warm up?

Everything Phatty.
namahshaman

warm up?

Post by namahshaman » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:08 pm

I've seen on here that the Phatty may take up to an hour to warm up and get in tune, is this normal (this may be a silly question, but this is my first true analog synth)? If so, how do people prepare for live performances? Not every venue will allow you to set up and take power for an hour before you go on. I realize that there must be a solution because I see people using moogs in live settings quite frequently. Is the other alternative to tune it manually for, and during, every show?

ricknboogie

Re: warm up?

Post by ricknboogie » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:38 pm

The OSC's in the Phatty are quite stable, and mine at least, is good to go after a very short time, less than a minute.

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:42 pm

Mine take a good 20 mins, but I'm picky
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

muksys

Post by muksys » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:48 pm

I originally purchased a Slim Phatty. After a week, I decided to take it back and up it to a Little Phatty. I figured the cost of a good midi keyboard would bring the overall cost pretty close to the LP anyway. I noticed that on the SP, I had to turn the unit on and let it sit for about an hour or so before the oscillators were in tune. I also had issues right out of the box. The SP was waaaay out of tune. I ran the calibration, which fixed the issue. Since owning the LP, I've noticed a huge difference. It only takes about 10-15 minutes to warm up and I had no issues with the overall tuning out of the box (other than it needed to be tweaked a couple of cents, which I have read is normal). It could just have been that the SP I had was defective (although I have read that others have the same issue) but between the SP and the LP, it seems the LP is by far a more finely tuned machine.

Also, if you do get an SP and it takes a long time to stabilize, keep it with you at a gig and plug it in in the green room. Be sure that when it is time to go on, you only have it unplugged for no more than 10 minutes, because that is a long enough time for it to cool back down. And having a tuning pedal connected to the headphone out probably wouldn't be a bad idea either (since the main out has an on/off switch while the headphone out is always hot).

Josef_K

Post by Josef_K » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:50 am

My little phatty TE takes quite a long time to warm up, and it never really gets 100% stable (if you play the highest note and the lowest note, they will both never be fully in tune). But after about 20 minutes I'm kind of ready to use it, I invested some money in a tune pedal with true bypass as well that I will probably use between songs to tweak the fine tune. Then again, I've played on gigs where we only had like 20 minutes of time to play... then I wouldn't bring my Phatty at all ^^.
My Gear:
Nord Electro 2
Little Phatty Tribute Edition
Korg Monotron
Epiphone G400
Moogerfooger 12 Stage Phaser
EHX Memorytoy analog delay
Boss SD-1 Overdrive

avj

Post by avj » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:29 am

Does no one use the Auto tuning mode? It's an absolute dream.

I have an LP Stage and have used it in hot, cold, humid, arid, and have never had a problem with tuning. The only minor issue is the slight delay on first note press after the fifteen seconds of idle (or whatever it is) when it goes into Auto tune mode, but I remedy that by quickly tapping the first note of a run a few seconds before I start playing. If it's something that starts from total silence, I do the same thing but with the volume down, then restore the volume.

From what I've seen on the forum here the Slim seems to have a bit more of an issue with stability, but that's likely related to the smaller enclosure size. I would imagine those tuning issues would also be mitigated by the Auto tuning mode.

muksys

Post by muksys » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:44 pm

I haven't tried the auto tune on the LP yet, but when I used it on the SP, it didnt seem to do a thing positive. I really don't have any tuning issues with the LP, but maybe I'll give it a shot.

namahshaman

Post by namahshaman » Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:00 pm

I've used the auto tuning, and it still takes awhile to get just right (I'm running it through a tuner pedal). It always seems to be about a half step off (C# instead of D) for quite some time after it's powered on. Honestly, I probably would have never noticed, but my guitarist has a keen ear and started pointing it out, so I ran it through a tuner. I do have the pitch CV hooked up to a Doepfer R2M, and I thought it may be causing the problem, but it still happens even if I unplug it and restart it. Thanks, everyone, for your help so far.

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:03 pm

Autotune should not be used when using the pitch CV in.

namahshaman

Post by namahshaman » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:15 am

Ah ha, good to know, Sir Nose. Thanks. In case you can't tell, I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to analog and CV . . . but I'm really enjoying it so far.

Sore_Knee

Post by Sore_Knee » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:21 pm

I always do a few star jumps and have a bit of a stretch before playing.