Gap on the left side of the control panel

Everything Phatty.
Poptones

Gap on the left side of the control panel

Post by Poptones » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:17 am

Hi all,

I just received my Sub 37 today and I was wondering whether those of you, who have received a Sub 37 already got an exemplar on which the gap between the wood side and the left side of the control panel is bigger than on the other side, which eventually causes the light from the display to shine through. I'm just asking because in the most recent demo videos of the Sub 37 this doesn't seem to be obvious at all.

These are the videos I'm talking about:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boeNxBIP9JU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOWGlkm3hQY
Beta Test Info:
macOS 10.12.6 | Ableton Live Suite 10 | plug-in format: AU | current Moog gear: MF-104M Analog Delay, Minitaur, Sub 37 Tribute Edition

synthesis4all

Re: Gap on the left side of the control panel

Post by synthesis4all » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:13 am

Take a picture, upload it and when I get mine I will do the same to help you compare...
:)

Poptones

Post by Poptones » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:40 am

synthesis4all wrote:Take a picture, upload it and when I get mine I will do the same to help you compare...
:)
I tried to upload a picture, but I always get the message "Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached."
Beta Test Info:
macOS 10.12.6 | Ableton Live Suite 10 | plug-in format: AU | current Moog gear: MF-104M Analog Delay, Minitaur, Sub 37 Tribute Edition

EricK

Post by EricK » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:24 pm

Use an image hosting place like flickr or facebook.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Poptones

Post by Poptones » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:01 pm

Okay, here you go.

Beta Test Info:

Phos4escence

Post by Phos4escence » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:34 pm

Mine has the same gap. Looks like the wood warped outwards. Was gonna call Moog and ask them if this is normal. None of my other Moog's have a gap there.

Poptones

Post by Poptones » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:48 pm

The wood is alright. It just seems that the width of the panel is a bit too short for the chassis to be entirely closed. Ideally, the aluminium bar at the top would have to be totally covered. What makes it obvious on the left side is of course the light of the display.
Beta Test Info:

jsumners

Post by jsumners » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:53 pm

Yep, mine has the same gap :-/ https://www.dropbox.com/s/79714wml9jq96 ... 629741.JPG

It does look like the panel is just a tad too narrow.

deryldorsett

Post by deryldorsett » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:54 pm

I've got the same issue. The gap is only at the top, the lower section of the panel looks fine.

Poptones

Post by Poptones » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:40 am

deryldorsett wrote:I've got the same issue. The gap is only at the top, the lower section of the panel looks fine.
I think that is just the impression one gets from the light coming through at the top. I thought so too, but that would have meant that the panel plate was not cut in a square angle on both sides, which is definitely not the case. It's just more visible on the upper part.

How about your keyboards? Mine happens not to be exactly levelled. There are a few keys that are a few millimeters higher or lower than others. One doesn't really recognize it immediately, but when I look at it from the side of the instrument and from the same height the keyboard is located at, it becomes obvious that the keyboard look slightly wavy. If the Sub 37 was already 20 years old, I wouldn't bother, but I have no other instrument in my collection that has this issue.

I've attached a photo of that as well. One can see it especially on the lower end of the keyboard.

Link to image: https://www.dropbox.com/s/aqfpanbkeoqr48u/P1020886.JPG
Last edited by Poptones on Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beta Test Info:

jido-genshi

Post by jido-genshi » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:55 pm

Wow, for a "handcrafted" instrument, this is pretty unacceptable in my opinion. Makes me worried now for my forthcoming delivery of the Sub 37. My pre-order is supposed to arrive August 8th... crossing my fingers for better quality control than what I'm seeing here.

deryldorsett

Post by deryldorsett » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:33 pm

I do have two keys that are a bit higher than the rest but it's not a big deal. Add charecter. :D

monokit

Post by monokit » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:45 am

Both things (keyboard and the gap) would bother me too. My Sub Phatty i received last year was in perfect shape, so the Sub 37 should be in perfect shape as well, especially this is no new caseing, they reused the Little Phatty ones. :(

Poptones

Post by Poptones » Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:08 pm

I'm currently waiting for Sweetwater and/or Moog to get back to me about the issues. On top of what I described already, I experienced a few quirks when operating the Sub 37. Sometimes, when I switched from preset to panel, the oscillators sounded as if they were set to 2' although they were set to 8' on the panel. The problem was solved by setting the octaves to 2' and back again. And two times the Sub 37 froze when I was changing presets, i.e. the sound continued without being played while no knob or button would respond anymore. Dunno, whether those instances are connected to firmware bugs.

@monokit: I agree with you. Especially since the design of the chassis is nothing new in terms of measurements, there shouldn't be any design flaws.

I'm okay with necessary OS improvements and such, but when it comes to build quality, I think one can expect a perfect unit. And before I leave the wrong impression, I might add that I really love the qualities of the Sub 37. The modulation routings and its sound are spot on, and the whole instrument is really intuitive to use. I wouldn't even bother if there'd be no manual at all. It's that easy.
Beta Test Info:

joe_moog

Post by joe_moog » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:11 pm

I wonder whether there's a way to add an option in a future firmware version to turn off the screen backlighting. That would at least stop the light "bleed" through that gap and some of the surrounding light pipes for the arpeggiator. Also, I think it would look better without the bluish light given the color scheme of the other LEDs, etc...
Sub 37 • Voyager Select Whitewash/Lunar White • VX-351 • Little Phatty Stage II w/CV out • Slim Phatty (x3)
MF-101 • MF-102 • MF-104SD • MF-103 • CP-251 • MF-108M • MF-105M
Moog Pocket Protector