LP pitch wheel problem

Everything Phatty.
thetourist

LP pitch wheel problem

Post by thetourist » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:50 am

LP owners please help me to understand if I have gotten a bad pitch wheel or maybe it's just the way it is.

Checking with external tuner, when I bend down and let it go, the pitch wheel returns in position were the overall pitch is slightly sharp (~ 5 cents). When I bend upwards it returns straight. This is really annoying... The wheel itself has some free movement on the middle. Very very slight, but still not fixing dead in the middle, most probably causing this issue.
In the middle notch position the pitch wheel has some slight movement without feeling any pressure of the spring. I can move it slightly up and down freely. Let's say, the notch groove is 5 cents wide. Maybe this is common on LP?

I try to understand if I should send it back and ask to fix this problem. Maybe that is something that I can fix easy myself.

In comparison my Microkorg's pitch wheel snaps straight in the middle...

stiiiiiiive

Re: LP pitch wheel problem

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:17 am

Hi the Tourist, and welcome to the forum :)

I have to check with my LP, but this would not amaze me. I think it's fixable at home for some of us whose synth is not under warranty anymore and are not afraid of opening things.

About sending it back... well I would say that: is it really annoying to your ears? Because 5 cents on a tuner are not that huge, right? But hey, maybe you do mind, that's why I'm asking, for one part.
The other part is that sometimes we tend to focus on visual indications, or -worse- acurate measures of what should only be judged by ears. The youngest amongst us are from the generation of kids who do music with a screen: remove the graphical interface of that eq and some of them are lost.

Voilà.
I hope I've swept a wide enough spectrum of elements to help :)

thetourist

Post by thetourist » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:00 am

Also I just found out the wheel, when pushing downwards, changes the pitch to the set amount for example 2 steps, being half way down. In the rest half downwards it doesn't change the pitch at all. Is it matter of the pot? Please explain, I'm new to synths.
Pls take into account that the LP has just been calibrated.

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:00 pm

I looked into replacing my pitch/mod wheel assembly and the keyboard at one point. Both were quite affordable for the part and they are plug and play (no soldering required if I recall correctly).

Call tech support and ask them. Or look here: http://www.instrumentalparts.com/enc-20-000-0063.html for $39. Not sure of availability, but make a few calls. Should be nothing more than a few screws and a ribbon connector.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

enotide

Post by enotide » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:52 am

I just noticed mine are now sticky as well, I have the Same sticky rubber problem at work with my JBL LSR 4328's
JBL will do a replacement, but who has the downtime to send them in.
Thanks for the link, just ordered a replacement for about $50.