Has anybody else's LP blown up spontaneously?

Everything Phatty.
hahuusko

Has anybody else's LP blown up spontaneously?

Post by hahuusko » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:52 pm

Well, I'm exaggerating a bit...but today, in the middle of a band rehearsal, my LP Stage suddenly made a popping sound. It didn't come from the speakers, but the instrument itself. Then all the lights blinked for a little while and finally some smoke came out.

The warranty of my LP had already expired, so I decided to open it and see what had happened: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10297487/moog.jpg

The component C10 (whatever it is) had burnt, but I didn't notice other damage. I hope there isn't any. Hopefully I can also get it fixed here in Finland. Sending it to the States (and back) would be too expensive. But anyway, I would have expected that my LP wouldn't have broken so soon, just after about three years. :(

ricknboogie

Re: Has anybody else's LP blown up spontaneously?

Post by ricknboogie » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:00 pm

That's just plain bizzarre! Sorry for your loss. i've had 2 Little Phatty's, an original Stage, and now a Stage II, and they've both been used extensively, and without issue. Sometimes, no matter how well an electronic product is put together, bad things happen. It's the nature of complex electronics, plenty to go wrong, and sometimes, they do. hope you get it up and running soon.

christopher1966

Post by christopher1966 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:21 pm

waou
do you know why?
i hope for you, you can repair it.
good luck and let us know.
chris

Sore_Knee

Post by Sore_Knee » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:19 pm

tantalum capicitor go bang. when they fail, they go short circuit.

my guess, being right next to 2 test points -15V and +15V that c9 and c10 are bypass caps. when c10 failed, it would have pulled down the positive rail, but shouldn't have damaged anything *fingers crossed*.

Try replace (or getting replaced) the capacitor, hopefully it will come good again.

*wow 13700s everywhere*

coultrain

Post by coultrain » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:42 pm

Mine just blew up this afternoon. Im so upset! :(

Same thing, pop then smoke. I havent opened it up yet though. Does anyone have experience with moog RMA? How fast are they, and how many hours do they charge? I am not sure but my warranty may have just expired only 3 months ago! :( Could they make an exception??

aisling

Post by aisling » Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:55 am

coultrain wrote:Mine just blew up this afternoon. Im so upset! :(

Same thing, pop then smoke. I havent opened it up yet though. Does anyone have experience with moog RMA? How fast are they, and how many hours do they charge? I am not sure but my warranty may have just expired only 3 months ago! :( Could they make an exception??
Sorry for your hassle. I have an RMA for a minifooger delay that just went belly up 3 months after warranty expired. Over A week later so far, and I have not heard anything back yet from moog. I imagine they must be busy and will get back to me hopefully soon....

Hope my sub phatty and sub 37 stay strong and healthy.

coultrain

Post by coultrain » Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:58 pm

Too bad about your minifooger.

It is disappointing that, like low quality washer and dryers, the moog warranty expires just before the product does.

aisling

Post by aisling » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:43 pm

coultrain wrote:Too bad about your minifooger.

It is disappointing that, like low quality washer and dryers, the moog warranty expires just before the product does.
And that is where I get a little hemorrhoidal over the scenario. I bought the moog based on it's sound, but also a "made in america," quality of build. My boss dd-3 lasted 20+ years with relative abuse (outside gigs, smoke, indoor dive bar gigs, etc...), the minifooger has low hours, indoor usage only, smoke free, no abuse, etc...
On a side note I just bought a GE microwave for 1.5X more than the one it replaced, and it seemed like doo-do compared to the 7 year old one I was using. It was loud, buzzy, and seemed like a poorer build quality. I went back to the old one.

coultrain

Post by coultrain » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:41 am

Sore_Knee wrote:tantalum capicitor go bang. when they fail, they go short circuit.

my guess, being right next to 2 test points -15V and +15V that c9 and c10 are bypass caps. when c10 failed, it would have pulled down the positive rail, but shouldn't have damaged anything *fingers crossed*.

Try replace (or getting replaced) the capacitor, hopefully it will come good again.

*wow 13700s everywhere*
My C9 is the burned out capacitor, right next to OPs burned out C10. I really really hope none of the other components are fried. Dont see any more damage though. Anyone have a clue how involved this replacement of the c9 component is?

Lol aisling, check out the origin stamp on that board!! MADE IN CHINA!!!
Attachments
IMG_20160207_202022819.jpg
IMG_20160207_202057778.jpg

aisling

Post by aisling » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:43 am

^ :shock: :( but the actual units are assembled in the US hopefully? Or do I need to buy a Roland in order to get an American made synth :)