Duo Mode in the Sequencer

Everything Phatty.
Toom

Duo Mode in the Sequencer

Post by Toom » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:20 am

I'm having difficulty with this feature.

When I record a sequence and use duo mode, on playback, the notes aren't correct. Sometimes it'll either playback OSC 2 as drone or as a lower or higher note, different from the original sequence. It seems to just be random, even though my preset stays the same.

When the sequence is complete which note (or notes) should be pressed to initiate the exact sequence? Is it always the lowest note, or both duo notes, or highest note? I've tried many iterations and I still don't know why it never comes out the same.

Advice / help much appreciated!

_DemonDan_

Re: Duo Mode in the Sequencer

Post by _DemonDan_ » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:29 am

Toom wrote:When I record a sequence and use duo mode, on playback, the notes aren't correct. Sometimes it'll either playback OSC 2 as drone or as a lower or higher note, different from the original sequence. It seems to just be random, even though my preset stays the same. When the sequence is complete which note (or notes) should be pressed to initiate the exact sequence? Is it always the lowest note, or both duo notes, or highest note? I've tried many iterations and I still don't know why it never comes out the same.
Hi Toom,

A lot of debate occurred over how to implement all the possible ways of using the sequencer, particularly in DUO MODE.

But first, let's leave DUO off for a moment and answer your second question.

In the GLOBAL MENU (1.4) SEQUENCER OPTIONS sub menu, you'll find a parameter called REF NOTE.

The manual has this to say about it:

REF NOTE
When playing a step sequence in the ARPEGGIATOR section, you can modulate the key of that sequence by playing different notes. When SEQ REF is set to FIRST (default), the note you press to start the sequence dictates the actual first note of that sequence. When you choose the MID C parameter, pressing Middle C on the keyboard will start the sequence on the same pitch it was recorded at. Playing any other key above or below Middle C will result in a transposition (up or down) equal to that key’s distance from Middle C. Each has its own advantages, but FIRST is the easiest to initially understand.

{Toom, let me know if you need the above said in a different way.}

The next thing is KBD RESET

KBD RESET
This parameter determines if the sequence starts from the beginning each time you press a key. When OFF is chosen, and a key is pressed, the sequence continues from its last place in the sequence, even if it’s in a new transposition. When ON is chosen, the sequence restarts from the first note every time you press a new key.

{Again, let me know if you need the above said in a different way.}

As you can see, these choices will significantly change what note the sequence starts on.

Get comfortable with these options first before adding the complexity of DUO MODE.
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:41 am

OK, now on to adding DUO MODE to the sequence.
(Please forgive any errors, I have access to a pdf manual but don't have the unit in front of me to actually do it.)

If you record a sequence with DUO MODE on you'll have the option (per step) of recording one or two notes.

If you always record two notes at each step the behavior is similar to my above post.

But, if you only record single notes, and then put the Sub 37 into DUO MODE you'll have one key deciding the starting note of the sequence (as based on the above choices) and have another note free to jam in real time along with your sequence (VERY COOL!). (Notice that the DUO MODE's KB CTL choice of LO or HI determines which of the two keys gets to jam.)

If your sequence has a mix of single notes per step and duo notes per step, you get both behaviors. Duo-sequenced notes follow a single key press and single-sequenced notes split between playing the sequenced note and the second note you're playing on the keyboard.

It's very hard to write about so, just start doing it with these two posts in front of you. There will be a moment when you suddenly "get it."
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

Toom

Post by Toom » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:27 pm

Thanks Dan! That explains it well. I will give it a try and let you know how it goes.

Toom

Post by Toom » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:52 pm

(deleted)
Last edited by Toom on Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Toom

Post by Toom » Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:01 pm

Figured it out. And this is why sometimes the sequence sounds so different than what is played.

For this example KBD CTRL is set to HI. When recording a sequence in DUO MODE the first note played will be OSC1, then if you play another note (while holding the first note) it will be OSC2. If you were to reverse the order you played both those notes (first note second, second note first) it would not give you the same sound as you're used to (unless both OSC were set at the same wavelength).

This gets a bit complicated. But I'll try to explain.

If you play 4' C and 4' F, it doesn't matter which note you play first since they are within the same range.

BUT

If you play 4' C (OSC 1) first then 4' F (OSC 2), then alternate in the next step pressing 4' F (OSC 1) first then 4' C (OSC 2) second, then switch OSC2 to 8', you'll notice a difference that you're not used to. OSC 2 and OSC 1 will alternate note instead of playing OSC1 as the low note and OSC2 as the high note when in DUO MODE set to HI. That's how the sequence works in DUO MODE. It doesn't record the two notes as it sounds, but instead in terms of which is note is played first (OSC1) and second (OSC2).

That's what was confusing me before because DUO MODE doesn't work like that when you're just playing the keyboard. In standard DUO mode, it doesn't matter which note you place first, it is rather the position of the note (LO or HI setting) in reference to OSC1.

SO

With that figured out, is this good or bad? I think it adds more complexity but also more room for creative sequences since you're not limited to OSC2 being strictly set to HI or LO, it can be any note you want in reference to OSC1.

Now that I know how to work it, I like it very much. Alternating the order of the note played makes for some cool sequences you wouldn't be able to do if you were playing the standard DUO MODE