Mod+Pitch wheel DIY project.

Everything Phatty.
Post Reply
mrblitz
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:49 pm

Mod+Pitch wheel DIY project.

Post by mrblitz » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:38 pm

I have decided to construct a Mod wheel+Pitch wheel box that i can sit alongside my JD-800...to control the pitch and modulation of my Moog SP.

The Roland mod+pitch wheel is the worst ever made.

I have found these two items available from Doepfer.

WE (Wheel Electronic)
http://www.doepfer.de/we.htm

Mod Wheel Set
http://www.doepfer.de/zubeh_e.htm

The following is a direct quote from the Doepfer site...

"Pay attention that not the full rotating angle of the potentiometer is covered but only about 40%. If the end terminals of the potentiometer are e.g. connected to GND and +5V only a voltange range 0...+1.6V is covered ! In addition the two potentiometers work in the opposite direction as one is mounted from the left and the other from right side to the wheel"

Will these voltage ranges work with the SP? If they are not ideal for any reason i can "reduce the voltage range with a trimming potentiometer to 0...+3V or for a still smaller range +2 V with another microcontroller."

Does the voltage range effect the way the SP interprets the signal? Or is it simply a case of combining the two elements above in a suitable housing and choosing a MIDI channel?

Thanks for any answers.

User avatar
thealien666
Posts: 2791
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: Quebec, Canada

Re: Mod+Pitch wheel DIY project.

Post by thealien666 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:06 pm

That Doepfer mod wheel board is actually a CV-to-MIDI adapter and outputs MIDI data to any synth from different potentiometers connected to it. It does not connect to the CV inputs on the Slim Phatty.

It is sending MIDI CC values (range 0-127).

The note is to warn people that would like to use their own potentiometers with the Doepfer WE that they might not get the maximum range of MIDI values if their own pot is connected a certain way, because it's only making about 40% of the full rotation when moving a mod wheel.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

User avatar
xombiexplox
Posts: 93
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:56 pm

Re: Mod+Pitch wheel DIY project.

Post by xombiexplox » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:54 am

mrblitz wrote:I have decided to construct a Mod wheel+Pitch wheel box that i can sit alongside my JD-800...to control the pitch and modulation of my Moog SP.

The Roland mod+pitch wheel is the worst ever made.....



Have you seen this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eObMG56u3c

I'd suggest contacting this guy and asking him a few questions as well. It couldn't hurt, right?
:3
GEAR: Slingshot, yo-yo, baseball cap, heaphones, gummi wormz

User avatar
Assar
Posts: 359
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:48 pm
Location: Sweden, Stockholm
Contact:

Re: Mod+Pitch wheel DIY project.

Post by Assar » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:06 am

I have a large master keyboard without wheels. And I have searched for some external wheel-unit with midi-out, but never found one.

If I build this, am I home then???
:shock:
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Little Phatty TE #1045 | Etherwave Theremin
Stockholm, Sweden - - - Listen at: assar.se

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

User avatar
thealien666
Posts: 2791
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: Quebec, Canada

Re: Mod+Pitch wheel DIY project.

Post by thealien666 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:26 pm

Assar wrote:I have a large master keyboard without wheels. And I have searched for some external wheel-unit with midi-out, but never found one.

If I build this, am I home then???
:shock:



Yes, I think the Doepfer WE should replace nicely your missing mod wheels.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

mrblitz
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:49 pm

Re: Mod+Pitch wheel DIY project.

Post by mrblitz » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:44 pm

thealien666 wrote:That Doepfer mod wheel board is actually a CV-to-MIDI adapter and outputs MIDI data to any synth from different potentiometers connected to it. It does not connect to the CV inputs on the Slim Phatty.

It is sending MIDI CC values (range 0-127).

The note is to warn people that would like to use their own potentiometers with the Doepfer WE that they might not get the maximum range of MIDI values if their own pot is connected a certain way, because it's only making about 40% of the full rotation when moving a mod wheel.


Not sure what you are saying here pal.

I don't want to connect anything to the CV inputs on the SP.

I want to connect a mod wheel and pitch wheel via MIDI to my setup.

Will the doepfer mod wheel setup give me a full range of bend and mod?

is the range editable in the SP software?

Will altering the output voltage make a difference to the pitch+mod range?

Ta.

User avatar
thealien666
Posts: 2791
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: Quebec, Canada

Re: Mod+Pitch wheel DIY project.

Post by thealien666 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:28 pm

According to the Doepfer page for this product, you will get the full range (0-127 MIDI CC values) by applying 0 to +5 volts (max). There is a trimpot onboard to adjust that voltage.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

Post Reply