Saveable PWM Bass Sounds on Slim Phatty?

Everything Phatty.
Briman

Saveable PWM Bass Sounds on Slim Phatty?

Post by Briman » Sat May 21, 2011 4:15 pm

Hey Amos...

Thanks for all your hard work... in Beta Programming the upcoming Official 3.1 OS release!

Here's another scenario for Ya:

I have always loved PWM Bass sounds... as well as "detuned" Bass sounds!
When I program a PWM sound on my new SP (latest build 660)... by selecting Source "TRI" ... and LFO Destination "Wave"...
then pushing, holding "Amount"... and turning it up full... using just OSC 1 in the Pulse Wave area...
and tweaking the Filter... I can get a very cool PWM Bass sound!

However... when I Save it as a Patch... then go to other Patches... the MOD Amount is still "Full Up"...
carried over from the PWM Patch I just programmed?! So then... any selected Patch is now going crazy with Full Modulation?!

So the MOD Amount I set for the PWM Patch seems to be GLOBAL...
and not saved in the Patch?! To get out of this Mod mode on everything... I did a quick reboot.

Then... when I go to the just saved "PWM Bass Sound"... there's no LFO "Amount" to Wave saved?!
So it's become just a boring 1 OSC sound... with no movement?!

Is it not possible then... to "Save" real PWM Patches on the SP?

btw: It would be very useful to use a PWM type sound... especially during the initial SP warm up period...
as even though using a constant "Auto Tune" setting... it still takes a good 30 minutes to warm up...
so that Patches saved with a slight de-tune... "warm up into those values"... to sound in tune!

In other words... if actual PWM Bass Patches can't be saved...
then on Power Up... "detuned" Bass Patches can't be used for at least 30 minutes...
rendering the SP pretty much unusable... unless I just use a 1 OSC type... non detuned, non PWM type sound!
(btw: SP mounted in a rack behind me... so not really tweakable during live use)

Using the Mod Wheel to get a "Saved" PWM Patch back... really shouldn't be the only option!
i.e... It's not required on my old Roland MKS-50. Any PWM Amount set... is saved in it's Patches!

Anyways... just saying that saveable, actual PWM Patches would be a good addition to the upcoming...
Official 3.1 OS release! Many thanks Amos!

Cheers,
Brian :)

Sir Nose

Re: Saveable PWM Bass Sounds on Slim Phatty?

Post by Sir Nose » Sat May 21, 2011 10:35 pm

Sounds like a new bug. I am glad the os was released as a beta to flush these out. I have been able to save PWM patches in the past without the behavior you are talking about.

Amos

Post by Amos » Tue May 24, 2011 3:01 am

I don't think its a bug, it's that what you're doing on the SP is the equivalent of turning up the Mod Wheel on the Little Phatty.

There was an intentional decision to have mod wheel amount always be "live" or the actual wheel position on the Little Phatty; thus, no saving modulation depth per preset (as this would mean that every time you changed presets, the mod wheel value would no longer match the actual mod wheel).

For the Slim Phatty, it seems more sensible to save a "mod wheel amount" per preset since there's no physical mod wheel.

I will think about it. Already behind schedule for this release... maybe that goes on the list for next time? I can see the utility, for sure.

I added a Hold pedal implementation today... use the gate CV input jack to send MIDI Hold pedal messages and hold MIDI notes coming from the LP. Really fun with a poly stack of Phattys, or when using LP as a controller. This also might or might not make it into the current release... not sure if its perfect yet or how many people want such a feature (although it has been requested in the past).

jeepo

Post by jeepo » Tue May 24, 2011 5:07 pm

Amos wrote: I added a Hold pedal implementation today... use the gate CV input jack to send MIDI Hold pedal messages and hold MIDI notes coming from the LP. Really fun with a poly stack of Phattys, or when using LP as a controller. This also might or might not make it into the current release... not sure if its perfect yet or how many people want such a feature (although it has been requested in the past).
I would use that for sure. Sounds perfect for using my phatty with a polysynth.
Stage II, MF-102, MF-105m, MF-107, paia theremin, akai s2000, yamaha pss 680, yamaha cp 25, and other stuff

Amos

Post by Amos » Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:06 am

Briman wrote:Hey Amos...
Is it not possible then... to "Save" real PWM Patches on the SP?
.. just saying that saveable, actual PWM Patches would be a good addition to the upcoming...
Official 3.1 OS release!
Done! Actually I forgot to document this in the user notes for the new version, better put it in the documentation :)

On SP, when you press/hold MOD AMOUNT til it blinks, the Modulation knob sets "mod wheel" amount, or effectively it's setting the actual modulation depth...
this is now saved per preset. Switch to the next preset and it will default to the last actual mod wheel value received (or zero amount, if no mod wheel rx'd), or if that preset has a saved mod "wheel" amount it will load that up with the new preset's value.

It's late so I might not be explaining that super clearly... try it though, it works. if you set the modulation depth using an actual external MIDI mod wheel, that is not saved per preset. to save per-preset you must press/hold mod amount and use the modulation knob.
[edit] and then save the preset, perhaps I should mention...

Cheers,

Amos

Amos

Post by Amos » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:39 am

Amos wrote: On SP, when you press/hold MOD AMOUNT til it blinks, the Modulation knob sets "mod wheel" amount, or effectively it's setting the actual modulation depth...
this is now saved per preset.
has anyone tried this yet on the SP? It should be working in v3.1...

Briman

Post by Briman » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:31 pm

Hey Amos...

Sorry for my reply delay. YES!!! It does now work with OS 3.1 !!!
Many thanks for making it so! :)

One thing to note though... after you set up your PWM Patch and save it...
when you go to another Patch... the LFO "AMOUNT" is left still "flashing"...
so you have to press and hold it again... to get it out of that Mode.
Not a big deal though!

Thanks so much again Amos! :)

btw: I have some News to report on my SP's warmup time re: OS 3.1
but will post that on the... "SP Oscillator 2 taking forever to warm up..." page OK.

Cheers,
Brian :)

cowudders

Post by cowudders » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:28 pm

Hey Amos, nearly a decade later, thanks for the genius blinking MOD amount mode :)
Just got a used white SP which i just find awesome.

RobustAmerican

Post by RobustAmerican » Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:54 pm

cowudders wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:28 pm Hey Amos, nearly a decade later, thanks for the genius blinking MOD amount mode :)
Just got a used white SP which i just find awesome.
Wow, a "decade later" and this synth is still going strong...Congrats on getting the SP! Mine was a used purchase as well and I got it for an amazing price several years ago. I keep coming back to the SP for it's tone. The other synths in the room may have more bells and whistles but the sounds of the SP have more character. Simple as that...