SP CV-in experiments

Everything Phatty.
banyek

SP CV-in experiments

Post by banyek » Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:16 am

have you ever tried plugging somethng '"strange" into the Filter/Vol/Pitch CV in of the SP (e.g. a headphones out of a TV, a pocket radio, etc.)? have you had any successes (whatever you might call a "success" in art...), and especially are there any do's and dont's with that? i might have read here in another thread about the possibilities and effects of that, though it was only a speculation about these things. thanks!
moog slim phatty, carbon copy mxr, electribe es-1, vermona drm-1, Doepfer A-125, A-106-5, A-143-9, MFOS 16-step sequencer, zoom h2

Electrolight

Re: SP CV-in experiments

Post by Electrolight » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:05 am

I was doing some crazy stuff with routing the output of the phatty itself to the CV in of the filter and pitch, pretty funny results! sometimes really phat sounding too
I don't know about any do's or don'ts, so I'm curious about that :)

banyek

Post by banyek » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:28 am

Nice ideas, thanks!
I have plugged in my pocket-radio with a y-cable so it both affects pitch and filter-cv. you can get pretty interesting textures as the radio "talks through" the filter and pitch.

this one, for instance turned out to be pretty creepy :D

http://soutiengorge.hu/tmp/cv-experiment-two.mp3
moog slim phatty, carbon copy mxr, electribe es-1, vermona drm-1, Doepfer A-125, A-106-5, A-143-9, MFOS 16-step sequencer, zoom h2

Lazerface

Post by Lazerface » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:42 am

THAT IS AWESOME.

could you just use a microphone with a y-cable and talk through the pitch and filter...like a vocoder? :shock:

Amos

Post by Amos » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:27 am

Lazerface wrote:THAT IS AWESOME.

could you just use a microphone with a y-cable and talk through the pitch and filter
Yes although you might need a mixer to amplify the microphone to good Control Voltage levels; microphones usually put out only a small signal on their own.
Lazerface wrote:...like a vocoder? :shock:
No it won't be like a vocoder, which is a much more complex affair requiring many bandpass filters, envelope followers and VCAs. But it will probably sound cool. :)

banyek

Post by banyek » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:18 am

Amos wrote: But it will probably sound cool. :)
indeed :D you can get very nice and subtle textures!

Lazerface

Post by Lazerface » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:45 am

Amos wrote:
Lazerface wrote:THAT IS AWESOME.

could you just use a microphone with a y-cable and talk through the pitch and filter
Yes although you might need a mixer to amplify the microphone to good Control Voltage levels; microphones usually put out only a small signal on their own.
Lazerface wrote:...like a vocoder? :shock:
No it won't be like a vocoder, which is a much more complex affair requiring many bandpass filters, envelope followers and VCAs. But it will probably sound cool. :)

weekend's mission is try this.
I didnt mean EXACTLY like a vocoder...just the talking through a synthesizer part :wink:

banyek

Post by banyek » Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:35 am

Lazerface wrote:weekend's mission is try this. I didnt mean EXACTLY like a vocoder...just the talking through a synthesizer part :wink:
sure! :) well, our next stop here will be feeding a drum machine into it. it will surely be nice as it's gonna get into the groove :)

banyek

Post by banyek » Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:50 am

this time, i've plugged in an FM radio's broadcast. obviously, the speech bears more clarity, and it has a kind of "ring-modulated" sound:
http://soutiengorge.hu/tmp/cv-experiment-three.mp3