Phat chimes

Everything Phatty.
ncmike1

Phat chimes

Post by ncmike1 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:17 pm

I'm a new LP user, and want to create a chime, as in bells. Is this possible on an LP? Can someone tell me what settings to use?

xombiexplox

Re: Phat chimes

Post by xombiexplox » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:20 pm

I too would be interested in how this is done, but I think it would be wise to experiment on our own first and think about what a single 'chime' sounds like on its own, then perhaps add some delay to it!!!

>:D

I am gonna try to get this sound as soon as I get home today!!!
GEAR: Slingshot, yo-yo, baseball cap, heaphones, gummi wormz

Portamental

Post by Portamental » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:30 pm

The Tribute sound bank has a couple of chimey presets. Pick the one you like, adjust to taste, turn down osc2 (optional), use mod 5 sample & hold, direct to pitch, control with mod wheel and you are pretty much there.

Agostino

Post by Agostino » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:19 pm

For creating something like "Shine on you crazy diamond", I operate this way: :)

There are no VCOs: both are silent.
The filter is auto-oscillating, and it is moved slowly down by the EG, set more or less like this:
Attack: 0, Decay: around 3 o' clock, Sustain: 0, Release: same as Decay.

The Volume EG is to be set like the Filter one (if you want, you can set Volume Decay and Release a little bit longer).

I don't think Keyboard Tracking is useful... You can try to add some overload, but I never tried it.

Set the Cutoff Frequency very low, nearly totally closed, and the EG Intensity as desired.

Modulate the Filter Frequency with a quite fast, square-waved LFO (speed around 12 o' clock, the intensity is to be very strong).

Play a note: you can hold it or just "trigger" it, because of the equal set of Decay and Release

Add some present delay and reverb and... enjoy!! :D

Assar

Post by Assar » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:36 pm

Agostino wrote:I don't think Keyboard Tracking is useful...
It is useful if you want to tune the self oscillating filter resonance tone and make it payable with the keyboard.
Use Keyboard tracking to make the tone spread properly (the right distance between tones, try by playing octaves) and then tune to the right key with Cutoff.
I find that the right position for the Kb track is almost on max.
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Little Phatty TE #1045 | Etherwave Theremin
Stockholm, Sweden - - - Listen at: assar.se

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

vasago

Post by vasago » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:56 am

I am sure you can get some good bell sounds by using the mf102's LFO, or CARRIER OUT with the LP's CV IN. If you have a CP251, and a MF101 you can really get some RESONANCE tweaking going on as well. The thing is, works best with no oscillators, as previously mentioned, and turning the RES up quite a bit. Here is a good link on another forum of a really good discusion regarding this subject. They use a Voyager as the synth instead of the LP, but not necessarily needed, as long as you have some CV in.

http://www.vintagesynth.com/forum/viewt ... =1&t=64357
Voyager Performer FR Revox2 Taurus3 mf;102,103,104zx2,105m,CP251x1 SEM Xpander 808 606 pro1x2 FR XS, FRorbx3 Modfactor timefactor space mopho PolyE Nord g1 Vermona drm mk3 KP3x2