Cool Little Phatty Mod

Everything Phatty.
dwetmaster

Cool Little Phatty Mod

Post by dwetmaster » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:08 pm

Hi guys, I'm a bass player that's doubling on synth bass and I found the Little Phatty to be a great tool for the task. But I always found it was missing a leveler to even out the different patches. I got a nice Optical compressor from Diamond Pedals: The BCP-1. But I found it was impractical to have a guitar pedal on the floor with a Bass Synth Keyboard. So I decided to embed the pedal inside the keyboard.

Here's a Facebook album to show my little journey

Comments are welcome :)

Rabalder

Re: Cool Little Phatty Mod

Post by Rabalder » Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:09 pm

Cool!!

David Smyth

Post by David Smyth » Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:30 pm

Awesome! I remember my first question on this forum was "how do you match different preset volumes on the LP?"

This.. This is how you match preset volumes on the LP!! Nice Mod!

I take it you used a bass compressor because you don't intend to play higher notes in your band?

David.
NZ
Minimoog Voyager XL, Little Phatty Stage II + CV Output Mod, 2x Slim Phatty, Minitaur, MP-201, EP-2, 2x CP-251, MF-102, MF-104M, MF-107

wacopacco

Post by wacopacco » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:38 pm

The diamond is a guitar comp, albeit a great all around comp. It's particularly great at making the dynamics/levels even without squashing the tone u like a lot of other comps due to it's blend control. Works great for bass, and I imagine great for synths as well.

dwetmaster

Post by dwetmaster » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:52 am

Thank you everybody.

Actually, this is the bass version of the diamond comp. It's is almost the same as the guitar version but the tilt eq frequency can be set @ 200 Hz instead of the regular 900Hz.
There is no lo-pass filter on it so it's no big deal if I use it with hi-freq sounds.

David Smyth

Post by David Smyth » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:08 pm

Just out of interest, would something like this pedal (or the guitar version) work well as a limiter for protecting speakers from synthesizer frequency spikes (mainly high frequencies into a bass stack, in my case). I have monitors for the studio, but for live synth stuff, I intend to use my bass stack as long as I can limit/protect it somewhat from (mainly) higher frequencies. Or would this task be more suited to a rack unit compressor/limiter?

David.
NZ
Minimoog Voyager XL, Little Phatty Stage II + CV Output Mod, 2x Slim Phatty, Minitaur, MP-201, EP-2, 2x CP-251, MF-102, MF-104M, MF-107