Moog should make a portable synth with a larger keyboard

Everything Phatty.
Mike37

Moog should make a portable synth with a larger keyboard

Post by Mike37 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:35 am

Hi,

The new Sub 37 from Moog is great, and I like the less "well-behaved" sound (ie. closer to the Model D). However, as a jazz/fusion/prog musician, playing on a 3 octave keyboard is very limiting. 3.5 octaves is a minimum for comfortable playing, but 4 octaves is preferable. Moog should focus more on the performance aspect of their synths, as well as keeping the smaller size of the Sub 37, for less weight and better portability. Moog synths are great for expressive lead playing, except for the small keyboard range. (The Sub 37's large mod wheel section is a waste of space, and could make room for at least 3 more keys, down to a low "a".) The Voyager XL isn't a realistic option, as it's huge and not practical for smaller gigs. At least Moog could offer a Sub 37-like model with a larger keyboard (ie. 3.5-4 octaves) for performing jazz/rock musicians?

Thanks for reading.
Last edited by Mike37 on Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MoogProg

Re: Moog should make a portable synth with a larger keyboard

Post by MoogProg » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:49 am

Well, I just finished up a set of pop/prog-rock gigs around Asheville over the last month, all using the Sub37 as the top board, sitting over the incredibly heavyweight Triton Extreme. 88-keys of weighted action is nice to play, but is just too much to move alone (need help), and the Sub37 was always a pleasure, the perfect size and weight.

But, I will also say that my last solo ended up using almost the entire range, from the high B down to the lowest C#... 36 of 37 keys. So, you gotta point there! :wink:

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:17 am

Mike37 wrote:Moog synths are the very best for expressive lead playing IMO, except for the small keyboard range.
The large Mod Wheel section on the Sub 37's left side is certainly a waste of space, and could at least make room for 3 more keys, down to a low "A".
Hi Mike,

Unfortunately, creating a custom keybed with a non-standard number of keys would significantly increase the retail price.
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

lushr

Post by lushr » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:03 am

I do think that if the only issue is the number of keys then it's worth getting a decent midi keyboard of 61 keys or more. I'm sure now the slim phatty has been wound down, a slim 37 is not too far away, meaning you can pick whatever keyboard your heart desires.

Mike37

Post by Mike37 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:14 am

Thanks for the comments. Yes, I have to use a midi controller as keyboard for the Sub 37, but improvising on the Moog instrument itself is much more satisfying and inspiring. Imagine a Sub 49 (four octaves), that would be excellent. I would buy that in a heartbeat, and I think a lot of performing musicians would too! :)
Last edited by Mike37 on Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChiLam

Post by ChiLam » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:15 am

Wow! I can just imagine how cool that would be - A Sub37 with a couple of Slim37's racked up above it! Beautiful. :D

MoogProg

Post by MoogProg » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:39 am

Mike37 wrote:Thanks for the comments. Yes, I have to use a midi controller as keyboard for the Sub 37, but improvising on the Moog instrument itself is much more satisfying and inspirering. Imagine a Sub 49 (four octaves), that would be excellent. I would buy that in a heartbeat, and I think a lot of performing musicians would too! :)
Imagine a Sub64 with enough length to show/control all 64 steps of the sequencer.

Mike37

Post by Mike37 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:04 pm

I don't buy the argument that the synth would become too large. Moog could put the mod- and pitch wheels up on the left side of the panel above the keyboard, so the keyboard itself takes up the entire width of the synth. That way, a Moog Sub 49 (4 octaves) wouldn't be that much larger than the 37 version, but it would be much more practical for jazz/fusion/prog. This is really a no-brainer. With all the various synth models Moog now offers, they should have something portable with a wider keyboard. Look at synth/keyboard companies like Nord, that offers keyboards in different sizes for musicians with different needs...

Toine

Post by Toine » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:29 pm

Putting the mod and pitch wheels on the top panel above the keyboard is a bad idea according to my opinion.
My Nord stage 2 (wheel and stick on the upper left side above the keys) plays not so intuitive with the wheels as the Sub 37 does.
Personally I am happy with the amount of keys on the sub37, I just adjust my playing style (rock, pop, fusion) when playing on every keyboard with less than 88 keys.

Mike37

Post by Mike37 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:48 pm

Toine wrote:Putting the mod and pitch wheels on the top panel above the keyboard is a bad idea according to my opinion.
My Nord stage 2 (wheel and stick on the upper left side above the keys) plays not so intuitive with the wheels as the Sub 37 does.
Personally I am happy with the amount of keys on the sub37, I just adjust my playing style (rock, pop, fusion) when playing on every keyboard with less than 88 keys.
I'm certain Moog would be able to position/angle the wheels in a way, that would still make them very comfortable to use. Besides improvising, when playing certain jazz/fusion or prog/rock tunes one simply runs out of keys, which is frustrating. Yes, I could control the Moog synth from a grey-coloured plastic midi controller, but a big reason for buying a Moog (apart from the sound) is the experience of directly interacting with a beautifully crafted instrument. Again, I think Moog is ignoring a large part of their customer base, by insisting on making these small 2-3 octave keyboards (except for high-end studio gear like the Voyager XL).