A Ghost in the Machine

Everything Phatty.
Tom Liberatore

A Ghost in the Machine

Post by Tom Liberatore » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:59 pm

This is my first post and I was hoping to have it be a bit more logical but, oh well. I play a Hammond XK-1/System 21 in a loud, high energy rock band, and was having trouble cutting through our twin lead guitars. After a bit of research, I came up with the bright idea of adding a Slim Phatty to the mix to create the HAMMOOG, the instrument of mass destruction. It absolutely works, I am able to blend a powerful sound into the Leslie, which has a stationary channel, and cut through the guitars just fine. The problems that I am having are that the output volume of the Phatty seems to vary greatly preset to preset and that Slim likes to change it's presets when I'm not looking. At first I thought that I must be as nutty as everyone says, but it has happened enough times that I'm beginning to think that there are pixies in the panel somewhere. I don't think that it changes while I am playing it, but if I have played a solo using "Dirty Cheese" there is half a chance that the panel will display something like "Ripsaw Bass" the next time that I glance at it. I bought the MOOG used on eBay [with wood sides!] and the PO said that such a thing only happened to them once. I updated the firmware to 3.12, does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be going on?
Thanks, Tom
Hammond XK-5, A-100, Voyager RME, Leslie 3300, Studiologic Sledge (yellow)

Set

Re: A Ghost in the Machine

Post by Set » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:23 pm

Hi Tom Welcome on Board,
The problems that I am having are that the output volume of the Phatty seems to vary greatly preset to preset

My guess is that some presets have the overload knob turn all the way up while some others aren't using the ladder distortion at all. This increase the volume quite a bit so you might check this knob.

Hum about the other problem i'm not sure never had this issue. Did you try a factory reset ? Do you have any other synths or controllers that could send program change message trough midi ? If the problem still occurs might try to contact moog support (after a factory reset cf manual)

Tom Liberatore

Re: A Ghost in the Machine

Post by Tom Liberatore » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:00 pm

Thanks, I will try the factory re-set. The only controller is the XK-1, midi'd to the Phatty.
Hammond XK-5, A-100, Voyager RME, Leslie 3300, Studiologic Sledge (yellow)