Biggest news in MOOG History coming Monday?

Everything Phatty.
EricK

Re: Biggest news in MOOG History coming Monday?

Post by EricK » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:16 pm

Those are cheaper than what they used to be from a certain engineer whose name I won't mention.
The 15 was 14k from that place, so they actually went cheaper.

"I bet they won't sound like the originals" hahaha
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

scottingham

Post by scottingham » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:18 pm

Well fudge. I bet their booth at NAMM will totally rule though.

I'm still holding out for a multiwerkstatten :P

DonutDude

Post by DonutDude » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:05 pm

The news is awesome, but these systems are out of reach for most musicians/hobbyists.
Do any of you think they will sell individual modules in the future?

Rufus the Dog

Post by Rufus the Dog » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:29 pm

Better start saving then :o

R.

DonutDude

Post by DonutDude » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:41 pm

There are a lot of interesting posts regarding this at www.synthtopia.com
A lot of angry comments as well.

B3 guy

Post by B3 guy » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:15 am

The marketing hyperbole giveth and the marketing hyperbole taketh away. To be fair it was the retailer and not Moog that set the expectations so wackily high. At that point it could have been a brainwave to analog patch converter and someone would've been let down.

They are cool (hope they set one up in the Asheville retail store) but I'd have to factor in the cost of a divorce on top of the retail price so I'm out. :wink:

Disappointment is one thing but there is a bit of anger out there (like the link DonutDude pointed out). I swear I'll never understand some of that thinking. I'll never own a Ferrari but I don't take it personally that they exist.

metron

Post by metron » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:37 am

Not being able to afford these is one thing. People getting upset for whatever reason is absurd. This is unbelievably cool news and it looks and sounds like moog did a great job.
MF102, MF104M, CP251, Minitaur

Blackout

Post by Blackout » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:43 am

if you have the money, i think they are a great investment. i know ppl that have spent $150k on a car and the next year its worth 80k. i think these modulars will be as collectable and special in the years to come as the original modulars and minimoogs. i dont think the price will go down 1cent as far as resale goes in the future.

we really are witnessing a very special time in the history of synthesizers. ive dreamed of going back in time to the late 70s /early 80s and buying every analog synth there was, and i still wish on a regular basis so badly that i could do it. And i swear to myself that i would buy them all.

right now is another one of those special times..in the years to come this will be described as another Golden Age of synthesizers. you can just feel it in your bones that something magical is converging. Buy up people. in 20 or 30 years you will be glad that you did, mark my words. Or explain to your kids one day that you were there in those special days, but you missed the boat.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:49 am

Buy up people. We will be happy to get some new, cheaper Moogness your acquisition financed the R&D :)

BTW I can't either undestand why people get angry. I've just read so bad reaction to another announcement on another brand forum...

Khoral

Post by Khoral » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:23 am

Gear for the 1%.
https//www.facebook.com/khoral80

"Children are the future... that's why they must be stopped" - H. J. Simpson

DonutDude

Post by DonutDude » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:37 am

During the last couple of years we have all been witnessing the return of ANALOG, as well as a renewed interest in synthesizers. Now that Moog has decided to bring back the Moog Modular Systems, history almost seems to have come full circle.

If you remember, 40 years ago when the first Moog modulars came out very few people could afford them, just like now. And then think about how things have changed in the last 40 years. Think about all the synthesizers that have been created as a result of those expensive modular behemoths... strap in and hold on, it's going to be exciting!

B3 guy

Post by B3 guy » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:17 am

stiiiiiiive wrote:Buy up people. We will be happy to get some new, cheaper Moogness your acquisition financed the R&D :)
Precisely. This will be a huge infusion of capital that will beget many cool things.

MoogProg

Post by MoogProg » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:23 am

Blackout wrote:if you have the money, i think they are a great investment.
Well, a great investment needs to bring a healthy return, not sure Moog stuff fits that description. But point taken! I have yet to lose money on a Martin (or comparable) guitar. Talking about similar "vintage reissue" type models, purchased new and owned for over a decade. Parked money, might be a better way to think of it.

That said, these Moog modulars require "crazy cash", out of reach to most. *sigh* I'll just have to live with my pedestrian, Everyman model... the Sub37. :lol: So, to those who might decry this an elitist release, think back to last year's NAMM and how those Subs are still jumping off the production line like crazy, to us all. Cheers.

metron

Post by metron » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:04 pm

Khoral wrote:Gear for the 1%.
Maybe a little. Not sure I agree completely though. Years ago people would spend as much as they would on a car to buy a Hammond organ or a minimoog, or perhaps as much as a house (or two) on a modular. Even today classical instruments with pedigree cost huge sums of money and those who dedicate themselves to their craft will find a way to spend the money and get the best they can. These are certainly for a niche market but I'm glad they exist.

I agree this seems to be the second era of analog.
MF102, MF104M, CP251, Minitaur

slabwax

Post by slabwax » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:24 pm

I'm not understanding all the hate. There are lots off things I can't afford to buy, Does that mean no one should be allowed to buy it. Moog has not stopped making things for the rest of us. All this anger seem to be a tad bit of entitlement. My car is not as nice as a new Austin Martin and I'm ok with that I've gotten over it. I can still drive to where I need to go. And we can all play music on a S37,.com ,or a Mos-lab.