Scared to buy a Slim Phatty-ease my fears

Everything Phatty.
keyboard1

Scared to buy a Slim Phatty-ease my fears

Post by keyboard1 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:31 pm

Hey guys- I want a Slim Phatty really bad- it appears to be everything I want(I did wish it had analog pots instead of rotary encoders) but anyway,
I've heard of a lot of problems with hanging notes when using different midi controllers.
I want to be able to use it live with a Roland controller keyboard.

Is it pretty safe to use? I've heard a lot of chatter about hanging notes and so I'm hesitant to purchase.

Has the latest OS fixed the problem people were having with notes hanging?

thx

zerocrossing

Re: Scared to buy a Slim Phatty-ease my fears

Post by zerocrossing » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:21 pm

I can't speak for everyone, but I've never had a single stuck note with my SP, but I just got it this Christmas. She seems rock solid as far as I can tell. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:15 pm

zerocrossing wrote:I can't speak for everyone, but I've never had a single stuck note with my SP, but I just got it this Christmas. She seems rock solid as far as I can tell. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.
Have you ever tried to play chords on a MIDI keyboard controller into it ? (I know the SP is monophonic, but it has problems buffering "note off" messages sometimes when receiving chords and leaves notes hanging forever)
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

kc6flg

Post by kc6flg » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:55 pm

Just stand at the door and jump. Don't ask questions. Just buy one and then two, three, four, and Five.

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:04 am

keyboard1 wrote:Hey guys- I want a Slim Phatty really bad- it appears to be everything I want(I did wish it had analog pots instead of rotary encoders) but anyway,
I've heard of a lot of problems with hanging notes when using different midi controllers.

Is it pretty safe to use? I've heard a lot of chatter about hanging notes and so I'm hesitant to purchase.

thx
I'd say 80% of the posts I've seen (here and in places like GS) regarding that issue is user error with midi feedback. sending SP's midi out to it's own midi in is not good (nor should it be).

I haven't gotten any hung notes ever with my SP and I use it on everything.
www.ctrlshft.com

Christopher Winkels

Post by Christopher Winkels » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:41 am

keyboard1 wrote:Hey guys- I want a Slim Phatty really bad- it appears to be everything I want(I did wish it had analog pots instead of rotary encoders)
From the SP manual:

The SP’s editing controls are actually analog potentiometers

They are not endlessly spinning, noticeably stepped, or exhibiting any of the other drawbacks we typically associate with encoders.

xombiexplox

Post by xombiexplox » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:19 pm

keyboard1 wrote:Hey guys- I want a Slim Phatty really bad- it appears to be everything I want(I did wish it had analog pots instead of rotary encoders) but anyway,

thx
I have had nothing but good times with my Slim Phatty! And quick warmup times too!
:3

GO FOR IT
GEAR: Slingshot, yo-yo, baseball cap, heaphones, gummi wormz

namahshaman

Post by namahshaman » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:13 pm

I agree with CNTRLSHFT, almost everything I've seen about people having problems with stuck notes ended up being user-error. I've had my Slim for well over a year, and the only problems that I've encountered were inevitably a result of my own ignorance, never the machine itself. I've used Ableton Live, Korg Electribe, Novation SL MKII, and a Nord Lead 2x to control it, never any problems.

Being someone who started with cheap VA synths like the microkorg, before discovering the divine angelic nuances of analog gear, I think the majority of problems faced by analog-noobs are a result of learning many of the basics on a VA. It is a different world, no doubt, but a world well-worth exploring. :mrgreen: In other words, damn the nay-sayers, the Phatty is the perfect place to enter the analog universe, buy one. Besides, if you get it from a mega-store like guitar center, sam ash, etc. most of them give you something like 30 days to return an item for a full refund, so what have you got to lose? :wink:

vasago

Post by vasago » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:36 pm

I feel as if the real issue is why havent you bought one yet? lol

But in all seriousness, the Slim is one of the best rack format module synths you can get.
Voyager Performer FR Revox2 Taurus3 mf;102,103,104zx2,105m,CP251x1 SEM Xpander 808 606 pro1x2 FR XS, FRorbx3 Modfactor timefactor space mopho PolyE Nord g1 Vermona drm mk3 KP3x2