and in fact I use the Drive setting on the deIay quite a bit. Often find my best tones occur well over 0bd, and am looking for the best pad to bring my signal to -18db average.

mmarsh100

Post by mmarsh100 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:39 pm

The Sub37 can create a really hot output from some patches...do you find that you can overload the inputs of the Minifoogers? Or are you able to use the Sub 37 at full volume without any problems?
I don't run the Sub37 at full volume, particularly for patches with lots of resonance and/or multidrive. I adjust the volume as needed on the Sub37 so as not to overload anything in the chain. But, yes, I can overload the chorus at certain settings, and that is easily remedied by adjusting the master volume on the Sub37.

I'm kind of a stickler for proper gain structure since I want to hear the instrument and not something in the chain overloading. Unless I want to hear something in the chain overload, of course :D This means I am constantly listening and adjusting various places along the chain that affect gain staging. Particularly *after* the analog path and into the digital one...

*edited for grammar ... sheesh :oops:

Dapifer

Post by Dapifer » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:36 pm

Anyone know when the the Minifooger chorus is going to be released in the U.K?

I look forward to hearing a demo with the Sub 37. I just got the Mini delay this week and I was pleasantly surprised, especially by the drive. I didn't think it was something I would have a lot of use for given that the Sub 37 already has 2 types of distortion/drive but the MF delay has it's own organic grit that really compliments the sound.

All the chorus demo's I've heard are with guitar, I'm waiting to hear it with synth cos truthfully, if anything the mini delay is making me tempted to return it and buy the M104M for the functionality. I can't justify the price of it tho so if I can get my hands on the chorus it'll tie over my GAS for now.

MoogProg

Post by MoogProg » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:52 am

Dapifer wrote:I just got the Mini delay this week and I was pleasantly surprised, especially by the drive. I didn't think it was something I would have a lot of use for given that the Sub 37 already has 2 types of distortion/drive but the MF delay has it's own organic grit that really compliments the sound.
Completely agree about the great sound from MF Delay Drive control.

mmarsh100

Post by mmarsh100 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:04 pm

Howdy all -

Here is the promised demo, the fade in does not include the Chorus, but you *will* hear it kick in :) especially if you are listening in stereo: https://soundcloud.com/mmarsh/sub37minifoogerchorus

Chain:

Sub37 + Werkstatt as third oscillator -> MF Delay -> MF Chorus -> UAudio Apollo -> iMac

slabwax

Post by slabwax » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:37 pm

my Sub 37 chain is this

Sub37> Werkstatt (as 3rd osc) > Mini fogger bost> Mini fogger Chorus > Mini fogger Delay

I do need to install midi on the Werkstatt and buy a reverb pedal for the last in the fx chain. I'm thinking about the Polara by Digitech.

mmarsh100

Post by mmarsh100 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:55 pm

Not a bad choice! I have the Lexicon reverb plugin for My UAudio Apollo and it's pretty nice :)

Honestly, adding MIDI to the Wekstatt isn't hard. There are several very small MIDI-to-CV boards out there or you could go the Arduino route. I used this: http://www.midimplant.com/

slabwax

Post by slabwax » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:37 pm

I have the miniCV. I just have not built up the courage to start soldering yet. It would be my first attempt with a soldering iron in hand. I read here (most likely on the Werkstatt board) that if you have the Moog Werkstatt CV I/O adaptor you need to solder in a diode someplace in line. That was enough to stop me in my tracks. I do need to work though that.