Can't get external audio processing to work

Everything Phatty.
barryfell

Can't get external audio processing to work

Post by barryfell » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:27 pm

I'm trying to use the external audio input to process my M1000 but I'm not having much luck.

I read that I need to connect a dummy 1/4" jack to KB Gate, but when I do that I get a sustained note from the SubP, and can barely hear the M1000 being passed through in the background. External audio input is all the way up in the editor.

I'm sure there must be something obvious I'm not doing.

Any ideas?

EDIT: It's OK I solved the problem myself. I just had to turn the SubP's osc's down. :D

barryfell

Re: Can't get external audio processing to work

Post by barryfell » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:59 pm

Ok next question now I've got external hardware being processed via the SubP and it's sounding great...

How can I process audio direct from my computer via it? The routing is giving me a headache. :o

I've got an RME Babyface if that's any help.

Thanks

Stuka

Post by Stuka » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:33 pm

Any audio routing using Moog synths has to be done using the physical audio jacks -
The USB port is MIDI-only.

To process computer audio on the Phatty, your audio application would need to be configured to send audio to the RME's audio output.
The RME audio output would then need to be physically connected to the Phatty's audio input, just like any other external gear.
Little Phatty Solar CV, Minitaur, Slim Phatty (x2), MF-101, MF-102, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-105M, MF-108M, CP-251 (x2), Animoog app, Filtatron app, Model D app, Model 15 app...and some 5U modular and Doepfer stuff...

e3p0

Post by e3p0 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:38 pm

You can turn down the volume of the oscillators and then use the filters. (sorry I didn't read that you solved this...)

If I wanted to filter a track or use an analog compressor or something, I would disconnect my main outputs.

-connect one side XLR out to audio input of the moog (or input of outboard gear).
-return the audio output to the Babyface (line or DI)

In your DAW make sure all tracks you DO NOT want processed are sent to out 3/4 and the track you want to process is sent to output 1/2

In Totalmix
-click on your main output
-make sure the input you are returning on fader is down.
-click on output 3/4 (mine says Phones 1)
-make sure the fader for the track you are returning on is up
-make sure the fader for AN 1/2 is down and PH 3/4 is up.

I am sure there is other ways to route this stuff, but I do it this way. You monitor with headphones and use XLR line outs to feed outboard gear.

I hope this helps. This works for me and I can hear what I am doing and get no awful feedback loops.

If I am crazy and I could be doing this easier someone please tell me.

barryfell

Post by barryfell » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:44 am

e3p0 wrote:You can turn down the volume of the oscillators and then use the filters. (sorry I didn't read that you solved this...)

If I wanted to filter a track or use an analog compressor or something, I would disconnect my main outputs.

-connect one side XLR out to audio input of the moog (or input of outboard gear).
-return the audio output to the Babyface (line or DI)

In your DAW make sure all tracks you DO NOT want processed are sent to out 3/4 and the track you want to process is sent to output 1/2

In Totalmix
-click on your main output
-make sure the input you are returning on fader is down.
-click on output 3/4 (mine says Phones 1)
-make sure the fader for the track you are returning on is up
-make sure the fader for AN 1/2 is down and PH 3/4 is up.

I am sure there is other ways to route this stuff, but I do it this way. You monitor with headphones and use XLR line outs to feed outboard gear.

I hope this helps. This works for me and I can hear what I am doing and get no awful feedback loops.

If I am crazy and I could be doing this easier someone please tell me.
That's the answer I was after thanks. :) The routing in TotalMIx still confuses me on occasion.

e3p0

Post by e3p0 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:03 pm

No problem. Post success or failures.

barryfell

Post by barryfell » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:08 pm

e3p0 wrote:No problem. Post success or failures.
Working perfectly. Thanks again. :)

e3p0

Post by e3p0 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:18 pm

Very cool!

Totalmix is odd to me because every time I use it I figure out something else. It looks simple enough though.