I tried both SlimP and SubP, and....

Everything Phatty.
indiescore

I tried both SlimP and SubP, and....

Post by indiescore » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:52 pm

I found other comparison posts helpful so here is my "subjective" feedback for those making a purchase decision as I have tried both over the last week in my studio.

Lets keep in mind I like them both so nothing here is bashing just stating feedback & keeping the one that best suits my studio needs.

I believe that the slim phatty has a liveliness and wonderful color that the sub phatty cant reproduce as slim just seems to have more depth and feels like a living creature. At times the perfect pitch of the sub phatty seems like it generates a colder stiffer sound overall, and leaning harsh, almost more VST like in my opinion.

The sub phatty has a strong distortion growl to it that the slim phatty well, just cant quite get there , accomplish, however the slim phatty can get very mean, growl, and break up well, but not like the sub phatty. The sub has a great low end, Slim does to , but not as pronounced however it can generate sub frequencies.

Of course the sub phatty has the sub oscillator however i found it not much use If I want to do something that sits under other instruments like strings where I want to add a rich sound bed, the sub oscillator addition gets to cluttery for that, to much like an octave pedal for guitarists as the sub osc melody is married to the same line you are playing. Of course i can turn off the sub osc, and i did, and that's when I could really hear how much more I like the Slim head to head.

So the sub phatty is going back to guitar center, and I should mention that I have the minitaur, so I have the low end covered.
Slim Phatty - Minitaur

stiiiiiiive

Re: I tried both SlimP and SubP, and....

Post by stiiiiiiive » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:04 am

Hey Indiescore, welcome to the forum! :)

As you seem to have read about this before, you must have rad my feeling. I perceive things a bit like you, sonically speaking.
I do prefer the character of the Little / Slim Phatty: more guitarish, in a sense.

I can't wait to try the Sub 37 overload feature...

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:07 pm

Yeah I enjoyed reading this.
I've had my SlimPhatty for a little while now and LOVE it.
I finally got to play a SubP at Guitar Center.
At first I was thinking if they made a desktop version I would replace my Slim.
When I left I felt more as you described above.
However, I really wish the Slim had knobs like the Sub.
That said, now I am more interested in the 37, still want a desktop/rack mountable version though.

Thanks for posting.

George Nada

Post by George Nada » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:57 pm

I've tried them both out side by side and came to similar conclusions. Something about the Slim's sound was "just right." I want to buy one but am going very slowly on my decision to buy and demoing it quite a bit at the music store. I swore I'd never get a synth with an interface like that. I'm very picky when it comes to sound so I may just have to get it and make the appropriate mental recalibrations to use it. Sound is most important!

indiescore

Post by indiescore » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:48 pm

Juan, George , I aLso liked the sub phatty panel better and was hoping I would like it better for that reason. So I am rack mounting the slim with my audio cards , the rack is to my left so I can reach it however I am going to get the new akai 8 pad controller with 8 knobs and use midi to control the filter, resonance, etc as well as send and or record program changes from the pads to change the sounds on the fly. I should have gone moog a long time ago, I can't believe how transparent and punchy the slim is in comparison to vst's .....esp for 16th, 8th note film score style repeating bass lines......I use Omnisphere as most composers do, and it's world class, but the slim is going to take over some of those duties, I now use omni for other pads, other sounds....I spent a lot of time comparing all of this. Good to hear others stories.......
Slim Phatty - Minitaur