Pigtronix Echolution 2 Deluxe + Sub Phatty MIDI Send Issue

Everything Phatty.
kingofallwookies

Pigtronix Echolution 2 Deluxe + Sub Phatty MIDI Send Issue

Post by kingofallwookies » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:14 am

Greetings.

I just got a Pigtronix Echolution 2 Deluxe Delay. It's f****g sweet.

However, I am unable to get it to properly receive MIDI info from my Sub Phatty.

My MIDI signal chain: Ableton Live 9.1 > mid.2012 MacBook Pro > SP USB (**via USB hub on port closest to the screen**) > SP DIN OUT > PE2D DIN IN

PE2D (Firmware 73) has it's own standalone editor (GUI 1.0.35.14) via USB and, using that, I've assigned it to MIDI Ch. 10

Sub Phatty is MIDI In Ch. 1 :: MIDI Out Ch. 2 :: Merge USB Input "USB & DIN" :: MIDI Output "USB & DIN" ::

Alright. The Sub Phatty can pass clock info through its MIDI OUT DIN, but doesn't generate its own clock information. It press play on Ableton to get the clock running. Sub Phatty syncs up perfect. I turn the LFO knob and get divisions of Ableton's tempo.

The Echolution, however, is not receiving the correct MIDI info. If the clock was passing to it, the red light in the upper left corner of the unit would be active. It is not. The delay and LFO on the unit are clearly out of sync with Ableton, as well. Even worse - any change on the Sub Phatty results in a maniacal amount of program change info being sent to the PE2D, sending it bouncing through its stored list of 50 or so presets.

I have the SP & PE2D on completely separate MIDI channels in order to segregate the MIDI (both CC and Program Change) info and the clock info as they leave the Sub Phatty. The clock is transmitted on all channels. About a month ago I bought an MF104M SD and set it up in the exact same fashion and it worked perfectly.

My best theory at this point is the 14 point CC info that the Sub Phatty is incompatible with this Pigtronix unit (I've had no luck turning it off and using 7 pt coarse info, either) I have tried every possible combination of MIDI Merge, MIDI output, etc. If any info is leaving the SubPhatty DIN out, it drives the Echolution 2 Deluxe cray cray.

If M-Audio supported Mavericks on their MidiSport devices, I could send clock to the Echolution via USB > DIN...I know there are affordable USB MIDI options available, but I want to solve this problem. That's why I will be sending a copy of this to Pigtronix HQ in Port Jefferson, as well as a couple of the good folks on the bench in Asheville.

If anyone has anything to offer, or has set this up without issue, PLEASE HELP!!

Finally - to folks having problems with staying connected to the Sub Phatty standalone editor or VST/AU on Macs (and especially within Ableton 9) - use the more powerful of your 2 USB hubs on your machine. Normally it is the one farthest away from the the user & closest to the screen. You can also check under "USB" in the system profiler.

Thanks for reading, lets do this!!

Best,
Deke
2011 MBP (aftermarket SSD & 16GB RAM)
OSX 10.5.5
Pro Tools 11.3.1
Live 9.6
Behringer X32 Producer
Innerclock Systems Sync Lock
iConnectMIDI4
Kenton USB Pro MIDI>CV

walch277

Re: Pigtronix Echolution 2 Deluxe + Sub Phatty MIDI Send Iss

Post by walch277 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:11 am

Did you ever get this worked out?

I have a similar problem with my Echolution 2, now running firmware 106. It won't behave appropriately with CC messages from Logic, MainStage, or a midi solutions Event Processor plus mapping CCs from a Voodoo lab ground control pro.

If I monitor the midi out, frequently the Echolution will send MIDI garbage out in response to an appropriate CC message. i.e: Note on / Channel pressure etc.

Hoping for a solution to integrate this into a MIDI setup.