Safely swap out knobs

Everything Phatty.
Sihaz

Safely swap out knobs

Post by Sihaz » Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:01 pm

hi, my sub had a couple of scratched up knobs and the guys at moog kindly sent me new ones but no instructions about how to swap them over. one was the filter cutoff which actually just slid off very easily and so I could swap that one ok. the noise level is the other but it seems much tighter on the synth so I don't want to damage anything by pulling to hard. is there a trick to it or do I just need to be braver...
cheers, si
ps thanks moog guys for sending me new ones. much appreciated :-)

Toom

Re: Safely swap out knobs

Post by Toom » Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:04 pm

I would too like to know how to do this safely.

Sihaz

Post by Sihaz » Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:28 am

I guess nobody knows...

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:40 am

Hey Sihaz. I decided to wait for answers from people knowing better than me, but I'll give a shot.

There are two types of knobs, I don' know which one is on the Phatty.
The first one has a little screw on the side, like on the opposite side of the mark.
The second one is just pushed in; opulling it out should be enough to remove it.

Toom

Post by Toom » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:17 pm

I tried to pull my headphone volume knob and nothing. It's stuck on there. There has to be a different way.

Sihaz

Post by Sihaz » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:59 am

I think i'll pester support about this. Andy said it was an easy user performable fix. Certainly the filter cutoff knob slipped off very easily but can't get the other one off...

Toom

Post by Toom » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:43 am

I agree, the filter cutoff is the only one I can take off.

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:42 am

No Sub Phatty here either but I've owned just about every other Modern Moog product and if no visible screw as mentioned above, it's a D shaped pot end with a spring clip between the plastic knob and the plastic pot shaft therefore, even pressure is recommended and ideally a fork type of tool which will not mar the plastic.

The troubling part is that the days of panel mounted (and nutted) metal pots is long gone and instead, you are dealing with a board mounted plastic body; decent quality but different packaging. (I'm speaking speaking generally now and not about any specific make or model synth) In both cases, you are dealing with direct pressure against the pot mechanism but if tolerance between the panel and pot face is not tight, you run the additional risk of pulling the pot off its pads.

Definately wait for advice from Tech Support and have the conversation over the phone and post the remedy as it appears others have the same question.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

bichuelo

Post by bichuelo » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:05 pm

EMwhite wrote:No Sub Phatty here either but I've owned just about every other Modern Moog product and if no visible screw as mentioned above
the Drive knob on the moogerfoogers has the screw, at least on mine
http://audiotecna.info
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra

HicoMe

Post by HicoMe » Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:26 pm

Hello,

I also have a problem with swaping of one of the knobs (Resonance) of my Sub37, and three months ago I asked Moog. From Andy Hughes I've got the following answer:
"No, the knobs are not glued. You can pull them off of the pot shaft pretty easily. I usually slide a piece of ribbon or string under the pot, and then pull gently upward to remove the knob.

Inside the knob you will find a metal sheath. Make sure the metal sheath is inserted all the way into the inside of the knob, and then gently push the knob back down onto the pot shaft.

If you are careful, you will not hurt anything, this is exactly how we do it here in the factory."
I didn't tried it, because it was not very important. In my case the Resonace-knob has a few mm more space to the surface of the panel as the other knobs (just a "cosmetical" problem), but I cannot push it closer to the panel. So I sometime would like to swap it from the pot to have a look at the inside of the knob, why it's impossible to push it closer to the panel.

Happy knobbing ... :D
Heiko
My current Moogs: Sub 37
My former Moogs: Minimoog Model D, heavily selfmodified Prodigy, Satellite, Etherwave Theremin

Sihaz

Post by Sihaz » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:56 am

HicoMe wrote:Hello,

I also have a problem with swaping of one of the knobs (Resonance) of my Sub37, and three months ago I asked Moog. From Andy Hughes I've got the following answer:
"No, the knobs are not glued. You can pull them off of the pot shaft pretty easily. I usually slide a piece of ribbon or string under the pot, and then pull gently upward to remove the knob.

Inside the knob you will find a metal sheath. Make sure the metal sheath is inserted all the way into the inside of the knob, and then gently push the knob back down onto the pot shaft.

If you are careful, you will not hurt anything, this is exactly how we do it here in the factory."
Thanks Heiko, that worked perfectly :-)

I didn't tried it, because it was not very important. In my case the Resonace-knob has a few mm more space to the surface of the panel as the other knobs (just a "cosmetical" problem), but I cannot push it closer to the panel. So I sometime would like to swap it from the pot to have a look at the inside of the knob, why it's impossible to push it closer to the panel.

Happy knobbing ... :D
Heiko