Edit Recall on SP/LP?

Everything Phatty.
Birkonium

Edit Recall on SP/LP?

Post by Birkonium » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:11 pm

Hi All,

First post on this board as I just bought myself a Slim Phatty and love it!! I was very into synths in the late 80's and this is my first new (to me) synth in over 20 years.

One thing I've searched for in the manual and online and haven't come across is some way to "recall" an edit to a patch…here's what I mean.

My first synth was an Oberheim Matrix-6 (which I'm now re-discovering and loving) and it had a feature that if you edited a patch and then went to another preset (losing your edit), you could use the "Edit Recall" feature from the master section to recall the last settings you had when editing a patch.

The usefulness of this is that if you were editing a patch and wanted to save it somewhere other than the source patch, you could go and audition your other patches to figure out who's going to get fired to make room for the new patch.

I'm finding that with a few knobs (infinitely more than my Oberheim which doesn't have a single knob) I often stray very far from the original patch and then I'm not sure where to store it! The thing is so new and I'm using it in a band so I want to keep some of the better factory presets until I come up with my own sounds to use.

So is there any way to do this on an LP/SP?

If not, it would be a great addition to the next firmware update.

David Smyth

Re: Edit Recall on SP/LP?

Post by David Smyth » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:11 am

Welcome to the forum! :D

As far as I know you are correct - it is not possible, at the moment at least. The closest thing I can think of is only possible if you stay on the patch slot you started modifying. Say you go to a stored preset. Without changing any parameters, the SP will be in "PRESET ACTIVE" as shown on the LCD screen. Modify any parameter, and the SP will change to "PANEL ACTIVE" as shown on the LCD screen. You can press the "PRESET" button below the screen to swap between these two modes (patch parameter settings). As soon as you change patch slot though, the panel active information is forgotten, so unfortunately, it's not useful for what you want to do.

I agree though that it would be a useful feature. You can suggest the idea to Amos (of Moog Music) in this thread, if you'd like: http://forum.moogmusic.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=19237

How I've got by so far though, is by eventually knowing most of the factory presets loosely - I generally have an idea of ones that I want to keep/tweak-slightly and ones that I never use/can overwrite.

Enjoy your new Moog! 8)

David.
NZ

P.S. Just a heads up that Amos has very recently released updated firmware for both the Little Phatty and Slim Phatty (with possible more updates to come) from page 4 of this thread: http://forum.moogmusic.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=20826 . It's sort of a beta firmware at the moment, with users testing it out and letting Amos know of any issues etc. - so there could be a few updates in the near future which should end up improving the performance quite a bit.
Minimoog Voyager XL, Little Phatty Stage II + CV Output Mod, 2x Slim Phatty, Minitaur, MP-201, EP-2, 2x CP-251, MF-102, MF-104M, MF-107

EDge

Post by EDge » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:02 am

I believe what you want to do is how saving new patches is done on the Novation Bass Station II? Perhaps Moog could implement in a similar way on the SP/LP (and on the Sub 37)...

teiko

Post by teiko » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:29 pm

Hey, I have a similar problem. Even further i use the preset-banks of Slim Phatty (Black + White Edition), Little Phatty (Stage I + II Edition), plus some other user generated libraries, which are stored as SysEx files on my PC. You can download all these presets on the Moog Website and exchange them with Midi-Ox. You have the possibility to load/save a) a single preset/panel, b) all presets or c) do a full memory dump.

I save all my self-made presets in my own preset-bank, which i also backup in a seperate file. When my own preset-bank is loaded, i can save it immediately in the next free slot, after my last made preset. Since i can "sysex" the original bank every time, i'm not loosing anything. But since there are only 100 preset slots, i have to load/save presets very often, which is a little bit annoying.

Anyway there is another possibility related to your problem: I have made a video for every factory preset-bank, where i play extensively with every single preset, turning all possible knobs, changing modulation, tone etc. So this videos get handy in at least two situations:
a) when you are searching for a specific sound for your song across all the preset-banks
b) you are in the creation of a new sound and want to quickly compare it to another preset

It's a sort of complete documentation. You don't have to load all the banks one after another, you can simply fast-switch through the presets just with the progress bar.

But still it would be very nice, if the panel mode could be saved in background. In this moment i'm getting another simple idea: You can just define a temporary preset slot for yourself, e.g. Slot 1 or 100. I think this is even the easiest solution for your problem at this time :wink:
Windows 10 Prof. X64 / Ableton Live 11 / Slim Phatty V3.21, Sub37 V1.20 / Moog USB Driver 4.25.0

Birkonium

Post by Birkonium » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:00 pm

Thanks for the ideas guys.

I will copy my original post to the suggestions thread in case Amos doesn't check the forum regularly.

I think what I'll do as a stop-gap solution is to dedicate one patch slot as a "Temporary" slot where I can store an edit and then look around for where to put it.

David Smyth

Post by David Smyth » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:37 pm

teiko wrote:In this moment i'm getting another simple idea: You can just define a temporary preset slot for yourself, e.g. Slot 1 or 100. I think this is even the easiest solution for your problem at this time :wink:
Regardless of any updates, I think this is a good idea in the meantime! A sort of temporary patch-holding slot until you can test out other locations and re-locate the patch..

David.
NZ
Minimoog Voyager XL, Little Phatty Stage II + CV Output Mod, 2x Slim Phatty, Minitaur, MP-201, EP-2, 2x CP-251, MF-102, MF-104M, MF-107