moog and mfb?

Everything Phatty.
barkingdog

moog and mfb?

Post by barkingdog » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:37 am

hi there, does anybody know if the LP is CV-compatible with the mfb-gear? i plan to buy a microzwerg to cv-modulate my LP.

http://www.mfberlin.de/Produkte/Musikel ... zwerg.html

any experiences? :D thanks
david

banyek

Re: moog and mfb?

Post by banyek » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:09 pm

i was suggested a module from Doepfer which solves all problems of this kind though: http://www.doepfer.de/a1832.htm
it is a simple module that attenuates/offsets the frequency (adds or takes away from it) - but as far as i remember, the same issue could be solved with a CP-251 too, though the Doepfer module is the cheapest solution.

mfb machines are so cool! wish they were larger! :D
moog slim phatty, carbon copy mxr, electribe es-1, vermona drm-1, Doepfer A-125, A-106-5, A-143-9, MFOS 16-step sequencer, zoom h2

Benjamin AM

Post by Benjamin AM » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:21 pm

banyek wrote:the same issue could be solved with a CP-251 too, though the Doepfer module is the cheapest solution.
Definitely cheaper if you have a bipolar power supply sitting around.
Little Phatty Stage II, Rogue, Cp-251, Soldering Iron

cliffman

Post by cliffman » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:25 pm

It should be good, but ymmv - I used an MFB Step64 for awhile, the CV side was fine, but the Gate required using the CP-251 to offset the voltage, just a little.
I never tried fixed them both to a common ground, which also might have helped. I use a kraftzwerg still, and it interfaces fine.

poladark

Post by poladark » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:40 pm

barkingdog wrote:hi there, does anybody know if the LP is CV-compatible with the mfb-gear?
Simple answer: No.

The LP inputs won't be CV or gate-compatible with MFB gear (or most other analogue synthesizer gear) out of the box. My MFB SEQ-02 didn't track especially well and the gate wouldn't trigger the LP. The gate was a problem with my Doepfer ribbon controller as well.

You can buy equipment that may (or may not) fix this problem, as suggested above.

(It would be better if Moog actually mentioned that you can't use the CV and gate inputs reliably in the manual, rather than putting a lid on it and having customers notice only after they buy CV/Gate equipment like i did.)

cliffman

Post by cliffman » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:51 pm

poladark wrote:
barkingdog wrote:hi there, does anybody know if the LP is CV-compatible with the mfb-gear?
Simple answer: No.

The LP inputs won't be CV or gate-compatible with MFB gear (or most other analogue synthesizer gear) out of the box. My MFB SEQ-02 didn't track especially well and the gate wouldn't trigger the LP. The gate was a problem with my Doepfer ribbon controller as well.

You can buy equipment that may (or may not) fix this problem, as suggested above.

(It would be better if Moog actually mentioned that you can't use the CV and gate inputs reliably in the manual, rather than putting a lid on it and having customers notice only after they buy CV/Gate equipment like i did.)
Well, that has not been my experience at all, the CV inputs on my LP fine, haven't had any real issues. However, the MFB had issues with gate level everywhere i used it.
In all cases (LP, Dark Energy or A-100) the MFB's gate needed a little offset
to work. But the MFB pitch CV was fine, equally good on all synths.
In my case, the LP CV ins have worked great with my Kenton Pro-2K, no tweaks needed. I think this is an MFB issue w/ the step64 gate, not a Moog problem.

poladark

Post by poladark » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:10 pm

cliffman wrote:Well, that has not been my experience at all, the CV inputs on my LP fine, haven't had any real issues. However, the MFB had issues with gate level everywhere i used it.
Glad to hear that it's working well for you.

I had the same gate problem using the LP with my Doepfer A-198 module as with my MFB SEQ-02 module. No problem using either of those modules with any of my other eurorack modules from assorted manufacturers.

If you're looking at spending hundreds of dollars I think it's important to know that the LP might not work with your equipment. It seems that Moog will not guarantee that it will track CV with 1v/Octave for instance either, so if you have a unit that won't track correctly over more than about one and a half octaves like mine, you're fresh out of luck.
cliffman wrote:I think this is an MFB issue w/ the step64 gate, not a Moog problem.
I think this is very much a Moog problem. If i bought a eurorack module that behaved like this, I'd pop the module out and adjust the calibration pots... but the LP manual doesn't mention how to do this either...

phono1337

Post by phono1337 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:04 am

The problem is with the phatty, it's not 1v per octave like mfb or eurorack.