My Little Phatty's USB and MIDI doesn't work

Everything Phatty.
Jezy

My Little Phatty's USB and MIDI doesn't work

Post by Jezy » Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:23 pm

Hi everybody, my name is Gábor and I am struggling to get my LP work again... :(

Right now, the USB and the MIDI is not working on my LP.
I reloaded the boot file with the USB debugger and it is OK, and the LP is waiting for the firmware to be send. I tried almost every possibilities I know to send the firmware to the Phatty, but none of them worked (used WIN/Mac, different cables, soundcards). The LP just didn't receive the data through MIDI. There is no reaction on the LCD, like nothing happened.
The USB is also faulty: Windows doesn't recognize it, just the regular error message pops up, which says the device is not recognized properly.
I also tried to upload the firmware through the USB debugger, but after uploading the firmware and rebooting the Phatty, it is just stucked at the phase, that it writes out the actual firmware and just can't go further to the Phatty's main menu.
I hope somebody has some suggestion, what to do. I also checked inside the box (I bought the LP used and it has no warranty) and nothing seems to be weird or bad on the motherboard...

rlaurent

Re: My Little Phatty's USB and MIDI doesn't work

Post by rlaurent » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:43 am

Hello,

I have the same trouble, did you find any solution ?

TheJessieBear

Post by TheJessieBear » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:15 am

I also am having the same issue.

Everything was working fine a week ago when I was in the studio. Now for some reason nothing!

Cebon

Post by Cebon » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:54 pm

im sorry, how did you update your slim, if the midi and usb didn't work ?

did you guys find the reason or maybe the solution to the problem on the little phatty ?
Little Phatty user

lovvlovver

Post by lovvlovver » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:52 pm

Same trouble here.(

Did anybody find out anything about it? Or does everybody just accept their fate and use their Phattys without MIDI? Or just dump the synth altogether and move on?
Also, did the MIDI in/out settings disappear from the master menu on your synths? They did on mine.

Official tech support says I need to replace my I/O card, but they don't say anything about disappearing menu items.

This is really sad -- one day your synth is fine, and then all the MIDI somehow disappears and nobody knows anything about it. Is it a curse?? :shock:

Flareless

Post by Flareless » Tue May 01, 2018 5:33 am

lovvlovver wrote:Same trouble here.(
Official tech support says I need to replace my I/O card, but they don't say anything about disappearing menu items.
This is really sad -- one day your synth is fine, and then all the MIDI somehow disappears and nobody knows anything about it. Is it a curse?? :shock:
They may suggest replacing the I/O card since MIDI is I/O and the I/O firmware likely resides on the I/O card.

It sounds to me like your machine is partially Bricked. I managed to do it to a Prophet 08 a few weeks ago and two of the boards had to be sent to DSI for replacement. First piece of gear I ever Bricked and I can't believe it. All I was doing was a simple firmware upgrade.

See where this is going?

Your machine may be broken inside. If your firmware is broken beyond the ability of mortals to fix it you might have to send the board in for repair.

EDIT> To be clear, by "Partially Bricked" I mean that your synth may be working great for everything else except "x". This video shows my poor Prophet working fine except for oscillators 1 and 2 which I managed to cripple.
Rich

What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it gives forth a sound - Neil Peart

lovvlovver

Post by lovvlovver » Mon May 07, 2018 8:51 am

Hey, Flareless! Thanks for the reply!

The sad thing here is I didn't do anything at all -- it just happened on its own.
Guess I'll have to do that card thing.((

Glad you managed to resurrect your oscillators! Hope I can get my MIDI back in line as well.

szmarcinski

Post by szmarcinski » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:34 am

Have anyone found a solution? Same here.

Ledbetter

Post by Ledbetter » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:22 pm

Really have to know what version you’re updating from. Did you use the boot loader update first?
Former owner of Prodigy #2845 (purchased new, long ago), Animoog, Voyager Select (Fire & Maple), Little and Slim Phatties, Nord Electro 4D, 5D and Lead 2X, Roland AX-9.

alexedden

Post by alexedden » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:16 am

I am also having the same issue.
reviews rabbit tech guide

johnnylzr

Post by johnnylzr » Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:38 am

same problem here as well

Groakes

Post by Groakes » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:19 pm

Bump...

My LP Redback is running 3.21S 691, which I believe is the most up to date version of FW.

I have a similar problem in that my LP will cease all MIDI communication after it has been on a while. Most of the MIDI options in the menu (such as clocking, channel select etc) disappear. The only way to restore is power off, remove MIDI and USB cables, power back on and then reattach.

I replaced the interface board (it was out of warranty) after a six month wait for the part, but still no joy.

A while back I did see a post somewhere on the web (!!!!) that mentioned away to reflash the interface board. It was an old post though and the link was dead.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

cheers
Greg

Flareless

Post by Flareless » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:16 am

This article might be helpful
Rich

What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it gives forth a sound - Neil Peart