Slim Phatty and Korg SQ1 via CV different tuning

Everything Phatty.
funkateer01

Slim Phatty and Korg SQ1 via CV different tuning

Post by funkateer01 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:56 am

Hi Guys!
I have a Slim Phatty for a couple of month and purchased a Korg SQ1 last week. For the first time in my life i patched two synth over gate and CV Pitch Connections, so I'm completely new to that stuff, only did midi-Connections bevor.
When i have my slim phatty pitch cv patched to the SQ1, the tuning is way off. Lowest note is supposed to be a c (which actually is when a Change the Connection to Midi), but it plays an e, and the distance to the highest is considerably less than an octave, somewhat between 10 and 11 semitones.
Autotune on Slim phatty is off and the CV Settings on the Korg are 1V/octave!
I'm I doing something wrong here? Probably a bad Korg SQ1? Ore maybe Korg and SP aren't compatible at all?
Any Input appreciated!
Thanks
Matt

ozfunghi

Re: Slim Phatty and Korg SQ1 via CV different tuning

Post by ozfunghi » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:18 am

If it's over CV, could it be a problem of compatibility? What hapens when you hook up the Korg to another synth (if you have one)?

Stuka

Post by Stuka » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:00 pm

Couple of things to try -

1. Make sure the Slim is warmed up before playing. Since it's a true analog synth, it can take a good 15 to 30 minutes for everything to really stabilize.

2. Run ALL the calibration routines as listed in the Slim manual. If the cal routines have never been run before, it can make a huge difference in tuning!
Little Phatty Solar CV, Minitaur, Slim Phatty (x2), MF-101, MF-102, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-105M, MF-108M, CP-251 (x2), Animoog app, Filtatron app, Model D app, Model 15 app...and some 5U modular and Doepfer stuff...

funkateer01

Post by funkateer01 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:27 pm

Hi guys!
Thanks for the quick answers.
Unfortunately I don't have another synth with CV Pitch Inputs.
I did the calibration routines yesterday. Right afterwards the lowest note triggered by the SQ1 suddenly was a c! But the highest note still wasn't an octave but 2 semitones less.
Big surprise when playing today after half an hour of warming up interiors of the SP: lowest note again an e!!
???
Matt

Marcie609

Post by Marcie609 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:12 pm

My advice would be to use the midi out for notes & the CV for Pitch / filter / env CV "effects".
I ran into the same thing using the CV out of my Waldorf Pulse 2
& its a calibration issue, there's nothing wrong per se with your gear.
You've basically discovered the reason that midi was invented!

kvitekp

Post by kvitekp » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:19 pm

Slim Phatty Pitch CV is not 1V/Oct ... mine was more like 1.2V/Oct, friend's 1.1V/Oct.

Your best chance with SP is to use MIDI for note pitch, just like Marcie609 recommended.

/Peter
www.midisizer.com - home of MidiALF MIDI/CV step sequencer, MidiREX MIDI Looper and more synth DIY stuff...

midilifestyle

Post by midilifestyle » Fri May 15, 2015 12:50 pm

The Korg SQ1 uses a Hz/octave standard whereas Moog gear uses a V/octave standard. To my knowledge these are incompatible unless you use additional cv gear to modify the signal

rove

Post by rove » Fri May 15, 2015 1:23 pm

midilifestyle wrote:The Korg SQ1 uses a Hz/octave standard whereas Moog gear uses a V/octave standard. To my knowledge these are incompatible unless you use additional cv gear to modify the signal

The SQ-1 can do both V/octave and Hz/octave, so make sure it is on the correct setting.

midilifestyle

Post by midilifestyle » Wed May 27, 2015 2:29 am

Oooh good to know...