vocals through LP

Everything Phatty.
Voltor07

Re: vocals through LP

Post by Voltor07 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:51 pm

dan thacker wrote:It's so hard to get away from "made in China",I was bummed when I read about some LP parts made there,I guess I was naive to think otherwise.It seems to taint a legacy or something.
I'd be willing to bet a lot of Moog parts are made in China. Capacitors, resistors, that sort of thing. Very few components are made in America anymore, and you will pay a huge premium for such parts.
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:26 pm

Yep, it's sad to see all those jobs going overseas. But who could live on a bowl of rice per day here?

I don't know about the LP/SP, but on the Voyagers I know Moog uses high quality Alpha pots made in U.S.A.
Although some other internal components are made in Japan mostly. To my knowledge, the only internal parts made in China are the wire connectors and tie-wraps... :wink:
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

Mr Shave

Post by Mr Shave » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:04 pm

Not really related to music perse, nor does it have anything to do with the subject of this post, but this article came out just yesterday about the electronic industry in terms of manufacturing in America vs Asia... It was a good read.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/22/busin ... wanted=all

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:52 pm

dan thacker wrote:It's so hard to get away from "made in China",I was bummed when I read about some LP parts made there,I guess I was naive to think otherwise.It seems to taint a legacy or something.
The boards inside were designed in USA, but are produced and assembled in China from Chinese and Japanese made components. The instrument itself is later assembled, calibrated, tested, back in Asheville USA.
That's the only way to get an affordable genuine Moog instrument such as the LP. Who could live on a bowl of rice a day here in North America ? If the Apple iPad was produced in USA, it would probably cost $2000 instead of $500. Suicide rates are also high in Chinese factories...but that's another story.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

Assar

Post by Assar » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:43 am

thealien666 wrote:Yep, it's sad to see all those jobs going overseas.
What do you mean?
USA is overseas, China is not ...
:wink:
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Little Phatty TE #1045 | Etherwave Theremin
Stockholm, Sweden - - - Listen at: assar.se

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

dan thacker

Post by dan thacker » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:30 am

I think it's funny when a product claims"conceived in Germany,made in China."

Christopher Winkels

Post by Christopher Winkels » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:56 am

The "Schlong & Capade" near me (in Burlington, ON) is actually really good. The employees actually seem to know what they're talking about, and they don't appear to have huge staff turnover.

I can't say the same for all of them though. There's a lot of variability from location to location.

dan thacker

Post by dan thacker » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:07 am

After reading Mr.Shave's upload,I understand why things are made in China,where else can you find thousands of workers living in factory dorms,working twelve hour shifts @$17.00 a day! Sounds like an Orwellian ,dystopian nightmare.Thanks for the info,it was very enlightening.Not to mention disturbing.

dan thacker

Post by dan thacker » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:14 am

The schlong & capade where I go is staffed with nice people,but they just don't know much.When I went to buy cables,[xlr female to quarter inch male mono],the guy said they didn't have any.Well they did,and it was easy to find.Oh well,they are "nice".

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:32 pm

dan thacker wrote:The schlong & capade where I go is staffed with nice people,but they just don't know much.When I went to buy cables,[xlr female to quarter inch male mono],the guy said they didn't have any.Well they did,and it was easy to find.Oh well,they are "nice".
The Radio Shack of music stores? Sure sounds like it... :o
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:18 pm

dan thacker wrote:The schlong & capade where I go is staffed with nice people,but they just don't know much.When I went to buy cables,[xlr female to quarter inch male mono],the guy said they didn't have any.Well they did,and it was easy to find.Oh well,they are "nice".

Probably ex-McDonalds employees who were looking for a better job... I've always admired the friendly service and smiles at any McDonalds restaurants. Especially considering their wages. :roll:
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion