Slim Phatty CV Outs

Everything Phatty.
andybutler

Slim Phatty CV Outs

Post by andybutler » Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:58 am

Does anyone know if it's possible to get the CV Out mod for the Slim Phatty?

I'm enjoying the Slim as is, but as exploration ( which includes Moogerfoogers )goes on
I'm certain I'm going to really want it.

It would be brilliant if some tech genius from Moog could even just check the schematic and
say if it's possible.

( I've emailed Moog tech support, got no response )

Stuka

Re: Slim Phatty CV Outs

Post by Stuka » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:31 am

Not available for the Slim; never has been AFAIK.
A CV kit would need to be custom designed for the Slim (the one from the the LP wouldn't fit the Slim's case).
Little Phatty Solar CV, Minitaur, Slim Phatty (x2), MF-101, MF-102, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-105M, MF-108M, CP-251 (x2), Animoog app, Filtatron app, Model D app, Model 15 app...and some 5U modular and Doepfer stuff...

andybutler

Post by andybutler » Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:44 pm

Thanks for that.
I understand that there's some kind of 'kit' available.
If I could get that, but without the fittings that wouldn't fit the Slim then
it would be easy enough to diy the output sockets.
(and if there wasn't space for 1/4ins sockets, then there's bound to be room for 1/8in ones)

What I don't know is whether the electronics in the Slim is compatible with such an idea.

andybutler

Post by andybutler » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:41 am

thanks for the suggestion

Moog now tell me the Slim doesn't have the option because of size restrictions.

hmm, using an external midi device would give me
Pitch Out
Gate Out
(and for the Kenton, an additional LFO)
So that would indeed help.
...but not the Envelopes.

I do have a Doepfer Dark Energy, (about same size as the Kenton) which has a midi>CV.
I could run it in parallel, although temptation would be to do without the Slim altogether.

Amos

Post by Amos » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:21 am

yes it's technically possible to tap into the CV signals on a Slim Phatty. It would be a delicate job for a skilled tech with access to schematics, and would require a lot of soldering wires directly to surface-mount components. Basically I'd describe it as a similar difficulty level to chip-modding an old Playstation/PS2. :) which I have done and it was annoying and difficult... but successful...

andybutler

Post by andybutler » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:46 am

Amos wrote:yes it's technically possible to tap into the CV signals on a Slim Phatty. It would be a delicate job for a skilled tech with access to schematics, and would require a lot of soldering wires directly to surface-mount components. Basically I'd describe it as a similar difficulty level to chip-modding an old Playstation/PS2. :) which I have done and it was annoying and difficult... but successful...
Hi Amos, thanks for the reply.
I have a technician who could do that ( possibly myself).
So the problem would be the schematic.
(how long before the Slim becomes 'legacy' ;-)

I've used the official UK Moog repair people before, I assume they *could* do this if they wanted (?).
...but as they charged well over $100 to replace a voltage regulator !
Maybe I should ask them for a quote.

ozfunghi

Post by ozfunghi » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:46 am

andybutler wrote:
Amos wrote:yes it's technically possible to tap into the CV signals on a Slim Phatty. It would be a delicate job for a skilled tech with access to schematics, and would require a lot of soldering wires directly to surface-mount components. Basically I'd describe it as a similar difficulty level to chip-modding an old Playstation/PS2. :) which I have done and it was annoying and difficult... but successful...

I've used the official UK Moog repair people before, I assume they *could* do this if they wanted (?).
I asked my local (Belgium) Moog service point to install the Little Phatty CV out mod, and their quote was a tad under 600 USD. So... good luck with that :-)

andybutler

Post by andybutler » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:15 am

ozfunghi wrote: I asked my local (Belgium) Moog service point to install the Little Phatty CV out mod, and their quote was a tad under 600 USD. So... good luck with that :-)
:-) yes, that's why it would be really cool if the schematics were available to regular technicians.

Oh well, still not bored with the un-modded Slim yet.

ozfunghi

Post by ozfunghi » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:13 pm

andybutler wrote:
ozfunghi wrote: I asked my local (Belgium) Moog service point to install the Little Phatty CV out mod, and their quote was a tad under 600 USD. So... good luck with that :-)
:-) yes, that's why it would be really cool if the schematics were available to regular technicians.

Oh well, still not bored with the un-modded Slim yet.
See PM.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:20 pm

ozfunghi wrote:
andybutler wrote:

I asked my local (Belgium) Moog service point to install the Little Phatty CV out mod, and their quote was a tad under 600 USD. So... good luck with that :-)
The french Moog dealer, MESI, used to do it for 300 euros. But the technician left a couple of years ago; I'm not sure they've found someone else.

Etamin

Post by Etamin » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:28 pm

Hi Andy

Given the likely high cost and hassle of getting the Slim modified, and if you don't want to use your Dark Energy, why not get a Doepfer Dark Link? According to Doepfer site, it is the same interface as used in the Dark Energy. I don'r know where you are, but in USA, the price is around $170. I would think that would give you more flexibility in the long run, as a stand alone unit, nit tied to the SP.

Just my random and rather newbie opinion.

Peter