What makes a good YouTube video?

Everything Phatty.
Voltor07

What makes a good YouTube video?

Post by Voltor07 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:24 am

I ask, because all people can tell me is that my videos are boring and unintuitive. How can I do better?
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

IgorCristo

Re: What makes a good YouTube video?

Post by IgorCristo » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:44 am

I honestly don't know...
Sometimes I do it right and people enjoy my videos a lot, but some of them just doesn't fly.

What I do know is this: synth people are only really interested in the latest trend. You can't make a video get seen quickly with older equipment.

Some stuff that are appreciated:
- good video quality
- good audio quality
- good editing with something like iMovie
- latest synth available in the market
- doing musical stuff and not only noises
- coupling synthesizers
- cover of famous electronic music
Moog Minimoog Voyager Performer Edition and Little Phatty Stage II | Elektron Analog Four and Analog Rytm | Mutable Instruments Ambika | Korg Minilogue

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:49 am

Wow, I had really no idea. I still haven't taken this step of making vids. I fell it will take me some of the time/energy I already lack for making music...

synthesis4all

Post by synthesis4all » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:45 pm

copy this.. http://youtu.be/DYzsz2U7RM0, everything thing about it... camera action, lighting, text, etc... use heavy lighting. it clears the image.. Perhaps talk a little as well. :D

I appreciate your vids though...

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:01 pm

synthesis4all, I have seen that video. :D Sadly, I lack a lot of lighting. I'm just glad I have an HD camera with decent microphone.
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

synthesis4all

Post by synthesis4all » Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:58 pm

get creative with some house lamps.. In your last video you have the window open so that lets in light, but its overall light, and it saturates the image. The sub37 is dark so it makes the camera confused as far as clarity of it, and what it should be seeing and or focusing on. A lamp behind the sub37 or a focused light pointing somewhere on the wall might help sharpen the image... Also that blank wall behind it would be cool to have chroma keying going on while you played, some space images or anything cool there, check the frame of the shot as well. If the shot were framed a little more to the left and down it would have been an overall better viewing environment. What kind of camera are you using? is it dv tape? I have a HD camera that uses dv tape and I'm starting to think its time to go digital.. Also try an external shotgun mic or record the audio separately.. Program the camera as much as possible, don't use auto..
watch Jexus...

:mrgreen:

monokit

Post by monokit » Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:19 am

Yeah Jexus is God!

I demoed the Sub Phatty...used my iPad for recording the pictures and video pieces and cut and glued everything inside iMovie on the iPad. I recorded the song with Ableton Live and imported it later into iMovie on the iPad.
Try to be creative, do crazy stuff if you like, feel free to do whatever you like and give a bleep what the internet says. The internet is an asshole.

http://youtu.be/E2eHonAML8E

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:27 am

synthesis4all wrote:get creative with some house lamps.. In your last video you have the window open so that lets in light, but its overall light, and it saturates the image. The sub37 is dark so it makes the camera confused as far as clarity of it, and what it should be seeing and or focusing on. A lamp behind the sub37 or a focused light pointing somewhere on the wall might help sharpen the image... Also that blank wall behind it would be cool to have chroma keying going on while you played, some space images or anything cool there, check the frame of the shot as well. If the shot were framed a little more to the left and down it would have been an overall better viewing environment. What kind of camera are you using? is it dv tape? I have a HD camera that uses dv tape and I'm starting to think its time to go digital.. Also try an external shotgun mic or record the audio separately.. Program the camera as much as possible, don't use auto..
watch Jexus...

:mrgreen:
Haven't used a DV tape in forever. No, instead I have a high speed SD card. As for lighting effects, I'm thinking my home made light projector and the mini laser light show I bought for $30. All fantastic ideas I will keep in mind for next week's video. :)

greenborder

Post by greenborder » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:17 am

Hi Voltor, glad you asked.

I was looking at your latest vid yesterday and realized i missed direct audio the most. Your otherwise nice demo was let down by background noise and the sound of you banging the keys, in my opinion.

Additionally what for me elevates videos over plain audio demos is the fact you can see what certain tweaks do to the sound, so a closeup view of the front panel would be cool.

Thanks for your efforts thus far and good luck!

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:01 pm

greenborder wrote:Hi Voltor, glad you asked.

I was looking at your latest vid yesterday and realized i missed direct audio the most. Your otherwise nice demo was let down by background noise and the sound of you banging the keys, in my opinion.

Additionally what for me elevates videos over plain audio demos is the fact you can see what certain tweaks do to the sound, so a closeup view of the front panel would be cool.

Thanks for your efforts thus far and good luck!
Banging the keys? I can't hear banging keys in my Sub 37 vids...Little Phatty vids, yeah. I'll have to play around with the tripod to see if I can get a good shot of the panel. I still have no idea how to do direct audio...

greenborder

Post by greenborder » Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:28 pm

Yeah banging was a bit overstated :D but i can hear the keys being pressed for sure.

As for direct audio i just mean recording it into an audio track into your daw and laying that under the video instead of the audio recorded by the video, in my opinion more useful than the laser show you mentioned ;)

IgorCristo

Post by IgorCristo » Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:47 pm

Hey Voltor... coming back to exaplain a little better what I've posted before.

Recording direct audio:
This is something that really makes a big difference. Recording the audio with a track on a DAW or something is much better than using expensive microphones, and the overall sound quality of doing it is simply better than anything else when considering synthesizers. You can do it by either using an audio interface or connecting the Sub 37 directly to the camera (the first option is better though). You'll just have to sync everything using your video editing tool.

Choosing musicality over tweaking:
Making music with synthesizers always gives better visiting and provides a better feedback. My videos using the keyboard and simply tweaking it are the less visited ones. Showing how a synthesizer sounds with music is the best way.

Covers:
Doing some cover of your favorite synth music may also be a good way to gather some visits. Choose a famous artist and do a proper cover of it, record some scenes, and put them together with something like iMovie.

3 of my most viewed videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgeRDSr_Fgg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0qM3n9UiYE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bibkWDO9Bmo

:D
Moog Minimoog Voyager Performer Edition and Little Phatty Stage II | Elektron Analog Four and Analog Rytm | Mutable Instruments Ambika | Korg Minilogue

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:22 am

I don't do covers for one reason...I can't. I can do soundscapes...it's why I bought my first synths. My greatest influence has been Animusic.

abc47

Post by abc47 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:46 am

Wearing a shirt helps

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:10 pm

abc47 wrote:Wearing a shirt helps
:lol: :roll: