Little Phatty Editor costs Money. Seriously?

Everything Phatty.
Birdie

Little Phatty Editor costs Money. Seriously?

Post by Birdie » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:28 am

I'm either blind that I can't find a free version of the LP Editor or you are just not giving one for free.
I've paid 1170 euros to buy a Little Phatty Stage II and you're telling me I have to pay 70$ more to get the Editor.
What the !@#$? You guys should really give us free editors. Help music improve, not your wallet. You're rich enough. :evil:

Sorry if there is a free one but if there isn't you really deserve this.

Barely

Re: Little Phatty Editor costs Money. Seriously?

Post by Barely » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:34 pm

Birdie wrote:I'm either blind that I can't find a free version of the LP Editor or you are just not giving one for free.
I've paid 1170 euros to buy a Little Phatty Stage II and you're telling me I have to pay 70$ more to get the Editor.
What the !@#$? You guys should really give us free editors. Help music improve, not your wallet. You're rich enough. :evil:

Sorry if there is a free one but if there isn't you really deserve this.
I was equally shocked,
but there are freeware Sysex dumpers (like Snoize Sysex Librarian on the Mac),
and you really can (and should) use the LP for editing. I don't really see the use of an editor,
maybe that's what Moog thought, as well ;)

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:53 pm

One good use of an editor is to provide an easy way of comparing patches, categorizing patches (beyond 13 character name), creating 'sets' of patches, or to make broad changes to several patches at the same time (for instance to enable the Arp with common settings).

But you are right, the cost is a turn off. EDIT: But I think a 3rd party developed and sells the software. Moog, having limited resources can only do so much and I think we can all agree that they do a bang-up job concentrating on their core competency.

Changes to Phatty code over the most recent term specifically have (I think) caused havoc on the made-for-phatty librarians out there, at least I think that is the case. Due to the fixed 373 bytes per SysEx patch, the software guys had to cram settings and move bytes around in order to add all of the new features and I think (I'm not sure, but I think) that values are not bound to symbolic labels, so the 14th bytes is encoded for a specific parameter.

I have a Korg Radias and it has an absolutely terrific Patch librarian and it's free. It lets you drag and drop across banks, etc.

For my Phatty, I just struggle with SysEx librarian on my Mac. It's low budget and a struggle but at least it lets me perform two basic functions; save a patch, re-load a patch.
Last edited by EMwhite on Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

c7sus

Post by c7sus » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:57 am

MIDI-OX will store and reload patches as Sys.ex files.
Voyager EB #165, T3 #292, MF-101, 102, 103, 104SD, 2x104MSD, 105M, 107, 108M, MP-201, VX-351, CP-251, Frostwave Fat Controller.

Kenneth

Post by Kenneth » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:32 am

All phatties should come with a free download of the editor software.
Moog Matriarch, ARP Odyssey MKII, Roland Juno-60, Yamaha DX7, Yamaha VSS-30

Barely

Post by Barely » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:20 pm

Kenneth wrote:All phatties should come with a free download of the editor software.
Yes,
but Moog didn't program them, Soundtower did. I guess lowering hardware cost for, say 30 USD (estimate) wasn't discussable, they had no time to write it themselves, so they outsourced the editor.
Like Dave Smith Instruments, by the way. Both the DSI and Moog Synths are VERY well programmable from the hardware, and most people wouldn't take a look with their ass at the editor. At DSI, only the PEK Rack, which desperately needs an editor, ships with it for free, the others need to be purchased at - guess where? Soundtower :)
See it this way, guys: Your moog got cheaper this way, and if you must, you can support another small company. All three, Moog, DSI and Soundtower are tiny little spots on the music industry, and they make instruments for a tiny little audience, for people who know the difference - us! ;) But I guess Moog is the biggest of the three ;)
And yeah, Snoize Sysex Librarian and MidiOX work well. I only wish the LP would show the name of the save destination, not only the number. Maybe a higher OS version than mine does that...

sine

Post by sine » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:52 am

Birdie wrote:You're rich enough.
Just curious, how do you know this?

Kenneth

Post by Kenneth » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:46 pm

I can't help but feel that had Bob been around, he'd have made sure to get it out for free to those who'd spent a lot of money on a Phatty.
Moog Matriarch, ARP Odyssey MKII, Roland Juno-60, Yamaha DX7, Yamaha VSS-30

Assar

Post by Assar » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:01 pm

I don't really see the necessity of an phatty editor. Yes, it would make the lcd-editing a bit easier. But the phatty is 'optimized' equipped with button for enough functions and in general very easy to work with. Of course Moog won't provide an editor for free. It's not their cup of tea.

I have a DSI Tetra, a synth that is absolutely hopeless to work with without the editor. I guess DSI knows that and have some kind of deal with Soundtower to provide an editor with basic functions (with the hope of selling the extra featured version [business model: Freemium]).
But that's a whole different synth from the phatty ...
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Little Phatty TE #1045 | Etherwave Theremin
Stockholm, Sweden - - - Listen at: assar.se

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

theglyph

Post by theglyph » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:32 pm

Kenneth wrote:I can't help but feel that had Bob been around, he'd have made sure to get it out for free to those who'd spent a lot of money on a Phatty.
Why?

Bob was around when the Voyager editor came out and it wasn't free. This whole thread is ridiculous.

Maybe the LP should come with a CV pedal for free. After all those CV inputs are useless without one and Moog can surely afford to include it considering the LP's price.

nikola

Post by nikola » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:04 am

theglyph wrote:
Kenneth wrote:I can't help but feel that had Bob been around, he'd have made sure to get it out for free to those who'd spent a lot of money on a Phatty.
Why?

Bob was around when the Voyager editor came out and it wasn't free. This whole thread is ridiculous.

Maybe the LP should come with a CV pedal for free. After all those CV inputs are useless without one and Moog can surely afford to include it considering the LP's price.
+1 :D
was i pushed or did i fall ?

Electrolight

Post by Electrolight » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:36 pm

what I don't get is that moog recently brought out a vst editor for one of the moogerfoogers which WAS free

Electrolight

Post by Electrolight » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:58 am

If this works that would be fabulous!!
http://code.google.com/p/ctrlr/download ... tle+phatty for mac
http://code.google.com/p/ctrlr/download ... tle+phatty for windows
haven't tested them yet though

mesa

Post by mesa » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:40 am

Electrolight wrote:If this works that would be fabulous!!
http://code.google.com/p/ctrlr/download ... tle+phatty for mac
http://code.google.com/p/ctrlr/download ... tle+phatty for windows
haven't tested them yet though

Yes this works and works really well, Everything you would want the editor to do it can ,
the editor controls the phatty and the phatty controls the editor
Call your sound you was working on in the project from the editor without even saving that sound to the phatty just save the daw or you can save the pre set to your computer to recall it .And best bit for me is I can use automation in the arrangement view in ableton

I would have Payed the money to Rekon If they would have made the editor as good as this.
Moog Slim phatty, Moog Sub 37, Moog Minataur, Dave Smith Tetra, Win10 64bit, Ableton Live 9.6, Ableton Push, Focusrite Scarlet 6I6, Arturia Beatstep Pro.

theshaggyfreak

Post by theshaggyfreak » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:55 pm

My biggest problem with giving money to Soundtower is their support is terrible. I found a major bug with their Mopho software and it took them several months to even reply to me and that was after having someone from Dave Smith give them a nudge.
William 'Shaggy' Chrapcynski
http://www.pureshift.com