Dave Smith Tempest and Little Phatty - What would YOU do???

Everything Phatty.
ShaneT

Dave Smith Tempest and Little Phatty - What would YOU do???

Post by ShaneT » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:39 am

Hey all,

I found my next purchase, and I'd love to get your input on how YOU guys would make these two pieces of kit work and play together.

Check this out - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEaaG6B4jH8

It's the Dave Smith Tempest analog drum machine, go look at the product page here -

http://www.davesmithinstruments.com/products/tempest/

Yes, it's expensive, and complex, but I've been reading about it a lot, and it's really pretty cool. I'd love to know your thoughts and see what you have to say about it.

Here's a pretty well done review of it -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxgSxeNlvnE

So here's my real question to you all, since I'm a relative NOOB at analog, what would YOU guys do with these two synths to make them work and play together? Would you add additional components? If so, which ones?

I'm looking for a bunch of great starting places to get some creative juices flowing, and I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Thanks!!!

Shane T.

gruvsyco

Re: Dave Smith Tempest and Little Phatty - What would YOU do

Post by gruvsyco » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:16 pm

I have them both. I haven't really done much with them collectively because it wasn't until recently that I've had enough audio connections to hook them up together. If I'm not mistaken, there's a few Tempest owners with Phattys (Little or Slim).

Not really sure what you want to know about making them work together. I'm using Live as my center of activity. It's sync'd to the Tempest. The only other clocking component you would really need to worry about is the arp in the Phatty, you can just set that to external sync.

I also own a CP-251 I got to use with the CV mods on the Phatty, it turns out I can also use it in conjunction with the Tempest. Right now, Tempest is lacking free running LFOs (may be added in a future software update), you can route the LFO on the CP-251 into the controller input on the Tempest and use it in the mod matrix.

They are a great combination.

ZenHead

Post by ZenHead » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:29 pm

I have a Little Phatty but not the Tempest. I have been thing of getting one. As far as connecting with the little phatty, that does not interest me too much. I do know that there are six voice outputs on the Tempest. I’m not sure if those are control voltage outs. If they are, then I would be more interested in experimenting with my Moogerfooger setup. But still I look at the Tempest as a stand-alone rhythm machine and that opinion might change after/if I get one. I do think it has rich tones and you couldn’t go wrong using both, Little Phatty and Tempest.

Good luck with your ideas and if you do get this setup I would like to know how it works for you.

EricK

Post by EricK » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:02 am

That is one piece of gear that I would absolutely love to have, but everytime I get that kind of cash, I just can't bring myself to do it. It is lower on the list of "Must Haves".
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

e3p0

Post by e3p0 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:40 am

I wish I hadn't seen that thing. Now my wife is going to kill me.

I read a comment on a Youtube vid where somebody was saying why not just buy a Mashine...
...I can honestly tell you that I don't want Mashine, but Tempest, man.

-e

musaee

Post by musaee » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:27 am

ShaneT wrote: So here's my real question to you all, since I'm a relative NOOB at analog, what would YOU guys do with these two synths to make them work and play together? Would you add additional components? If so, which ones?

I'm looking for a bunch of great starting places to get some creative juices flowing, and I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Thanks!!!

Shane T.
Peace Shane...

I have both and I use Logic to sync both.

I program on theTempest and slave it to midi clock coming from Logic (recent OS updates have made the timing really solid) and then I sequence the LP in logic.

I really like the two in tandem as they are very different but complimentary sounding pieces. Programming is a little more menu intense on the Tempest but there is actually alot more you can do with it. I actually "PLAY" with the tempest ALOt. Messing with all the mod paths and stuff.

I'm one of the few hip hop guys with this setup...its a new sound.. modern yet... warm lol if that makes sense

peace