Setting LFO to steady 1/1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8 and so on...?

Everything Phatty.
kylister

Setting LFO to steady 1/1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8 and so on...?

Post by kylister » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:20 am

Hello!

So I got my sub phatty yesterday, really nice! :)

I do however have a problem with the LFO. How do I know at what tempo it is playing? As it is with this knob I have to guess if it is 1/4 or maybe 1/4T.

I saw something about CC messages in the manual and how different values sets different tempos. But what the hell is a CC message? Can't find anything on the internet about it.

What to do???

Thanks!

Stuka

Re: Setting LFO to steady 1/1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8 and so on...?

Post by Stuka » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:22 pm

Very basic overview:

CC messages are MIDI Continuous Controller messages.

MIDI is the "language" that musical instruments, controllers, apps, DAWS, etc. use to communicate, either via USB and a computer/host, or directly between devices via the 5-pin MID DIN connections.

Just about every moveable key or control on a modern MIDI-equipped keyboard or controller is sending a MIDI message;
Keys are sending messages pertaining to note pitch and duration, while just about everything else will send some sort of CC message.

Most MIDI-enabled instruments (including all the current generation of Moog synthesizers) can send AND receive MIDI messages to control different sound & effects paramaters. "Compact" synths like the Sub Phatty and Minitaur often have a LOT of "behind the scene" settings that can be addressed via MIDI.

Lots of good MIDI-related information on the Internet;
Here's a good intro that Roland put together:

http://cms.rolandus.com/assets/media/pd ... 1_MIDI.pdf

Randy
Little Phatty Solar CV, Minitaur, Slim Phatty (x2), MF-101, MF-102, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-105M, MF-108M, CP-251 (x2), Animoog app, Filtatron app, Model D app, Model 15 app...and some 5U modular and Doepfer stuff...

kylister

Post by kylister » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:16 pm

Thanks for the reply!

But, how do I send these messages from cubase for example?

Thanks!

Stuka

Post by Stuka » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:51 pm

You'll need to reference the Cubase manuals, help files or support forums to find out how that software handles MIDI with external hardware, since there's a lot of variation between DAW packages...
Little Phatty Solar CV, Minitaur, Slim Phatty (x2), MF-101, MF-102, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-105M, MF-108M, CP-251 (x2), Animoog app, Filtatron app, Model D app, Model 15 app...and some 5U modular and Doepfer stuff...

robml

Post by robml » Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:01 pm

most daws will send a tempo clock via midi when you click play. i dont use cubase, you might need to read the manual to see how to get cubase to send tempo clock to the sub phatty.

usually setting up an instrument track will do it in most daws.

you can then set the timing of the midi sync with the LFO RATE knob.

if you set up an instrument track in your daw, then turn on the metronome in your daw and click play, then play notes on the sub phatty, you can then turn the LFO rate knob to change the sync timing as you play notes on the sub. although there is no way to see what LFO CLOCK DIVIDER setting you are currently on (1/2, 1/4, whole etc), you should be able to hear if it is in time with the metronome when you play notes on the sub.

if you have ableton live, you can use the latest beta ableton max patch i created SUBPHATTY-BETA-0.27.amxd (check the thread on the forum) to turn on MIDI SYNC and then choose which LFO CLOCK DIVIDER timing you want from a pull down menu.

cheers

jasonduerr

Post by jasonduerr » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:40 am

I think what you are asking about is LFO MIDI sync

see the manual page 21 for how to get to shift mode, then page 29 for how to set LFO to follow MIDI

I use it both ways, with LFO internal (not synced), and LFO as a time divider tracked to MIDI

TffShtt

Post by TffShtt » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:32 am

Hi kylister,

alternatively if you have an iPad sitting around you can use the template I made for the Sub's hidden parameter's...it's super easy:

1. tap on MIDI sync, to sync it to an incoming MIDI clock signal (e.g. from your DAW, hardware sequencer or other synth sending MIDI clock)
2. select the clock divide

If you use the faceplate's potentiometer you are basically selecting the clock divide blind...

NOTE: you have to have TB midi stuff installed on the ipad (<$5 in the itunes store). My template is free, no registration or login required for the download, plus you have access to all the other CC accessible hidden parameters listed in the manual (there are a few you can only access through keystrokes on the hardware).

here's a link to the demo and the template...
http://youtu.be/3qdm-Hq9oII