Slim Phatty = Too Limited or am I Too Lazy?

Everything Phatty.
pedrogoya

Re: Slim Phatty = Too Limited or am I Too Lazy?

Post by pedrogoya » Fri May 13, 2011 7:47 pm

Thank You Amos. So, I will send each preset bank into SP, and then I'll choose "my favorite"...It's a pity that I cannot have all of them at the same time!
Thank you so much for your help. Really Appreciated!
If any doubt urges, I'll hit up!

Once again...thank you! You've been very helpful :)
pedro goya

Amos

Post by Amos » Fri May 13, 2011 8:54 pm

make a note of your favorite patches from each bank, as you try them...

Then when you pick your "favorite bank" you can replace your less-favorite individual patches in that bank, with your preferred patches from the other banks.
You can do this using the individual preset files as I described earlier. Select a less-favorite preset on the Phatty, then send a preferred single preset .syx file to replace it.

For people who want to demo all presets and mix 'n match them more easily, that is the purpose of the Phatty Editor/Librarian software from SoundTower (available from the Moog Music website). In the Editor/Librarian, you can have all 300 presets (or as many as you like) in your "library" on the computer, and it's easy to click & drag any of these presets into the Phatty.

Johnny_Cradle

Post by Johnny_Cradle » Mon May 16, 2011 8:26 am

Amos wrote:make a note of your favorite patches from each bank, as you try them...

Then when you pick your "favorite bank" you can replace your less-favorite individual patches in that bank, with your preferred patches from the other banks.
You can do this using the individual preset files as I described earlier. Select a less-favorite preset on the Phatty, then send a preferred single preset .syx file to replace it.

For people who want to demo all presets and mix 'n match them more easily, that is the purpose of the Phatty Editor/Librarian software from SoundTower (available from the Moog Music website). In the Editor/Librarian, you can have all 300 presets (or as many as you like) in your "library" on the computer, and it's easy to click & drag any of these presets into the Phatty.
It's just a field day/week for LP users, isn't it. 1st the firmware update and now a collection of the soundbanks. All peace, Amos!!!
http://www.johnnycradle.com/ | Little Phatty SII | Fender Rhodes 88

ZenHead

Post by ZenHead » Thu May 19, 2011 9:19 pm

I'm focused on Moog products at the moment. The lttle phat is the new center of my musical approach. I bought mine a month ago. I've been a guitarist for the last thirty years and only played keyboards half heartedly. Since I bought my LP I've told my guitar friends I'm through with the six strings, I'm now a keyboardest.

The one thing I think is the LP strength is the bass that it gets. Coupled with a cool filter sound...My God! No I'm not limited with the LP. My doors have just opened. I'm planning on reproducing the voyager with MoogFoogs, CP-251, and a multi pedal. (I think I'll throw an eitherwave into that.)

To me the LP gave me a glimpse onto the expansive musical world of voltage controlled analog musical devices. The key to all of this is expresiveness. Moog has created a new level of musical expression that rivals that of the guitar world; a pitch wheel never cut it for me. Let me get my fingers on a filter knob.

This is all because I got a LP a month ago and I'm not limited by it. In closing I'd like to say;

Voltage control...the final musical fronteer.
These are the voyages of the analog synth Little Phatty.
It's never ending mission.
To seek out new tones and wild cool vibes.
To boldly go where no synth has gone before.

Yeah!!! A little extream. But now you know where I'm at.

Be Zen

JWaltman

Post by JWaltman » Fri May 27, 2011 9:56 pm

the phatty ain't too limited for sure! It's an incredible synth! I still miss it every day.. but one day I'll have one again 8)

pedrogoya

Post by pedrogoya » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:57 pm

all perfect now! :D just got really used to it easily. Through your several sysex packages I've created my 99 favorite presets to use them as a starting point and I'm getting the job done exactly as I intended! Regarding some "jokes" above...we all have our working procedures. I know Moog's potential, and my way to achieve the sound I want is through some starting point (preset)..Where's the problem on that? There is no compendium on "how to make music properly". Do it your way, I'll do it mine!

Amos, regarding the midi controls. In some ways I just want to tweak a little control and put it back EXACTLY to where it was...manually it's quite hard to do it precisely. Do I have any way to control moog's automations as if it was a vst plugin? Does it has to be via Midi cc?

Thanks in advance
:)
Hope you're all well!
Pedro Goya

rokkinrikk

Post by rokkinrikk » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:26 pm

I've owned a SP for a week now and haven't felt compelled to save any presets. Not because I 'afraid' to overwrite the lack-lustre presets already loaded, but because this things is so analog in nature that it inspires me to create tones live in session. I'm sure as I use this more I'll save some besties, but right now I enjoy powering it up, and knob tweeking until I find a sound I love.

This things in analog\organic in nature and SCREAMS "twiddle me bits'...Also, keep in mind that this was also designed to be expanded via CV gear (hence the CV inputs on the back), so at some point I will be adding more modulation sources via Eurorack or other modules, essentially rendering the internal save schema as somewhat pointless.

100 presets? My Juno 106 has 64 (8 banks of 8), and I swear I have been using Bank 1 exclusively for a year or more. It's easy to get 'lost in presets'. I prefer to spend my time making sound and music than patch browsing. There are a lot of 'Preset' synths out there and none of them ever did it for me. It's all about giving a voice to your instrument thats refelective of your style and influeneces, not borrowing someone elses. Just my $.02....

Krimson8

Post by Krimson8 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:57 pm

No debate on this one.. The moog is ceiirtanly an instrument that gives you the hammer and the nails rather than the built chair. You defenetly have to be closer to very good on it in order for it to sound relatively well. Other wise it is a noisy and annoying knob twister with whacked out tones and frequencies with no musical scense plus you need to know melodies, riffs, licks catered to this specific instrument and how to play them , timing and rhythmically wise.

It's not like the piano or a synth with reverb and delay where Ive heard people that are pretty average but sound ok and you can hear them play a couple of songs with no problem. Then they try and take the moog for a spin.... And boy they end up regretting it wishing they would of left on a high note before they attempted the the moog! :)

Ultimately it as all about having fun ;)

Moodymoog66

Post by Moodymoog66 » Tue May 29, 2018 9:03 am

I found my Little Phatty so limited I traded it for an Anniversary Edition and bought 5 more Slim's. I thought my old Four Voice and MemoryMoog were back in the room.........

Tuskerfort

Post by Tuskerfort » Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:42 pm

Love the polyphonic phatty! :D

Want more sounds from your monophonic SP and have some other synths lying around? Read on ....

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=14650

misterpete

Post by misterpete » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:25 pm

THIS LINK is broken here — can someone *please* repost the Slim Phatty sounds AMOS posted
THANKS PETE

--- ps to original poster --> i love all my Moogs — for different reasons…

bought four new models last week and my mind is BLOWN between Grandmother,Matriarch God DFAM and the sweet SIRIN - thank you MOOG! - wow :D :shock: :D
still dig the SLIM though … if memory serves it was my second MOOG 'instrument' (not counting moogerfoogers/pedas etc) I bought the SLIM the year it came out …after I bought my first Voyager and I am still discovering/finding brand new sounds and uses for the SLIM *today* just like every last one of them
Amos wrote: Thu May 12, 2011 11:59 am OK, all jokes aside...

Here are hundreds of factory presets for Phatty:

http://seamslikereality.com/moog/Phatty_Sounds.zip

There are complete 100-sound banks (which will replace all sounds in your Phatty),
and also some collections of individual preset files (which will only replace the currently-active preset when sent).

It is true, though... part of the reason there are not 1000's of sounds built in, is because a very important aspect of using this instrument is to change the sound yourself, using the knobs! It's so easy and there is infinite variety... make the sound your own. :-)

Best,

Amos
Please Call Me, PETE
https://petedako.bandcamp.com/music
"Mr. Pete" at ModWiggler @petedako on Twitter,
Bandcamp & all the other platforms :D

BerryMerry

Post by BerryMerry » Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:27 am

misterpete wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:25 pm THIS LINK is broken here — can someone *please* repost the Slim Phatty sounds AMOS posted
THANKS PETE

--- ps to original poster --> i love all my Moogs — for different reasons…

bought four new models last week and my mind is BLOWN between Grandmother,Matriarch God DFAM and the sweet SIRIN - thank you MOOG! - wow :D :shock: :D
still dig the SLIM though … if memory serves it was my second MOOG 'instrument' (not counting moogerfoogers/pedas etc) I bought the SLIM the year it came out …after I bought my first Voyager and I am still discovering/finding brand new sounds and uses for the SLIM *today* just like every last one of them
wow you are like me, I bought my first Moog model last week as a present for myself this Xmas and I am really-really addicted to it now. I will also buy more models in future :D

P.S - I also want someone to please repost that Slim Phatty sound again as the previous link doesn't work anymore.

Thanks
Berry
A novice guitarist, music lover and blogger at www.rippednatural.com

Ledbetter

Post by Ledbetter » Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:17 am

There are banks available on Moog’s ite under Legacy Products-Phatty-Presets.

https://www.moogmusic.com/downloads?type=74
Former owner of Prodigy #2845 (purchased new, long ago), Animoog, Voyager Select (Fire & Maple), Little and Slim Phatties, Nord Electro 4D, 5D and Lead 2X, Roland AX-9.