Phatty poly mode question.

Everything Phatty.
Sir Nose

Re: Phatty poly mode question.

Post by Sir Nose » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:54 pm

Note that the phatty's pitch CV in is not 1v/oct. It is around .97; so, if you are going to use midi to cv you would need to use an attenuator to scale it down. Unless, the converter box has cv scalable per voice. It usually tracks okay over 2 or 3 octaves if you are not too picky without.

If the box is cv to midi, the source keyboard would need pitch and gate cv outs for each voice.

muksys

Post by muksys » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:25 pm

FYI, recently I purchased a Mutable Instruments MIDIpal to use as an arp/sequencer for the Minituar, among other things. After going over the manual, I found a neat little app that could be the answer: "Dispatcher". Described in the manual: "This app routes MIDI note messages from a single channel to several channels. This allows you to play chords on a rack of monophonic synths, for example." The modes are:

Dispatching method:
cyclic (*cyc*). Each new note is cyclically played on the next channel.
polyphonic (*pol*). The mapping of notes to channel uses a true voice stealing algorithm. The MIDIpal tries to reuse the same channel for occurrences of the same note ; or the least recently used channel.
random (*rnd*). Each new note is routed to a random channel.
stacking (*stk*). Each note is sent to all channels at the same time. Perfect for thickening a lead by sending it to several synths, or to several parts of the same multitimbral device.
velocity (*vel*). The louder (higher velocity) the note, the higher the MIDI channel it is sent to.

I set up my Minitaur, Little Phatty, DSI MoKey and Shruthi-1 to the same basic patch (both osc's set to triangle, filter and env wide open). Set up the MIDIpal and viola! Polyphony! Now to build a panel in MIDI Touch on the iPad to tweak specific parameters from one knob!

Kenneth

Post by Kenneth » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:30 am

I'm interested in a Minitaur for the purpose of stacking it with my Phatty and having the ability to play with 4 osc. Would one need the previously mentioned "app" (not sure if we're talking iPad here) to achieve this? Or is it possible to set them up direct via CV or MIDI?
Moog Matriarch, ARP Odyssey MKII, Roland Juno-60, Yamaha DX7, Yamaha VSS-30

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:05 am

For stacking, midi or cv will work just fine by itself.

muksys

Post by muksys » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:42 pm

Kenneth wrote:I'm interested in a Minitaur for the purpose of stacking it with my Phatty and having the ability to play with 4 osc. Would one need the previously mentioned "app" (not sure if we're talking iPad here) to achieve this? Or is it possible to set them up direct via CV or MIDI?
the "app" I was talking about is within a specific piece of hardware from Mutable Instruments called the MIDIpal. The "app's" are things like an ARP, sequencer, LFO, etc. But, to get what you want, it can be done through MIDI. Keep in mind though, that the Minitaur filter and the Phatty filter are different. When adjusted in a scenario like you described, there is noticeable differences between them. So, I found the best solution is to turn off Local Control on the Minitaur and run the output through the Phatty input. And of course, you can only go as high as C4 on the Minitaur.

Kenneth

Post by Kenneth » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:49 am

muksys wrote:
Kenneth wrote:I'm interested in a Minitaur for the purpose of stacking it with my Phatty and having the ability to play with 4 osc. Would one need the previously mentioned "app" (not sure if we're talking iPad here) to achieve this? Or is it possible to set them up direct via CV or MIDI?
the "app" I was talking about is within a specific piece of hardware from Mutable Instruments called the MIDIpal. The "app's" are things like an ARP, sequencer, LFO, etc. But, to get what you want, it can be done through MIDI. Keep in mind though, that the Minitaur filter and the Phatty filter are different. When adjusted in a scenario like you described, there is noticeable differences between them. So, I found the best solution is to turn off Local Control on the Minitaur and run the output through the Phatty input. And of course, you can only go as high as C4 on the Minitaur.
Thanks for the info! I'm now looking at potentially purchasing a slim to go along with my LP, or just saving up and taking the plunge on a Voyager.
Moog Matriarch, ARP Odyssey MKII, Roland Juno-60, Yamaha DX7, Yamaha VSS-30

Playrecords

Post by Playrecords » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:40 am

The answer to the original question is yes non MOOG synths can utilise the moog poly Mode. :)

I had my telemark and SP playing like 2 voice last night.... Sounded best (tightest) when the TM and LPs oscillators (2osc each) where in sync mode.

Cheers.