Screen Hate

Everything Phatty.
Kenneth

Screen Hate

Post by Kenneth » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:13 pm

I really like how Moog makes new features available through software updates, but I realized that the more features made available through updates, the more we have to scroll through that LCD menu, which is something I'd rather never do. Honestly I'd rather just play the Phatty the way it was released than have to scroll through a menu to access brilliant new features. I love the Little Phatty, but I think I'd like to see it without the screen. How does everyone else feel about that?
Moog Matriarch, ARP Odyssey MKII, Roland Juno-60, Yamaha DX7, Yamaha VSS-30

Assar

Re: Screen Hate

Post by Assar » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:20 pm

Totally agree. I really like the features but hate using the display.
Maybe it is possible to use some kind of external midi controller instead for the 'hidden' functions? Haven't tried that ...
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Little Phatty TE #1045 | Etherwave Theremin
Stockholm, Sweden - - - Listen at: assar.se

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:54 pm

I use a bcf2000 MIDI controller to access all the menu diving. Toughest part is memorizing what is where. Also very helpful for direct access to front panel controls that cycle with each button push, lfo source in particular. Each source is now it's own button. Cheap too.

There are others that are similar. All menu controls can be changed with MIDI cc messages.

Barely

Post by Barely » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:31 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBVJoWD72lk

But that's an even bigger screen :mrgreen:

diddi_jo

Post by diddi_jo » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:41 am

A Voyager Old School (and heeps of vintage) without any screens. And nice they are.
It's just kind of nice to suddenly have note sync on LFO, like you always wanted, etc...
Voyager OS, Prophet 08, Rhodes MkI 73, NordLead2 and more...

earsmack

Post by earsmack » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:59 am

I hear what you're saying - and for what it's worth I would be first in line to buy an LP OS - Little Phatty Old School :-)
Minimoog Voyager Performer Edition + LP Stage II + Sub37 + Model D reissue + CP-251 + VX-351

dan thacker

Post by dan thacker » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:40 pm

I think it takes the fun out of playing.Also,I kind of worry about becoming a lazy,unimaginative player.

dan thacker

Post by dan thacker » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:50 am

I liked your l.p. old school idea so much,I suggested it to moog when I registered a new piece.

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:34 am

Indeed a really good idea however there is little in the way of savings for Moog if they were to make an OS Phatty.

The Voyager OS, as you likely know is the same analog board hard wired to pots and stripped of midi, touchpad, display, etc. also short the CPU board and other cost components.

Most important difference is the fact that Phatty is a single (two part) board and many many functions depend on CPU so you can strip Phatty of the small display and sub assembly and rotary encoder and simply do not support presets or menus, then add code that writes the current (only) control settings (patch) to memory upon power down and load it upon restart to save a bit.

If Midi were to be supported (since it really is just a $5 sub assembly leveraging the UART capability of the main board), an interface-less method of changing in/out channel can be coded by holding keys while powering up in the same way that Legato/re-Trigger is selectable on the VOS might work...

... but the cost of new sheet metal, documentation creation, code development, slightly different assembly line procedure, undoubtably support for more CV ins and outs that folks will call for may negate any possible savings for Moog and ultimately the buyer.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!