My Slim Phatty needs a partner.

Everything Phatty.
pedrobigas

My Slim Phatty needs a partner.

Post by pedrobigas » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:11 am

Hello guys,

I'm a proud owner of SP and I'm having great fun with it. I decided that it's time for me to give it a good friend.

I'm no musician, I just like to experiment with sounds, trigger arppegiating sequences with a background drum track and modulate the synth parameters. I haven't recorded anything, it's just pure momentaneum mind/ear pleasure.

What yould you guys suggest me? It could be effects, another synth, whatever. But it has to widen the possibilities and make beautiful sounds!

Ive thought of Minitaur, CP-251, Moogerfooger Ring Mod, Eventide Space or Timefactor, EHX Memory Man ( in no particular order), but I'm always changing my mind. What's the next essential item for me?

I have no particular needs in terms of sound, my budget is $600 and I need to decide till the end of tomorrow =/!

P.S.: I also have a Electribe EMX-1

CTRLSHFT

Re: My Slim Phatty needs a partner.

Post by CTRLSHFT » Tue May 01, 2012 12:31 am

Hey man, spilling over from GS I see. :)

DSI Tetra might be a good choice if you don't mind stretching that budget a little and editing with the software editor. It's a great companion polysynth and sounds a lot different with it's curtis filters than moog. If you can be patient and wait til the end of the month, Arturia's Minibrute will be out soon and is a steal as well as within your budget.
www.ctrlshft.com

pedrobigas

Post by pedrobigas » Tue May 01, 2012 2:08 am

I'm a total newbie, it's always good to have a second opinion; and the folks at GS haven't exactly got the feeling of what I'm looking for. Or perhaps my english is a little raw to make it clear :roll:

DSI Tetra seems to be a great synth, but the harass of tweaking it in real time is a big turn down for me. I need knobs.

As a first effect - and it will be the only one for some time at least, which onde would you choose, reverb, delay ou modulations?

It seems that every reverb unit has a bit of delay and the other way around, is that correct?

Can I get reverb AND delay kind of spacial effects in the same single analog pedal like EHX DMM, MXR Carbon Copy, Memory Lane2, JHS Panther, or similar?

In the digital realm, can I achieve the same results using e Ableton Live effect and a pedal (like Space, for example)? Should I go digital or analog?

Sorry, I apologize. I'm totally lost! :lol: All I know is that I like huge, thick and profound/deep analog-like sounds that make me feel I'm in the outer space.

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Tue May 01, 2012 11:50 am

It is very difficult to get to outer space without a delay.

Instant psychedelic vibe!

I have been eyeing up a time factor as tempo sync is something I am looking for. But my favorite tripped out delay is a bit longer than the tempo. So, it needs to be dialed in by ear, clock sync just screws it all up. Long delay time of 1s or more are really helpful to space your face.

muksys

Post by muksys » Tue May 01, 2012 12:20 pm

I have a Strymon El Capistan and it is almost always on. It is, IMHO, the best sounding virtual "Tape Delays" available. It also has a built in "Spring Reverb Tank", so there's your reverb too! :)

pedrobigas

Post by pedrobigas » Tue May 01, 2012 12:41 pm

Thanks a lot for the replies! After you comments, I definitely need an effect, not another synth!

So, I kinda narrowed my choices between Eventide Space and Timefactor, they're f***ing powerful!

Which one do you think is the more trippy, acidic and psychedelic?

See you!

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Tue May 01, 2012 1:43 pm

Hey Pedro, welcome to the forum... o bienvenido, supongo ;)
I'll talk of what I kow only.

I'm a big, big fan of EHX pedals and obviously Deluxe Memory Men are a good choice. In matter of reverb, the Cathedral is cool. It has a delay mode,nothing like an analogue delay though. Plus the predelay+feedback possibilities allow to have echoes of reverb, classy.
Back to delays, the MoogerFrooger 104 is a good candidate too. Another great FX -from what I'v heard so far- is the Boss RE-20 (I'm looking for one...). It has reverb and delay alla Space Echo, which emulates.
No MIDI sync here, just tap tempo for the EHX DMM with tap tempo and RE-20.
Another crazy device you can mess with is the JoMoX T-Resonator. It does have digital delay and reverb.
Your budget will allow you to get 2-3 units amongst the later.

If you choose a synth over an FX box, and if playing digital is not against your religion, you may have a look at the Nord Leads: simple, hands on, fun synths. You can find a Nord Rack 2X at +/- 450 Eur now.
The Doepfer Dark Energy has a lot of fun potential too. You can get 2 of them with your budget.

muksys

Post by muksys » Tue May 01, 2012 2:26 pm

stiiiiiiive wrote:In matter of reverb, the Cathedral is cool. It has a delay mode,nothing like an analogue delay though. Plus the predelay+feedback possibilities allow to have echoes of reverb, classy.
One thing I absolutely love about this pedal is the Feedback/Pre-Delay feature. When set to any reverb, crank the feedback all of the way up to the right and turn the pre-delay all the way to the left. Then, start moving the Pre-Delay. MASSIVE SPACE FX! If you constantly move the pre-delay and use the stereo out while using a super bassy synth drone, it totally sounds like an extremely large spaceship moving by!

pedrobigas

Post by pedrobigas » Tue May 01, 2012 6:47 pm

Thanks for all the advices, guys!

For some reason, all my posts need to by "authorize" by the moderator to appear in the topic, so there is a "delay" from the moment a post to the moment you actually are able to read.

After some youtube video-watching madness, I decided for the Eventide Space. LOTs of diferents reverbs, including a mode called "modEchoReverb" where I can get some delay-like effects!

For it's complexity, I think it'll take a lot of time for me to fully explore this pedal, sufficient time to save money for my next acquisition (a true analog delay, possibly ehheeheh)

See ya

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Tue May 01, 2012 8:05 pm

muksys wrote:One thing I absolutely love about this pedal is the Feedback/Pre-Delay feature. When set to any reverb, crank the feedback all of the way up to the right and turn the pre-delay all the way to the left. Then, start moving the Pre-Delay. MASSIVE SPACE FX! If you constantly move the pre-delay and use the stereo out while using a super bassy synth drone, it totally sounds like an extremely large spaceship moving by!
Will try that particular setting, thanks for haring :)
Last edited by stiiiiiiive on Wed May 02, 2012 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

vasago

Post by vasago » Tue May 01, 2012 9:20 pm

I have a slim phatty i'd sell you for 500. :D leaves you 100 for an effects unit ;)
Voyager Performer FR Revox2 Taurus3 mf;102,103,104zx2,105m,CP251x1 SEM Xpander 808 606 pro1x2 FR XS, FRorbx3 Modfactor timefactor space mopho PolyE Nord g1 Vermona drm mk3 KP3x2

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Wed May 02, 2012 11:00 am

pedrobigas wrote:I decided for the Eventide Space. LOTs of diferents reverbs, including a mode called "modEchoReverb" where I can get some delay-like effects!
Cool! Have fun!!