Using the Rekon VST Editor - help please

Everything Phatty.
MrBump

Using the Rekon VST Editor - help please

Post by MrBump » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:12 pm

hi there.

I've recently purchased the Rekon editor for my Lil Phatty - it's the AU plugin one.

I wonder if anyone can let me know where I might be going wrong please.

I have it all set up so it's working well, everything saves and automation is working and playing back between Logic and the editor itself.

But, I close a project, open it again immediately only to find the midi timing of the Lil Phatty is really out. The Lil Phatty settings have been saved but the thing just won't playback in time. If I re-record the Lil Phatty midi part in again it keeps perfect time. Until that is I shut down the file and re-open it again, then it's way out.

Anyone know why this would be please?

Many thanks for any help

Simon

kingnimrod

Re: Using the Rekon VST Editor - help please

Post by kingnimrod » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:29 pm

I could never get it to work right with my slim phatty. The developer said it won't work with the USB MIDI, but I had problems using it with regular MIDI as well. Maybe Moog will develop a better solution...

MrBump

Post by MrBump » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:04 pm

Thanks for your reply.

I just heard back from the developer to say it doesn't work over USB too. I suggested he say that to save people wasting time when they buy it.

I'll try it with old school midi and report back.

Fingers crossed.

misterpete

Post by misterpete » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:20 pm

Hey. Mr. Bump! So how did you make out? If you search the forum you'll see that lots of us got refunds ~myself included, using the AU version in Logic. On the other hand, I just saw an encouraging msg from Perry about how VST users can make the Rekon Phatty Editor work with Ableton LIVE
MrBump wrote:Thanks for your reply.

I just heard back from the developer to say it doesn't work over USB too. I suggested he say that to save people wasting time when they buy it.

I'll try it with old school midi and report back.

Fingers crossed.
Please Call Me, PETE
https://petedako.bandcamp.com/music
"Mr. Pete" at ModWiggler @petedako on Twitter,
Bandcamp & all the other platforms :D

MrBump

Post by MrBump » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:53 am

I bought a new MOTU midi interface, hooked everything up with midi cables and it doesn't work properly no.

It almost does, but moving the mod wheel cuts sound from the synth and to get it back I have to power off then on again. Which is inconvenient to say the least. I have tried working through every editor setting one by one to identify what is causing it. No joy.

I feel it's some sort of midi loop but the Rekon dev guy has now gone quiet on me for the past couple of days - so while I want it to work and will give it one last try if he ever replies, if he doesn't in the next couple of days I'll be asking for a refund too. Assume Moog are happy to issue a refund then on this? ('Happy' being a relatively elastic term in this context!)

I have wasted an awful lot of time installing, un-installing, deleting pref files, buying new gear etc etc so I'm not exactly pleased about my experience to date. It's very disappointing as I wanted to have it all, outboard controlled through the DAW with total recall. One of the reasons I bought a Lil Phatty in fact.

Having said that it's better than the Mopho KB Rekon editor as it won't even open on my iMac. Not impressed at all by the clear lack of testing.

I'm using Logic on a new iMac running Mountain Lion btw.

cheers

misterpete

Post by misterpete » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:58 pm

Good luck, Simon! ~ For what it's worth, I'm on OSX 10.6.8 ~ and while the Rekon software didn't work for me at all ~ the SoundTower standalone editor for the Voyager has worked well, and the Rev2 Editor for Minitaur is simply excellent! Have never seen a better Editor for any synth, than the Minitaur's (for any price) and that's going back to Opcode ~ I would love if MOOG could revise that same Minitaur editor, so it will work for Taurus and if they could come up with a similar in-house product for the Phattys, that would be awesome! I love the SP but I'm very glad it's not my only MOOG~ for a synth with so much going on 'under the hood' it really deserves better!
MrBump wrote:I bought a new MOTU midi interface, hooked everything up with midi cables and it doesn't work properly no.

It almost does, but moving the mod wheel cuts sound from the synth and to get it back I have to power off then on again. Which is inconvenient to say the least. I have tried working through every editor setting one by one to identify what is causing it. No joy.

I feel it's some sort of midi loop but the Rekon dev guy has now gone quiet on me for the past couple of days - so while I want it to work and will give it one last try if he ever replies, if he doesn't in the next couple of days I'll be asking for a refund too. Assume Moog are happy to issue a refund then on this? ('Happy' being a relatively elastic term in this context!)

I have wasted an awful lot of time installing, un-installing, deleting pref files, buying new gear etc etc so I'm not exactly pleased about my experience to date. It's very disappointing as I wanted to have it all, outboard controlled through the DAW with total recall. One of the reasons I bought a Lil Phatty in fact.

Having said that it's better than the Mopho KB Rekon editor as it won't even open on my iMac. Not impressed at all by the clear lack of testing.

I'm using Logic on a new iMac running Mountain Lion btw.

cheers
Please Call Me, PETE

misterpete

Post by misterpete » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:06 pm

Oh I am surprised by this! ~ http://Moogmusic.com/products/apps/litt ... -librarian

I was not aware that SoundTower made a Phatty editor - the product description doesn't say anything about supporting the Slim,or not but I have downloaded the demo version and will try it

I know that some people complained about the SoundTower Voyager app ~ but it works for me!
MrBump wrote:It almost does
UPDATE: no dice~ DEJA VU?~maybe this why ST got complaints? ~ I could not get the SoundTower Little Phatty Editor going with my Slim at all. Just got a RUNTIME Error and crashed every time try to setting it up ~ either by USB or DIN via MIDI SPORT. Again this app was not advertised to work with the SLIM and the SoundTower Voyager software does work for me
Please Call Me, PETE

MrBump

Post by MrBump » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:22 pm

You have a lot of Moogs Misterpete!

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:04 pm

misterpete wrote:Oh I am surprised by this! ~ http://Moogmusic.com/products/apps/litt ... -librarian

I was not aware that SoundTower made a Phatty editor - the product description doesn't say anything about supporting the Slim,or not but I have downloaded the demo version and will try it

I know that some people complained about the SoundTower Voyager app ~ but it works for me!
MrBump wrote:It almost does
UPDATE: no dice~ DEJA VU?~maybe this why ST got complaints? ~ I could not get the SoundTower Little Phatty Editor going with my Slim at all. Just got a RUNTIME Error and crashed every time try to setting it up ~ either by USB or DIN via MIDI SPORT. Again this app was not advertised to work with the SLIM and the SoundTower Voyager software does work for me
The ST Phatty editor is absolute crap. I had to download a demo of it to update the LP firmware once. It wouldn't work worth a damn. I had to ask Amos to send me a sysex version of the firmware. One thing about the demo is that ALL of the functions are disabled, as to hide the numerous bugs in the software. Not worth the 1's and 0's it's made of, and CERTAINLY not worth $69.
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

misterpete

Post by misterpete » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:55 am

YES ~ I got confused - I think there was this ST version before REKON ~ maybe I ALREADY got a refund for BOTH of them ~ :lol: all I know is the only version of anything that ever worked even a little bit was a Beta I got from AMOS but that was some time back.

Until another solution comes along Mr. Bump ~ I recommend using the free utility that is linked or included with the FirmWare updates to save and load phatty patches
Voltor07 wrote:The ST Phatty editor is absolute crap. I had to download a demo of it to update the LP firmware once. It wouldn't work worth a damn. I had to ask Amos to send me a sysex version of the firmware. One thing about the demo is that ALL of the functions are disabled, as to hide the numerous bugs in the software. Not worth the 1's and 0's it's made of, and CERTAINLY not worth $69.
MrBump wrote:you have a lot of Moogs Misterpete!
and OH HOW i DO love them, mr. bump! :lol: Always room for one more too!
here's hoping the Sub Phatty comes with an Editor ~ and lots of CV options!!!
Please Call Me, PETE

umami

Post by umami » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:43 pm

Has anyone made progress with this app, or have a working setup that they can share? I notice Rekon has released a newer version of the editor, but it's still a miserable piece of s**t for the most part. I have had mediocre success transferring presets to/from my LP, mostly it just crashes the synth. Yes, it crashes the synth.

I will never, ever buy another piece of software from Rekon. For $69, I'd expect better instructions and some support from the developer.

hiitsme

Post by hiitsme » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:53 pm

Damn... this is bad news. I just bought a Slim and was expecting to have ITB control, patch edit/save/library functions.

I bought it. Then I saw the two $69 plugins. Then I saw hundreds of threads talking about how crap they are. It came out in 2011 right? 2 years on and STILL no, free or not, all-in-one solution available :?: