Doubt in pitch stabilize time (LP1 vs. LP2)

Everything Phatty.
hstudio

Doubt in pitch stabilize time (LP1 vs. LP2)

Post by hstudio » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:12 pm

Good morning friends,
I'm buying a moog LP, I have seen several deals between LP1 and LP2 and a friend told me that the time for LP2 warm and stabilize the pitch (2-3 minutes) was lower than in LP1 (15 minutes).
Is that correct? have any other difference between them besides the midi usb port?
The LP1 are cheaper in my country.
Blessings.
HSTUDIO

Voltor07

Re: Doubt in pitch stabilize time (LP1 vs. LP2)

Post by Voltor07 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:12 pm

I don't recall ever waiting more than 5 minutes for my LP Stage 1 to warm up...the Stage 2 has a little better keyboard action, as well as a sticker overlay instead of a silkscreened front panel. Also, Stage 1 has no USB, except for a few that have the Stage 2 upgrade like I have. :wink:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:17 pm

Warm-up times of any analog synthesizer will vary. Even from one unit to the next on same models. But, as Voltor07 has stated, it seldom takes more than 5-10 minutes in the worst cases. And usually, the synth is playable way before then. It just needs to be slightly corrected once or twice after it has warmed-up to operating temperature.

My worst synth, a Korg Mono/Poly, is unplayable for about 1 minute until all oscillators are scaled properly, and after about 5 minutes I need to touch the master tune knob just a little to bring the whole instrument in tune with a reference.

My best synth, surprisingly, is my 37 years old Minimoog D (with an old oscillator board nonetheless). It's completely in tune after only about 10 seconds, and needs only another slight correction of the tune knob after about 1 minute. After that it stays quite stable.

Anyone who plays any analog synth, should have a reference (either an electronic tuner, or another digital keyboard, or even a pitch fork) handy, to make sure the instrument is tuned properly.
I don't know why a very useful A-440 reference, as it is available on the original Minimoog D, isn't included with all modern Moog synths...?
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

hstudio

Post by hstudio » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:30 pm

Thank you all,
So I think as quoted Voltor07 seje then take the best price offered by LP1 in my country, besides the aluminum shows the rear of it.
I understood that the panel with silkscreen of LP1 is better, am I right?
Big hug!

Portamental

Post by Portamental » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:31 pm

Sometimes, money is an issue, but saving a few dollars may turn out more costly. I would jump on the LP2

Portamental

Post by Portamental » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:38 pm

thealien666 wrote:My best synth, surprisingly, is my 37 years old Minimoog D (with an old oscillator board nonetheless). It's completely in tune after only about 10 seconds, and needs only another slight correction of the tune knob after about 1 minute. After that it stays quite stable.
It seems to me you have a Super D. What's the serial (ballpark) on this thing?

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:26 pm

Portamental wrote:
thealien666 wrote:My best synth, surprisingly, is my 37 years old Minimoog D (with an old oscillator board nonetheless). It's completely in tune after only about 10 seconds, and needs only another slight correction of the tune knob after about 1 minute. After that it stays quite stable.
It seems to me you have a Super D. What's the serial (ballpark) on this thing?

But the OSC board had been modified (prior to my purchasing the synth in rather bad shape BTW) to move the TEMPCO resistors from the PCB onto the two CA3046, and glued with epoxy to their casings. That probably helps a lot.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

Portamental

Post by Portamental » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:54 pm

Well it sure sounds good... you got me to listen to two Moroder songs all the way till the end, and replay :roll:

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:06 pm

Portamental wrote:Well it sure sounds good... you got me to listen to two Moroder songs all the way till the end, and replay :roll:
8) :D
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

Portamental

Post by Portamental » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:23 am

Just kidding (I know you know). Moroder is a great artist in his genre, it was no pain at all... pretty much enjoyable actually.

Overdrive777

Post by Overdrive777 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:47 am

Resurrecting an old thread:)

I’m new to the Moog world (as a Bass player the last 30 years)
I bought a Moog Slim Phatty a month ago. It really sounds amazing!!
BUT the only con is that it take about 45 minutes to stabilize in pitch..
Is there anything I can do to make it shorter???
It’s not really fun to come to rehearsal and waiting for 45min before we can start:)

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:44 am

Hi Overdrive77, and welcome to the forum :)

Congrats on your purchase, I've been using a Little Phatty myself for years now, great synth.
I use the Little in a rock band context and it is a tad quicker to stabilize than the Slim, but I've managed to use it right away in rehearsal as well as on stage.

First, turn it on as early as possible.
Then, manual tuning is the way to go, I'm not teaching any magic!
You have to activate that "fine tune" knob to be able to tune the Slim manually; there is a setting for that. The only drawback is that you have to be careful not to touch it by accident during while playing.
Finally, just before starting to play, check the tuning, and do so every now and then during the first 20-60 minutes or whenever you hear anything weird.

Now the real tip.
As an experienced bassist, I'm sure you can hear the lows just fine and accurately. However, ou may feel more confident
using a tuner (tadam). What I do is plugging the tuner in the headphones output and I just switch the main output off (the toggle button is under the volume knob) whenever needed. You can obviously insert the tuner in the main output chain.
Never had any tuning problem live or rehearsing.

Hope this helps!