Little Phatty Bricked

Everything Phatty.
7of9

Little Phatty Bricked

Post by 7of9 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:21 pm

Hi Guys

I was trying to do a firmware update on my little phatty due to my purchase of the Phatty VST/AU Editor.

Everything went South after the update. I can't send my Phatty for servicing for there is no distributor or service centre here in Singapore. :(
My Little Phatty is now brick, screen is blank and i can't do anything with it. I am in desperate need for help

I've written to moogmusic two days ago and I have yet got a reply :shock:

I've been searching the internet for help and i found this on youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VMCijPZiLU
The device used to reboot is a Silabs USB Debug Adaptor. http://www.silabs.com/products/mcu/pages/usbdebug.aspx
Reading through the tread i see that it need to be done with a hex file from moogmusic, which they don't give out. :cry:

Any advice from anyone here would be greatly appreciated.

With Regards
Jason

ozfunghi

Re: Little Phatty Bricked

Post by ozfunghi » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:26 pm

7of9 wrote:Hi Guys

I was trying to do a firmware update on my little phatty due to my purchase of the Phatty VST/AU Editor.

Everything went South after the update. I can't send my Phatty for servicing for there is no distributor or service centre here in Singapore. :(
My Little Phatty is now brick, screen is blank and i can't do anything with it. I am in desperate need for help

I've written to moogmusic two days ago and I have yet got a reply :shock:

I've been searching the internet for help and i found this on youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VMCijPZiLU
The device used to reboot is a Silabs USB Debug Adaptor. http://www.silabs.com/products/mcu/pages/usbdebug.aspx
Reading through the tread i see that it need to be done with a hex file from moogmusic, which they don't give out. :cry:

Any advice from anyone here would be greatly appreciated.

With Regards
Jason

Wait a few days longer for Moog to contact you. They seem to be understaffed a bit. It took them weeks to get back to me, but my mail seemed to have ended up in their spambox for some reason. If you don't hear from them the next week or so, try to contact them again. If possible, maybe by phone (though i understand that might not be so easy for you).

7of9

Post by 7of9 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:35 pm

Hi Ozfunghi

Thanks, :) I will wait for their reply. I am hoping to get this sorted, really in need to lay down some tracks with the Phatty on a recording. Sigh. Oh well.... :cry:

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:18 pm

If you have modest DIY skills (you can take something apart and put it back together properly) you might want to considering buying one of the debuggers from SiLabs. The 10 pin connector plugs into a 5x2 header connector on the back of the digital portion of the LP's board; and yes, you'll need the hex file to reprogram the micro controller which then may be flashed.

I'd offer to mail you mine but return postage to Singapore would cost more than you buying one brand new!

If you search around, I believe you'll find some instructions or a thread or two of folks that have done this. They may even be active forum members and you can lob some questions at them to better familiarize yourself and solve for any questions you might have whilst you wait for Tech support.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

kvitekp

Post by kvitekp » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:33 pm

7of9 wrote:Reading through the tread i see that it need to be done with a hex file from moogmusic, which they don't give out. :cry:
The Downloads section at moogmusic.com has version 3.21 of Slim Phatty firmware in various incarnations. All the zip files seem to contain .hex files.

/Peter
www.midisizer.com - home of MidiALF MIDI/CV step sequencer, MidiREX MIDI Looper and more synth DIY stuff...

Cartoonist

Post by Cartoonist » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:28 pm

Hi all,

I have recently experienced the same problem. I have purchased the debugger and have been downloading various hex files under guidance of Moog support.

However the Data and System files they have sent me are both version 3.xx and my LP is still non-operational. The Data file is getting through ok and the screen indicates that it is successful but the recent System file does not work. I am following the correct procedure.

Is it possible that the debugging process described does not work with version 3 hex files? I raised this with Moog support but they are unable to provide me with the earlier versions (the ones that are described in their own instructions, Cane Creek etc). I think I have read somewhere that only earlier versions will work with the USB debugger process.

If possible I would hugely appreciate it if someone who has successfully debricked their LP to send me the .hex files that worked for them.

Thank you!

dvanzandt

Post by dvanzandt » Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:06 pm

Hey guys--not sure if this is appropriate or allowed, but I successfully fixed my little phatty with the siLabs debugger and a hex file Moog sent me. It was a little tricky to get it to actually work, if I remember.

Anyways, I no longer need the debugger, and I'd be happy to sell this for half what I paid for it (I'll pay shipping). If you need some techy nerdy USB love, lemme know in a message and I'll mail this bing to someone for $20. I'd prefer to mail w/o USB cable to save on shipping.

7of9

Post by 7of9 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:18 pm

Cartoonist wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:28 pm Hi all,

I have recently experienced the same problem. I have purchased the debugger and have been downloading various hex files under guidance of Moog support.

However the Data and System files they have sent me are both version 3.xx and my LP is still non-operational. The Data file is getting through ok and the screen indicates that it is successful but the recent System file does not work. I am following the correct procedure.

Is it possible that the debugging process described does not work with version 3 hex files? I raised this with Moog support but they are unable to provide me with the earlier versions (the ones that are described in their own instructions, Cane Creek etc). I think I have read somewhere that only earlier versions will work with the USB debugger process.

If possible I would hugely appreciate it if someone who has successfully debricked their LP to send me the .hex files that worked for them.

Thank you!
Hi Cartoonist.

Have you any luck at getting the older version .hex file. I too am hoping to get my hands on them. Thanks :)

7of9

Post by 7of9 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:21 pm

dvanzandt wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:06 pm Hey guys--not sure if this is appropriate or allowed, but I successfully fixed my little phatty with the siLabs debugger and a hex file Moog sent me. It was a little tricky to get it to actually work, if I remember.

Anyways, I no longer need the debugger, and I'd be happy to sell this for half what I paid for it (I'll pay shipping). If you need some techy nerdy USB love, lemme know in a message and I'll mail this bing to someone for $20. I'd prefer to mail w/o USB cable to save on shipping.
Hi Dvanzandt
Do you still happened to have the .hex file? You you be able to share it? Thanks a million