Sustain pedal

Everything Phatty.
cheopsnet

Sustain pedal

Post by cheopsnet » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:48 am

Hi,

As part of the Phatty Firmware Update OS v3.1, Amos mentioned the ability to utilize a pedal to leverage a sustain function. In his own words:

"Sustain/Hold Mode: A sustain pedal or control voltage plugged into the CV GATE input jack can now be used to send MIDI Sustain on/off, and to polyphonically sustain MIDI notes from the Phatty keyboard"
Here is the related demo (by Amos) of this very function (@3:24): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-38Rrd9bsQ

Does such a function apply to the Sub 37? I have tried to plug a pedal to each one of the 4 CV inputs, but I cannot seem to figure it out..

Thanks!
Louis

djstingray

Re: Sustain pedal

Post by djstingray » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:05 am

I just got it to work on my 37. I am using the latest firmware. Had to change my pedals polarity using the switch on the bottom, but it works, actually didn't know about it, was wondering where the sustain was! So..thanks!

Petur

Post by Petur » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:17 am

djstingray wrote:I just got it to work on my 37. I am using the latest firmware. Had to change my pedals polarity using the switch on the bottom, but it works, actually didn't know about it, was wondering where the sustain was! So..thanks!
Do you actually get a sustain effect? Or are you just controlling the filter or pitch (depending on the CV input used)?

edit: i can see now that the original post indicates that you are supposed to use the gate input.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:27 am

To be more specific on the behaviour of the footswitch plugged into GATE IN (i.e. without speaking about MIDI):
- In normal mode, it just trigs the envelopes: is no key is depressed and you press the pedal, the envelopes open and the synth sounds.
- in Sustain mode, it trigs the envelopes only if a key is depressed, just as with a piano.

MoogProg

Post by MoogProg » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:47 am

This is huge! I had no idea one could use a sustain pedal with the Sub37, and bought in "knowing" about this limitation (which does not exist).

Just confirmed this works as we expect a sustain pedal to work. I had to change the polarity of my pedal (and not all do this). Also confirmed the sustained note-length goes out via MIDI, playing piano parts on an external module to verify.

cheopsnet

Post by cheopsnet » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:25 pm

Hi guys,

Back to application on the Sub 37:

How/where can I select Normal mode vs Sustain mode? I have plugged a pedal onto the Gate CV, but am not sure how to adjust the right setting to get the pedal to act as a sustain pedal..

Thanks !
Louis

djstingray

Post by djstingray » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:30 pm

I didn't have to change any settings in the 37.

Both my sustain pedals needed to have the polarity changed. Wrong polarity = it will work opposite. Will sustain when pedal is not pressed, release when pressed. So if it is wrong, a note will play when you plug in your pedal.

Amos

Post by Amos » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:03 am

I see what you mean -- on the Sub 37, I'm pretty sure the pedal will trigger a note if you press it while you're not holding any keys.
There's not an optional mode for this on the Sub 37 at the moment, but there probably should be. I will add it to my list.

Wall Bird

Post by Wall Bird » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:39 pm

Hey all,

I've been dealing with a problem lately. I'm using my Sub37 as my master controller for Ableton Live (or any outboard device, I suppose it doesn't matter). Initially I could not get a sustain pedal (plugged into the gate cv) to send sustain messages to Ableton. I was able to solve this by going to Global/CV Mapping/Gate and setting Gate to SUST PED. Now that I've done this my Sub37 sends sustain messages to Ableton just as I'd like but the sustain function no longer works natively on the Sub37 patches, as it once did. IS THERE A WAY TO GET THE BEST OF BOTH WORLDS, in which a sustain pedal will sustain both the native Sub37 patches as well as any outboard hardware/software I am using?

Wall Bird

Post by Wall Bird » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:57 am

Wall Bird wrote:Hey all,

I've been dealing with a problem lately. I'm using my Sub37 as my master controller for Ableton Live (or any outboard device, I suppose it doesn't matter). Initially I could not get a sustain pedal (plugged into the gate cv) to send sustain messages to Ableton. I was able to solve this by going to Global/CV Mapping/Gate and setting Gate to SUST PED. Now that I've done this my Sub37 sends sustain messages to Ableton just as I'd like but the sustain function no longer works natively on the Sub37 patches, as it once did. IS THERE A WAY TO GET THE BEST OF BOTH WORLDS, in which a sustain pedal will sustain both the native Sub37 patches as well as any outboard hardware/software I am using?
How about that. The day after I post this, Firmware 1.2.0 comes out and solves my issue. Now, once I have Gate set to SUST PED the sustain function works locally AND as a MIDI controller.

fmoriarte

Post by fmoriarte » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:18 pm

I expected something more than this update. Although the sounds are excellent

fitzkarraldo

Post by fitzkarraldo » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:00 am

OK, after having the same problem and not finding a helpfull description of how to make it; I find it out by myself:

SUB 37 (Firmware 2.1):
Using the KB GATE Input connected with a sustain pedel for sending a MIDI Sustain Message:

Global Menue/CV Mapping/Gate: Sustain Ped

If the Polarity of your pedal is wrong:

Global Menue/CV Mapping/Gate Invert: ON