Worth it to go Duophonic?

Everything Phatty.
scdreger

Worth it to go Duophonic?

Post by scdreger » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:27 pm

I am a new owner, and despite my trouble with the VST editor, I love the sound and design of the synth so much that I am already tempted to get another and go Duophonic. My question is this: is it worth the money to get a second phatty for duophony? Or is it only worth it with 3 or more? I am especially interested to hear from people who have a Duophonic phatty setup, but certainly would entertain all opinions! :D
Slim Phatty | Animoog | Doepfer Dark Energy | Novation Ultranova | Plenty of software

Sir Nose

Re: Worth it to go Duophonic?

Post by Sir Nose » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:58 pm

If I had two Phatties, duophony would be neat, but just a bonus. I think I'd use them to make two different monophonic sounds at the same time or stereo image the same sound with the modulation slightly offset between the channels or a 4 OSC beast.

Lots of uses for 2 phatties.
Last edited by Sir Nose on Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

narrowcaster

Post by narrowcaster » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:11 pm

I don't have a duophonic Phatty setup but I do have one with Mophos (module + keyboard). "Worth it" is always subjective, and going duophonic with Mophos is a little cheaper than it would be with Phattys, but I'm finding it even more useful than I thought it would be. It doesn't get anywhere near real pad territory even with all the Mopho modulation options, but it's still very nice for texture to be able to grab an extra note. Also, when soloing (if you play that way) it can be really nice to play dyads every now and then for harmonic implications or, again, texture variation. One thing I wasn't expecting but I like especially: even when playing monophonic melodies if the decay is long then the decays of subsequent notes will overlap which gives a nice thickness to the sound almost like a guitar or piano with light damper. And some patches which sound a bit uninspiring monophonic can really come alive when you add even just one extra voice. So I'd say that it's not exactly a no-brainer, but it certainly opens things up nicely. It's been inspirational enough that I'm even considering getting an SP to go with my LP so I'll have duophonic Phattys as well as duophonic Mophos, although I might not actually do it...

EricK

Post by EricK » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:15 pm

It might very well be. Having two voices sure is nice...having three is nice, but being able to play them all with one hand is nicer.

I can't sync the Voyager and Taurus like they SHOULD BE ABLE TO which is what I wanted to achieve with them.

It is a very nice thing, but it seems to me that it would be nicest when you can do at least triads as opposed to second intervals only.

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

museslave

Post by museslave » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:47 pm

You know, if you multitrack audio, you could create an entire band from a single Phatty. And that'd be largely for free.
www.youtube.com/user/automaticgainsay
www.myspace.com/automaticgainsay2
www.myspace.com/godfreyscordialmusic

davydka

Post by davydka » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:50 am

I gotta agree with narrowcaster, two notes sounds much fuller than one. I simply use a voyager with an oberheim SEM. Voyager low not priority, SEM high note. Sounds fantastic. It's a unison sound when one note is played, and then spits up as I play a second note. Works great, very intuitive, and a simple midi implementation. Worth it.

scdreger

Post by scdreger » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:53 am

Thanks for the insights folks. It certainly gives me something to think about. There is a LP Stage II on my local Craigslist for a pretty good price. It is looking pretty darn tempting! Adding that to my SP would give me two voices, and as time goes on and $ permits, I could add another SP for #3...

The problem then becomes how to set them all up in my limited space, lol.
Slim Phatty | Animoog | Doepfer Dark Energy | Novation Ultranova | Plenty of software

joe_moog

Post by joe_moog » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:02 pm

scdreger wrote:The problem then becomes how to set them all up in my limited space, lol.
Like this:

:wink:

I have a quad setup and I love it! ...although I'll be pissed when the day comes that there's an 8-voice LP with 3 OSCs.
Sub 37 • Voyager Select Whitewash/Lunar White • VX-351 • Little Phatty Stage II w/CV out • Slim Phatty (x3)
MF-101 • MF-102 • MF-104SD • MF-103 • CP-251 • MF-108M • MF-105M
Moog Pocket Protector

point.source

Post by point.source » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:43 pm

That's a great setup you've got there! Man... i so envy you right now lol.

I'm waiting for a SEM too!! Can't wait to try it with my SP

scdreger

Post by scdreger » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:26 pm

Wow! I would love to noodle with a 4 phatty setup. It must be nice!! Also love the Moogerfoogers with that CV out option. Have any videos demonstrating the possibilities?

joe_moog

Post by joe_moog » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:11 am

scdreger wrote:Wow! I would love to noodle with a 4 phatty setup. It must be nice!! Also love the Moogerfoogers with that CV out option. Have any videos demonstrating the possibilities?
I wish -- everything's mothballed right now while I move, unfortunately. I love the setup; I can only imagine what it would sound like in the hands of someone who's skilled at keys. I'm a guitar guy in real life...

One thing that's frustrating is that the CV out only works on whichever voice is coming from the Little Phatty. I wish there was a way to set it to be 'global' so that it sent its CV signals no matter which voice was triggered by the keyboard.
Sub 37 • Voyager Select Whitewash/Lunar White • VX-351 • Little Phatty Stage II w/CV out • Slim Phatty (x3)
Moog Pocket Protector

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:08 am

i played around with a 2 voice little/slim setup at sam ash a while back. it was quite amazing! not just for duophonic playing but for multitimberal as well. set up and bass drone on the first phatty and stacto arpeggiator on the other :shock: or playing duophonic and having two different patches setup you can do a "call and response" type thing with yourself. lots of fun to be had with multiple phatties
My modular so far: Q104, Q106 x2, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, Mixer and Mankato playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M x2 ( STEREO!) Volca Beats and Bass, Arturia Beat step

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:09 am

joe_moog wrote:
scdreger wrote:Wow! I would love to noodle with a 4 phatty setup. It must be nice!! Also love the Moogerfoogers with that CV out option. Have any videos demonstrating the possibilities?
I wish -- everything's mothballed right now while I move, unfortunately. I love the setup; I can only imagine what it would sound like in the hands of someone who's skilled at keys. I'm a guitar guy in real life...

One thing that's frustrating is that the CV out only works on whichever voice is coming from the Little Phatty. I wish there was a way to set it to be 'global' so that it sent its CV signals no matter which voice was triggered by the keyboard.
Or even better, CV out on the slims.

joe_moog

Post by joe_moog » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:01 am

Sir Nose wrote:Or even better, CV out on the slims.
+1,000,000
Moog Pocket Protector

FlametopFred

Post by FlametopFred » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:11 pm

Worth getting 1 more Slim Phatty to go duophonic.
Worth getting 2 more Slim Phatty to go triphonic or add one each to various MIDI keyboards, bass pedals
Worth getting 8 more Slim Phattys to go hog wild and make the ultimate Moog Constellation / MemoryMoog.

I plan to just keep buying as many as I can per year

If you were a model train enthusiast, you would save up and buy a cool model train car per year until you had this amazing layout and trainset. If you're into Moogs, you owe it to yourself to buy a cool Slim Phatty per year until you have this amazing layout and Moogset. Maybe you will find something under the Christmas Tree