Slim Phatty ARP

Everything Phatty.
Ophidean

Slim Phatty ARP

Post by Ophidean » Fri May 31, 2013 9:00 pm

So i just purchased a Slim Phatty and i was hoping someone could answer a quandary I've come upon.
Disclaimer: I'm a complete newbie when it comes to dealing with analog synths, especially Arpeggiators. (my first one)

I'm a huge PF fan so of course the first sequence I try is the legendary "On the Run" middle section Roger Waters did using an EMS.

I set the phatty arp to:
Mode: loop
Pattern: Order
Arp Latch: On

Using a Novation SL MK II as my KB source I tried to loop the 8 sixteenth notes sequence (E2 G2 A2 G2 D3 C3 D3 E3)
The tempo is obviously well past 120 BPM so I started slow. I have tried every possible setting and I can't get this to work. In short, is there a limit to the # of notes the phatty can handle? I can't even get the second G2 to play. I know you can use a DAW and MIDI the sequence out, but that wouldn't be much fun. I'm wondering if it's some setting on my Novation?
GEAR: Voyager select series Maple/Electric blue, CP-251, VX-351, Etherwave Theremin, MF101, MF104m (White), MMF108m.

Amos

Re: Slim Phatty ARP

Post by Amos » Fri May 31, 2013 9:38 pm

you have to keep holding a key down if you want to add notes to a pattern. if you release all keys and then press a new key it resets the pattern. So, press and hold the first note then enter the remaining notes whilst still holding the first, and it should work. Then you can release the held key. When you get tired of that pattern and want a new one, pressing a key will reset the pattern.

Portamental

Post by Portamental » Fri May 31, 2013 10:02 pm

I am not sure how and if it can be done with the arpeggiator. Normally a sequencer is used, some say at 166, i prefer 160 bpm. Your gear list say you have a Voyager. Better than the Slim to do the sequence. Use only one oscillator, square wave. During the run, you will want to turn the Cut-off, resonance knobs, as well as the Noise in the mixer, two at once, in any direction, alternate knob pairs. Get the feel of how the sound varies while turning the knobs. Change knobs as you feel. In no time you should be able to do your own version. Fun is guaranteed.

Ophidean

Post by Ophidean » Fri May 31, 2013 10:13 pm

Amos wrote:you have to keep holding a key down if you want to add notes to a pattern. if you release all keys and then press a new key it resets the pattern. So, press and hold the first note then enter the remaining notes whilst still holding the first, and it should work. Then you can release the held key. When you get tired of that pattern and want a new one, pressing a key will reset the pattern.
Seems to only work going up a scale, as soon as you try to add a note going down it resets. Unless I am doing something wrong
GEAR: Voyager select series Maple/Electric blue, CP-251, VX-351, Etherwave Theremin, MF101, MF104m (White), MMF108m.

Amos

Post by Amos » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:10 am

the slim / LP arpeggiator isn't a full fledged sequencer; it can't play the same note more than once in a pattern.
So, to duplicate exactly the sequence you want, you'd need a "real" sequencer of some sort, with the ability to repeat really arbitrary sequences of notes,
instead of the more restrictive rules that typically apply to arpeggiators.

arpeggiators really shine when you play them live, changing what chords you are holding in a rhythmic fashion, "playing with" the patterns as you play different notes. Good luck and have fun!