LP issues with ableton 8 and humming

Everything Phatty.
hughyg

LP issues with ableton 8 and humming

Post by hughyg » Sun May 29, 2011 9:46 am

Hi
Im having issues with the little phatty and ableton. It constantly resets the patch Im working on. I go to record and it resets all the parameters to 0.It appears to be recording the data as a modulation even though im not moving any of the knobs?!? I have a midi channel with the lp as the input and the lp as the output. it is very frustrating as i am continuously loosing the patch :(

Also, what type of cables should I be using. I have a saffire LE firewire audio interface. I know the manual says it has unbalance outputs. However, I am getting a lot of humming when I use the hosa unbalanced cable with the audio interface.
Thanks in advance
Hughyg

keef321

Re: LP issues with ableton 8 and humming

Post by keef321 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:18 am

Hi Hughyg,

I have a slim phatty (not little phatty), so not exactly the same setup as you, but perhaps I have some tips that might work.

Sounds like your phatty is acting a bit strange, just like mine was, until I switched off "LOCAL CTRL". If you are going to use your phatty through your DAW (Live) whilst using MIDI IN & OUT, you might be getting a Midi Feedback Loop, which will cause all weird things to happen . To sort this out, on your phatty, you need to go to the MIDI SETUP MENU, and set LOCAL CTRL to "OFF". I then suggest restarting your computer, audio interface and phatty, then checking that it is still set to LOCAL CTRL OFF before giving it a go (I had to do this on my system, to flush it out as such).

Right, cables,ummm, well I have just the USB hooked straight up to my computer. If this works for you, I then suggest that in Live you select the phatty as an external instrument. You choose External Instrument from where you would find things like "Simpler" in Live. You then simply select "Phatty" from the list, and select the correct midi channels (most prob set up as channel 1 on your phatty for both).

Other cables you are going to need to set up, are, an audio cable coming from the audio output of the phatty to Input 1 of the LINE IN sockets on the front panel of your saffire (and make sure that Input 1 - is selected in Live's Audio Preferences).

I had a humming noise, and found out it was a ground feedback problem. This was sorted by plugging my phatty into another socket (i.e. not on the same extension lead as other audio equipment, such as your computer/audio interface). This seemed to work for me.

I suggest that you do a search for some of my posts/threads, from not long ago, as the above is described in much more detail there.

I also ended up updating my OS to the latest Beta, but that is at your risk of course (not that anything major should happen, as AMOS is on the ball) !!

Hope this helps.