Slim Phatty / Minitaur Output Volume

Everything Phatty.
sp00ge

Slim Phatty / Minitaur Output Volume

Post by sp00ge » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:06 pm

I have a Minitaur and Slim Phatty. I have been testing the standard output volume of both synths via the default mono output and I noticed a significant discrepancy. In short I am measuring a -20db input into Ableton with the Slim Phatty versus a -6db input with the Minitaur. I have tested with both unbalanced and balanced cables, the result appears to be the same.

Can I assume that the SP is designed with a mono -10db line output while the Minitaur is designed for a +4 db line output (as my input volumes suggest), or is there another reason for this? Perhaps I missed this info in the manual. I have tested with both balanced and unbalanced cabling with the same result.

For the heck of it, I hooked up an insert cable (stereo TRS to dual mono TS) to the headphone jack to check volume levels on the SP and the default output level greatly exceeded 0db....not that this is meaningful, but it makes me wonder if my mono output on the SP is in operating as it should.

Thanks!

Voltor07

Re: Slim Phatty / Minitaur Output Volume

Post by Voltor07 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:34 pm

I've noticed that the Taurus 3 is quite a bit louder than the LP. My guess is the difference lies in the grossly overdriven Taurus filter. Also, perhaps the VCA design is different.
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:59 am

It is indeed a lot quieter. I agree with much of Voltor07's comments. Another thing to consider is that you've got OD on the Slim, which will definitely help things get louder. My preamp is usually set at +25db for the SP to accommodate for the lower sound output, but I often need to gain stage down with more dynamic or patches heavy on the overdrive.
www.ctrlshft.com

sp00ge

Post by sp00ge » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:36 pm

As stated it also occurred to me that the output may be purposely low to provide headroom for the overdrive circuit...as long as others are seeing the same I will assume the output volume is normal. Thanks.