Rudi Linhard slew rate mod

Everything Phatty.
anselmi

Rudi Linhard slew rate mod

Post by anselmi » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:43 am

I recently read about this mod but can´t find some working audio examples of it (links are broken)

I wonder if this is do-able in the phattys (slim and little)...I missed some brighter oscillators, maybe like the minitaur ones...I dunno about the sub-p but from the demos alone they seems to suffer from the same "dullness"

kingfriday

Re: Rudi Linhard slew rate mod

Post by kingfriday » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:17 pm

The Sub does not suffer from dull oscillators. They're very bright and forward, especially with some multidrive dialed in. They sound more like Minitaur oscs than Phatty oscs to my ears.

Still curious about this mod, though. Wasn't aware of it before this post and after looking into it, I'm intrigued.

Waza

Post by Waza » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:04 pm

as far as i'm aware the Sub is osc are based on the minituar.
Computer: 3.4ghz i7 Quad core, 24gb Ram,
Soundcard : Focusrite Saffire 56
DAW: Studio One 64 Bit
Plugins : Too Many to say
Hardware: Moog Model D, Access Virus Ti2 Keyboard

monokit

Post by monokit » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:43 pm

Hi anselmi! Nice to meet you here as well. Sorry for the broken link on the elektron-forum. Here´s something else:

Voyager without slew rate mod:
www.moogmusic.de/old_Voyager_slew_rate.avi

Voyager with slew rate mod:
www.moogmusic.de/new_Voyager_slew_rate.avi

anselmi

Post by anselmi » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:28 am

kingfriday wrote:The Sub does not suffer from dull oscillators. They're very bright and forward, especially with some multidrive dialed in. They sound more like Minitaur oscs than Phatty oscs to my ears.

Still curious about this mod, though. Wasn't aware of it before this post and after looking into it, I'm intrigued.
for the demos the sub-p sounds more phatty than taur...but maybe I´m wrong (I hope!)...
and to bright up oscillators using the overdrive is not what I want...this just lead to square-ish, saturated sounds, not clean bright sawtooth waves or triangle ones

anyway what you said about the sub-p oscillators is a light at the end of the tunnel for me, so I´ll be tuned with other demos and oppiniones about this specific topic because it´s critical to make my decision

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:52 am

I remember reading somewhere that the Sub-Phatty oscillators are based on a Taur core but with the continuously variable waveshape of the Phatty's.

Hey Monokit, thanks for these vids. I was not aware of this modification. Does it make a great difference in sound, out of curiosity?

BTW, the EU forum is on again.
Last edited by stiiiiiiive on Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

anselmi

Post by anselmi » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:02 am

monokit wrote:Hi anselmi! Nice to meet you here as well. Sorry for the broken link on the elektron-forum. Here´s something else:

Voyager without slew rate mod:
http://www.moogmusic.de/old_Voyager_slew_rate.avi

Voyager with slew rate mod:
http://www.moogmusic.de/new_Voyager_slew_rate.avi
thanks for posting this monokit
I´d love to hear the difference too...is something very noticeable or just a subtle change?

monokit

Post by monokit » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:08 am

i had a Voy RME and a modded Voyager Performer. Side by side the difference is obviously noticeable. The mod let the osc sound brighter and more open. More like Model D sounding. Not sure if Moog is applying this mod by default to newer Voyagers.

SubPhatty sounds different, thats why i chose this one now as replacement.