Possibile to get a sound like this on the PHATTY?

Everything Phatty.
MooGoogle

Possibile to get a sound like this on the PHATTY?

Post by MooGoogle » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:44 pm

I just recently got my first analog synth, and Im excited about the excellent sounds! but now Im drooling over the Voyager... I really wish the Phatty had a 3rd oscillator! :roll: :wink: 8) :evil:

Anyways is there anyway to dial in a sound like this on the phatty?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVL24M8jEfA

MooGoogle

Re: Possibile to get a sound like this on the PHATTY?

Post by MooGoogle » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:26 pm

Anyone ?! ;-)

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:59 am

I'm not sure there is more than oscilllator here. Maybe two.

I would start sawtooth, with fast but not fastest attack, short release, full sustain on amp evelope generator.
On the filter, no or few resonance and moderate cutoff frequency.

Come on colleague, YOU have the synth now, so try it!! :)

Tuskerfort

Post by Tuskerfort » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:22 am

Agreed with Stiiive. It's probably not more than a single saw wave on that patch. If you are desparate for additional oscillators you can always run additional oscillators and even modulation waveforms into your phatty.

What he is controlling with the mod wheel appears to be the delay time on the 104. Sounds like an additional oscillator but it is not. Most delays allow you to change delay time. Analog delays provide a smooth, oogy (muddy in a nice way) quality. The 104 is particularly "oogy." :P

However if you wanted to control an oscillator's pitch separately in the Phatty, sure you can. Start making patches. Most of what you hear is within reach!! :D

ricknboogie

Post by ricknboogie » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:47 pm

Agreed, there's nothing special about that Voyager patch, and a Phatty can certainly cover a sound like that. Realise also, in the video, a couple of Foogers were being used as well. You can use any fx you want with a Phatty, and delay especially is very useful. But, it's time to learn subtractive synthesis, and understand "how" to make the sounds you want.

MooGoogle

Post by MooGoogle » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:11 am

ricknboogie wrote:Agreed, there's nothing special about that Voyager patch, and a Phatty can certainly cover a sound like that. Realise also, in the video, a couple of Foogers were being used as well. You can use any fx you want with a Phatty, and delay especially is very useful. But, it's time to learn subtractive synthesis, and understand "how" to make the sounds you want.
any good recommendations? books videos?

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:58 am

My first synth was a Little Phatty. I learned how to make certain sounds by looking at the settings of the factory patches, and testing out what each button/knob did to the sound. The biggest thing for me was understanding how the envelopes affected the sound. Just lots of practice and experimentation. I feel that the hands-on approach is the best way to learn synthesis. :wink:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:17 am

Agreed. I take the risk of repeating myself: PLAY.

Experiment.

Tweak and listen.

Then come back to some theory to reinforce your just acquired knowledge.

Enjoy!