Little Phatty vs. Slim Phatty

Everything Phatty.
xombiexplox

Re: Little Phatty vs. Slim Phatty

Post by xombiexplox » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:06 pm

Amos wrote:component tolerance means every part is only within some small % of "the same" value, comparing one unit to another.
If you want the two to sound identical, you'll need to dial in one unit by ear to match the other. try small changes to cutoff frequency, osc2 freq, wave shape... the more familiar you are with the sound engine the easier it will be to diagnose what exactly sounds different and what to adjust...
O__O
HELLO AMOS

I feel like I'm talking to a celebrity.

I will give that a go! Thank you very much for the insight! :3
Augment wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but did you manually "copy" the settings from the Slim onto your LP? Or did they both have the same preset already programmed?

If you did it by hand, there are a few things that might be keeping them from sounding the same that aren't always obvious. One would be that the SP's patch might be using a different filter pole setting. Check under the Master / Advanced settings on the Slim and see if the Filter Pole is set to anything less than 4. That makes the biggest difference, as a 3, 2, or 1 pole filter has a much less steep cutoff than the default 4 pole setting.

Another thing would be to check the Mod Source settings; the SP might have a second destination selected that's giving it some character.

While the two instruments might still have a VERY slight difference due to the nature of analog, there really shouldn't be anything making them sound different. Often the answer lies under the hood in the menus; something I learned years ago when I was in the same situation of trying to create a patch and wondering why mine was so 'dull' sounding.

Let me know if any of this was helpful; the LP Stage was my first synth as well, and all the discoveries are still fresh in my mind. Like you, it also made me a bit insane, irrational (I had a Voyager within 3 months), and hermit like which I still haven't recovered from nearly 4 years later!
I never thought to check that! I'm still getting the hang of the knobs on the front, I haven't even thought of screwing around in the Master or Advanced settings! There is so much for this young grasshopper to learn...

:D
Thanks guys!
GEAR: Slingshot, yo-yo, baseball cap, heaphones, gummi wormz

SSquirrel

Post by SSquirrel » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:09 pm

Yeah I kind of have a hard time deciding if I would want the Sweetwater orange or the Novamusik red more. Then there are all the Voyager Selects. The Jade and Violet lighting looks great, but there is a version at Nova that has orange lights and rocker switches. Plus blue is my fave color, so the electric blue LED versions are nice. So many choices

xombiexplox

Post by xombiexplox » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:11 pm

Looks like someone scribbled their name on the back of it there
;D

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:15 pm

xombiexplox wrote:
Looks like someone scribbled their name on the back of it there
;D
Amos did. He put the blue LED's in, and I asked him to sign the back when he was done. Why do you think I have the Amos Gaynes Signature Edition? :wink:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:12 pm

SSquirrel wrote:Yeah I kind of have a hard time deciding if I would want the Sweetwater orange or the Novamusik red more. Then there are all the Voyager Selects. The Jade and Violet lighting looks great, but there is a version at Nova that has orange lights and rocker switches. Plus blue is my fave color, so the electric blue LED versions are nice. So many choices
Jade Mahogany. Nova used to have black and whitewash ones with red or blue LED's and matching switches and jacks. I was partial to the whitewash red ones. :wink: I am still waiting for a bronze backed LP, before I start worrying about what color LP looks better. I've put so much time and money into getting my LP to look like I want it to, I would probably have Amos sign a back panel with the same paint marker he used on my LP, then buy the back panel seperate...but it would have to be a bronze colored panel.
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

gruvsyco

Post by gruvsyco » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:28 pm

xombiexplox wrote:
joe_moog wrote:
Cool - have any pics of it? I got the Nova*Musik edition and it's reddish-orange:

Is yours different?
YES!

QUITE different!

I am in LOVE with the color orange.
I love this... it looks like mine! I'm glad they come with the black endcaps now instead of the grey they have in the pics on their site. (would still love to get some nice wood ones though)

vasago

Post by vasago » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:05 am

Well, like mentioned previously, each unit is different. There will be subtle nuances of each machine that may effect the sound.

That being said, even with a 4 slim phatty chain, sometimes, even with the same patch, I can tell which unit is being played due to this, but only when playing it by itself, doubt you'd really make out the difference in a track.

With all this being said, it should be generally AN AWESOME thing that they be slightly detuned from one another, as it really is a great sound.
Voyager Performer FR Revox2 Taurus3 mf;102,103,104zx2,105m,CP251x1 SEM Xpander 808 606 pro1x2 FR XS, FRorbx3 Modfactor timefactor space mopho PolyE Nord g1 Vermona drm mk3 KP3x2

muksys

Post by muksys » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:58 pm

I've seriously contemplated selling my LPSII and getting the Solar ED. Now that I have seen (a tease really) it with the black ends, yeah, this may happen soon.

xombiexplox

Post by xombiexplox » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:53 pm

muksys wrote:I've seriously contemplated selling my LPSII and getting the Solar ED. Now that I have seen (a tease really) it with the black ends, yeah, this may happen soon.
It is SO sexy, but I think they raised the price by a hundred or maybe I am just going crazy, but I called them and asked why and they said they'd give it to me for less. First time ordering from Sweetwater, effing amazing customer service.

muksys

Post by muksys » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:56 pm

xombiexplox wrote:
muksys wrote:I've seriously contemplated selling my LPSII and getting the Solar ED. Now that I have seen (a tease really) it with the black ends, yeah, this may happen soon.
It is SO sexy, but I think they raised the price by a hundred or maybe I am just going crazy, but I called them and asked why and they said they'd give it to me for less. First time ordering from Sweetwater, effing amazing customer service.
Sweetwater is seriously awesome! What I like about them the most is I have had the exact same sales rep with every order, so I know who I am talking to.