TouchOSC template for Phatty

Everything Phatty.
tagirov

TouchOSC template for Phatty

Post by tagirov » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:31 pm

Hi folks.

I've recently made a custom Phatty control template for TouchOSC for the iPad.
It is based on Phatty OS 3.1.671 midi implementation and allows you to edit almost all available parameters for a current preset.

It works directly with Phatty via USB cable, connected to the iPad with Apple Camera Connection kit for the iPad
Main control screen
Main control screen
Additional controls
Additional controls
Total Filter screen
Total Filter screen
TouchOSC for the iPad is available here for $4.99:
http://itunes.apple.com/app/touchosc/id288120394

Read how to install TouchOSC layouts:
http://hexler.net/docs/touchosc-configuration-layout

How to setup CoreMIDI connection:
http://hexler.net/docs/touchosc-configu ... s-coremidi

Preparing:
0) This template suggests your Phatty is set to MIDI Channel 1.
1) Switch off the Phatty, connect it to the iPad with USB cable via Apple camera connection adapter
2) Power up the Phatty.
3) Load the TouchOSC app on the iPad with MoogControl template (you need to load it before as described in TouchOSC docs).

If your setup is correct, now you can edit the Phatty's parameters from the screen. Also, if you do some changes on the Phatty, you will see how TouchOSC handles them on the screen.

Feel free to download and test this template and let me know what you think of it.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12118770/MoogCo ... uchOSC.zip

Note: Sadly, touchOSC can't do "Get Patch" to set all Preset parameters on the screen. So, if you don't touch a fader or button on the screen, it remains in its initial state, which could be different to actual value in the Phatty, and it does not affect the preset sound unless you touch it and make any changes.
Best regards, Ruslan Tagirov.

Toyz: MBPro+Live 9.x+LogicProX, Moog: LP StageII/Sub37/Grandmother/MF-104m/MG-105m, Nord: Stage2 SW73/ModularG2Engine, Roland: MC909/TR-8, Korg: MS-20, R-3, OTO: Bisquit/BIM, etc.

fishman77

Re: TouchOSC template for Phatty

Post by fishman77 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:06 am

That is very awesome. Thanks for sharing! I'm going to try it out tomorrow.
-Adam
Adam Embree
www.thesolutionmusic.com

Electrolight

Post by Electrolight » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:43 am

Wow this might actually be the final excuse for me to buy an iPad :D

only thing that would be a REALLY cool addition to TouchOsc is a step sequencer :shock:

tagirov

Post by tagirov » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:37 am

Sadly, TouchOSC doesn't have embedded step sequencer (

Also, current version doesn't support some important features:
1) If you have 2 controls for the same parameter and you change one of them, TouchOSC doesn't change the state of the second control (i.e. if i have rotary control assigned to Filter Cutoff and XY pad's X-axis assigned to Cutoff too, and I change the Cutoff with XY pad, my rotary control remains unchanged)
2) We can't get actual state of all controls from a synth, there is no special function for it. The only way is to 'tell' the instrument to 'send all current CC values to the iPad' (is it possible for the Phatty without sysex?), or if you manually change each and every parameter in the preset
3) We can't save the state of the current TouchOSC screen as 'preset' on the iPad and then load it when we want.
4) Current version of TouchOSC natively doesn't support sequencing and MIDI sync.
5) We can only assign pre-defined midi channel and specific MIDI parameter or OSC message to the control, we can't dynamically define assignments for the controls (i.e. selecting midi channel with dedicated control and then assigning this channel to other controls).

But, TouchOSC allows fast editing of some hidden features of the Phatty, and that's why I did this template.

Toyz: MBPro+Live 9.x+LogicProX, Moog: LP StageII/Sub37/Grandmother/MF-104m/MG-105m, Nord: Stage2 SW73/ModularG2Engine, Roland: MC909/TR-8, Korg: MS-20, R-3, OTO: Bisquit/BIM, etc.

point.source

Post by point.source » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:02 am

Hey man, that's great!

DO you think it's possible to make a patch like this one for MAX for live?

The one available here only controls the cutoff, eg ammount and overload.

tagirov

Post by tagirov » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:36 am

point.source wrote:Hey man, that's great!

DO you think it's possible to make a patch like this one for MAX for live?

The one available here only controls the cutoff, eg ammount and overload.
I think of re-designing my old Max for Live device this weekend, to implement all the things as in this TouchOSC.

Moogtard

Post by Moogtard » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:23 pm

Hello,

This has been a great template thanks for making it! Would you by chance be working on a new one for the new OS?

tagirov

Post by tagirov » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:27 am

Hi
Currently, I lost my ipad and don't use TouchOSC, sorry