vocals through LP

Everything Phatty.
dan thacker

vocals through LP

Post by dan thacker » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:19 pm

Sorry if this has already been addressed,but is it possible to run vocals through LP? It seems that just connecting a microphone to audio in wouldn't work,am I wrong?

Sir Nose

Re: vocals through LP

Post by Sir Nose » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:29 pm

You would need a preamp. Stand alone or an individual out from a mixer.

ricknboogie

Post by ricknboogie » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:41 pm

Correct, and even then, you'd only be able to process the vocals through the Patty's filter and envelopes, not the VCO's.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:16 pm

Sir Nose wrote:You would need a preamp. Stand alone or an individual out from a mixer.

Either that, or you could yell really loudly in the mic... :twisted: :mrgreen:
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:49 pm

thealien666 wrote:
Sir Nose wrote:You would need a preamp. Stand alone or an individual out from a mixer.

Either that, or you could yell really loudly in the mic... :twisted: :mrgreen:
I have done this using an Audio Technica mic. The results were hilarious! Maybe I should make a video? :lol:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

dan thacker

Post by dan thacker » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:20 pm

Thank you all, looks like it's back to the music store.
Incidentally,said store is an "official Moog dealer",yet displays no such wares.Of course,I'm bias and maybe it's not such a strange practice.
Oh yeah,I'd like to see that video mentioned!

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:27 pm

dan thacker wrote:Oh yeah,I'd like to see that video mentioned!
Ok. I will post it up here next time I make a video. I've been holding out on making videos for too long. Break time's over. :lol:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:26 am

dan thacker wrote:Thank you all, looks like it's back to the music store.
Incidentally,said store is an "official Moog dealer",yet displays no such wares.Of course,I'm bias and maybe it's not such a strange practice.
Oh yeah,I'd like to see that video mentioned!
Is it the store I'm thinking of ?
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

dan thacker

Post by dan thacker » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:22 pm

Al,the store sounds like "schlong & capade",
I just can't say the name,I'm too much of a wimp,but I'm sure you know who I'm talking about.I wish cowtown had better instrument type joints.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:53 pm

dan thacker wrote:Al,the store sounds like "schlong & capade",
I just can't say the name,I'm too much of a wimp,but I'm sure you know who I'm talking about.I wish cowtown had better instrument type joints.

Hahahaha! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Schlong & Capade ! That's really funny! It sounds more like a sex shop than a music store! :mrgreen: Of course you probably meant Long & McQuade, right ?
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

dan thacker

Post by dan thacker » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:35 pm

Correct! I couldn't help but think"if this was my store,there would be Moogs for all to see."
They are just so beautiful on top of everything else.
I noticed Moog audio had an Old School for $1900.00 a while ago.That's only $300.00 more than my LP [with cv mod],damn!

I've read that discrete circuitry [like inside MiniMoog],is more linear than IC.It sure looks a hell of alot better!

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:51 pm

dan thacker wrote:/snip/
I've read that discrete circuitry [like inside MiniMoog],is more linear than IC.It sure looks a hell of alot better!
It's also a pain to match those discrete transistors. Individual transistors in a chip rarely (if ever) fail. Usually a whole chip will fail. When one transistor in a chain fails, now you have to find a transistor that matches the others, assuming those haven't changed their values. :shock:

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:15 pm

dan thacker wrote:Correct! I couldn't help but think"if this was my store,there would be Moogs for all to see."
They are just so beautiful on top of everything else.
I noticed Moog audio had an Old School for $1900.00 a while ago.That's only $300.00 more than my LP [with cv mod],damn!

That Old School is their store demo. It's the last one they have in stock.

But as for discrete transistors vs IC, that's complete bull in my humble opinion. It might have been true in the 70's but not anymore. Especially not with today's fab foundries.
Electrons are microscopic energy particles. They don't care if they go thru a big transistor of a microscopic one. We're not talking high amperage here folks! As long as the chip has the same electrical characteristics in its transistors as their discrete counterparts, the results will be absolutely identical. It's much more a question of different circuit design on the part of the engineer than what it's being used to implement those circuits.

Of course component tolerances will play a role too. The fact that a Minimoog D sounds better than anything else is purely a question of circuit design, with flaws playing a major role. Even Bob Moog himself has stated that the early version of the oscillator board (all discrete components) was a partial failure. And people that say that this board sounds better than later ones is rubbish. That's why as soon as they could, they came out with an improved version with a few ICs. And then a third and final one using even more ICs. The Voyager (and Old SChool) uses 98 % ICs and only a few transistors on its analog board.

The fact that the LP/SP don't sound quite like a Voyager, is simply a question of circuit design and cost reductions. Both use mostly the same op-amps and CA3046, but in a different configuration. There's a reason for their relatively low price, and it's not all because their made in China.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

dan thacker

Post by dan thacker » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:18 pm

That's interesting,I do remember an interview with Dr. Bob and he said the later Mini's were better.I hope one day to have a knob per function unit.Sorry.I'm babbling.

dan thacker

Post by dan thacker » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:39 pm

It's so hard to get away from "made in China",I was bummed when I read about some LP parts made there,I guess I was naive to think otherwise.It seems to taint a legacy or something.