Moog Little Phatty: next firmware upgrade suggestion

Everything Phatty.
spacefolklore

Moog Little Phatty: next firmware upgrade suggestion

Post by spacefolklore » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:54 pm

I love playing my Moog LP and I really like the upgrades in the latest firmware. It's a very mature synth that seems almost complete. The only improvement that comes to my mind is to implement a Manual Mode in which the synth would remember all knobs positions after reboot instead of going into preset mode.

I often create a sound that is very quick to dial in and there's no need to waste a preset slot/bother with saving the patch. It would be nice to have the sound I last played with immediately after turning the synth on. Actually, I'd stop using presets altogether if there was the Manual Mode.

Do you think it'd be a nice addition?

CTRLSHFT

Re: Moog Little Phatty: next firmware upgrade suggestion

Post by CTRLSHFT » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:58 am

patch randomizer would be cool.
www.ctrlshft.com

Benjamin AM

Post by Benjamin AM » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:00 pm

Also there needs to be an option for the arpeggiator and LFO to sync from the synths internal clock. Couldn't the Phatty use its own output clock as the source of rate subdivisions?
Little Phatty Stage II, Rogue, Cp-251, Soldering Iron

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:08 pm

Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:13 am

I would like to be able to set OSC 2 to a constant frequency; while OSC 1 tracks the keyboard. Maybe something like: press and hold the OSC 2 Freq button till blinking, press a key to select the freq for OSC2, then press the OSC 2 button to lock the selected freq. Repeat without a key press in the middle to return to normal function.

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:20 am

Hate to predict this but I really don't think there is going to be much of the way of new features/function to code.

a) not much space left. IIRC, Amos was challenged to squeeze some of the newer features in. Not sure if the Slim has more NVRAM or operating memory, but I'm sure there is a desire to keep one code base across all four platforms: upgraded Tribute, Stage I, Stage II, Slim.

b) these guys are busy. With some new products (and a few in the pipeline, there is significant media focus; now more than ever. Moog cannot afford to drop the ball either with a poorly executed product launch, or with a code release of an existing product that is not 100% solid.

Be happy with your Phatty; In its current form, its an entirely different instrument that when the Tribute (with 1.03 code) was first released.

But I would lobby for two versions of code. One with alternate scale functionality (as exists today) and 2nd version that sheds the alternate tuning for a step sequencer. Have a look 1/2 way down this page http://www.moogmusic.com/forum/viewtopi ... cer#p57606 for the Step Sequencer idea that CTRLSHFT came up with.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!