Slim Phatty CV Out

Everything Phatty.
Roy

Slim Phatty CV Out

Post by Roy » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:26 am

Hi there,

Is there any talk of the CV out mod being made available for the Slim Phatty?

Cheers,

Roy

slabwax

Re: Slim Phatty CV Out

Post by slabwax » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:53 am

I believe when the Slim Phatty was first released Amos said they would not be able to too the cv mod because there is not enough room on the board or the housing. I don't recall which it was but it was brought up and put back down rather quickly.

kingnimrod

Post by kingnimrod » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:10 am

I was told by a Moog tech rep today that they are actively working on it and that it will be a breakout box solution.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:00 pm

THIS would seal the deal for me. I wonder if you could polychain an LP with the CV outs with a bunch of SP's with ins going to outs, etc. :mrgreen:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

David Smyth

Post by David Smyth » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:48 pm

Awesome news! :D I'll be following this break-out box solution closely!
Voltor07 wrote:I wonder if you could polychain an LP with the CV outs with a bunch of SP's with ins going to outs, etc. :mrgreen:
That would be pretty cool, but I doubt it - I can't see one set of Little Phatty 1/4" jack CV outputs distributing multiple sets of note information for multiple Slim Phattys, in the way that midi can. Also, I imagine the CV Outputs are probably purely analog and ignore the firmware's poly settings (I should test this with my poly-chain next time I have the chance!).

David.
NZ
Minimoog Voyager XL, Little Phatty Stage II + CV Output Mod, 2x Slim Phatty, Minitaur, MP-201, EP-2, 2x CP-251, MF-102, MF-104M, MF-107

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:54 pm

Not poly info out the LP, but if each slim has a CV out, a note out of each slim. Not to mention, modulation routings all over the place between instruments.

David Smyth

Post by David Smyth » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:13 pm

Sir Nose wrote:Not poly info out the LP, but if each slim has a CV out, a note out of each slim. Not to mention, modulation routings all over the place between instruments.
But a set of note data coming out of a slim is not going to result in polyphony, it's going to result in multiple units playing "stacked" in a monophonic manner. The next slim needs a different note (pitch CV) and different timing (gate pulse) than the previous slim, and for this reason I don't see how a slim's CV outputs could be of any use in a poly-chaining scenario.

But great modulation routings between units - sure!

David.
NZ
Minimoog Voyager XL, Little Phatty Stage II + CV Output Mod, 2x Slim Phatty, Minitaur, MP-201, EP-2, 2x CP-251, MF-102, MF-104M, MF-107

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:14 pm

Sir Nose wrote:Not poly info out the LP, but if each slim has a CV out, a note out of each slim. Not to mention, modulation routings all over the place between instruments.
That works, too! In a way, I like this better than polyphony!
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

puzzlegob

Post by puzzlegob » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:46 am

kingnimrod wrote:I was told by a Moog tech rep today that they are actively working on it and that it will be a breakout box solution.
Man that is exciting news! I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:38 am

David Smyth wrote:
But a set of note data coming out of a slim is not going to result in polyphony, it's going to result in multiple units playing "stacked" in a monophonic manner. The next slim needs a different note (pitch CV) and different timing (gate pulse) than the previous slim, and for this reason I don't see how a slim's CV outputs could be of any use in a poly-chaining scenario.

But great modulation routings between units - sure!

David.
NZ
Control the slims via midi and use the CV outs to the CV ins of different parameters
Ex. The note CV of the highest note controlling the filter of the lowest and vice-versa for example.

Different note:
Mixing different LFO shapes together from the different units would be fun. The phatty really needs a LFO destination 1: off setting, at least in the menu, to turn the internal LFO off when using the CV out.

David Smyth

Post by David Smyth » Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:57 am

Sir Nose wrote:Control the slims via midi and use the CV outs to the CV ins of different parameters
Ex. The note CV of the highest note controlling the filter of the lowest and vice-versa for example.
Ah, I see what you mean, using the CV's in combination with midi.
Sir Nose wrote: Different note:
Mixing different LFO shapes together from the different units would be fun. The phatty really needs a LFO destination 1: off setting, at least in the menu, to turn the internal LFO off when using the CV out.
I agree on both points! I've felt the same need for a "LFO off" setting while using the LP's CV Output Mod recently. Seems like it should be a pretty easy firmware addition.

David.
NZ

kingnimrod

Post by kingnimrod » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:08 am

Bumping this for interest. Where is the breakout box, Moog?

Elgo

Post by Elgo » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:46 am

Agreed - I would kill for a CV out on my Slim. Any news?

misterpete

Post by misterpete » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:32 am

While a CV breakout box would be ideal, I would be happy to see a software solution to map CV in and out of the existing CV inputs like we already have on the Minitaur REV 2 and what has been promised for the Sub Phatty — the Slim and Little Phattys are crying for a decent editor/librarian anyway :)
Elgo wrote:Agreed - I would kill for a CV out on my Slim. Any news?
Please Call Me, PETE
https://petedako.bandcamp.com/music
"Mr. Pete" at ModWiggler @petedako on Twitter,
Bandcamp & all the other platforms :D

Elgo

Post by Elgo » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:43 pm

Yes, that would be perfect (a similar update to the Minitaur CV update). If I could map the CV inputs of the Slim to be CV outputs, it would be amazing!

It would also add value to the Slim Phatty, much as it did with the Minitaur. Moog, can you make this happen? :)